Evaporative Cooling Vest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be trying out the LDComfort soak method during the camping trip this weekend. I've already gotten decent results from simple sweat soaking the LDComfort shirt (long sleeve); with the Stich cuffs unzipped and front zipper down a bit, the cooling effect is very noticeable...and nice.
it will work for a short period of time - a cooling vest like the MiraCool works all day.

I run with a Techniche vest as well. Up around these parts, a charge is good for about 3-4hrs. Going across the desert near Page AZ @ 100+F, about 20 minutes to bone dry.

I got mine at CycleGear on Sale for $19.99. I guess it was a Bilt brand.

I was on the FJR from Los Angeles to the Bay Area during last summers heat wave. Bike registered 118 from Orange County until I got to Ventura County. Then it dropped to 110, where it stayed until I gut up to Salinas.

I had to pull over about every 90 min to resoak the thing, as I dont do well in the heat and a 110 deg blast furnace isnt so nice.

Vest worked. For $20 I was happy.

Each individual has their preferences, but if I was stuck riding on hot ass weather for more than a few days, I'd pre-invest in the jacket that circulates the cold water through a cooler. Or I'd just stay home in the a/c and rail the girlfriend instead of ride in the heat. Feck that noise!

I've had a couple vests and while both worked well in the heat, the quality affects longevity.

The MiraCool, which has the absorbent stuff in a couple large bands, did not last long. I was not able to dry it out for storage despite hanging on a porch in Montana in 90F for two days, and when it was time to saddle up again, it was moldy. I used it anyway until the smell started to get into the 'stich before I threw it away. I think I got 3-4 days use out of it.

Next up I tried the TechNiche. This has the aborbent material nicely dispersed throughout in smaller quilted pockets. It dries quickly (even here in the humid midwest and after two years mildew is not a problem.

What I have found is that the vests are often unnecessary. On hot days I'll wear biker shorts, a tight compression / wicking shirt, and dress socks under the 'stich with all vents open. And hydrate. A lot. This works so well I'm not sure I want to haul around the cooling vest anymore.

Just some general hot weather thoughts, since it's late May. Despite the chilly drizzle we're enjoying here, I KNOW it will soon be too hot.

On the cooling vest, nothing like it. When I get home from a ride when I used mine, I spread it open over a chair outside till it dries, and it does. Takes a while. If I'm going back out, it goes too, even if still damp. No moldy or mildew-y smell, and this will be its third summer.

Camelbak--good idea, and every fast food joint has ice in their soda machine. Only thing is, to me, Camelbak brand is pretty expensive--maybe $75. Quality may be better, but mine cost under $20 at Costco. Some other tips, maybe most of you know already: 1. When you take a drink, blow air back into the water till the hose is cleared. Saves a couple HOT swallows the next time. (learned that one right here :) ) 2. CLEAN the hose at least a couple times each season. It was appalling to see the piece of cloth I dragged thru the hose with a wire the first time I did this. A couple more passes (with a different piece of cloth--duh) will do the job. 3. I like the Camelbak brand tablets REI sells--turns your water into something like Gatorade, but again, expensive (about $1 per tablet). Other sugar-free products work too.

Karl and I got the Miracle Cool Vest. And it worked...it was only 60 freakin degrees in Death Valley today....in May even.

It's a miracle!