Experience with Michelin Pilot Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEA-FJR

Reaction score
Caught a nail on my Michelin Pilot Road tires, which after 3,500 miles had tons of thread left. Argh! :angry: Nobody wants to repair the tire (liability concerns), so I'm looking at replacing. Dealer who has a tire sale doesn't have the Pilot Road in stock, but recommended the Pilot Power instead for a pretty good deal ($151, rear). My biggest concern is tire wear. I don't ride overly aggressive, so I prefer to trade some stickiness for longer life -- the Pilot Roads seemed to fit the bill.

Anyone running the Pilot Power tires? How many miles can I reasonably expect from them?

Thanks!

Google Disclaimer: Did my searches, found lots of tire threads, but none answered my specific question. ;)

SEA,

I went with the Power 2CT on my first change, primarily due to my riding habits. I don't get on the bike unles I can go at least 4 or 5 hours , and I mostly ride in rural/mountian/twisty stuff (I walk to work, work lots of hours, and getting out of Seoul is a chore....but once out it is great). I am by no means a MotoGP racer, but the difference between the OEM Metz's and these things are phenomenal. The level of control and ability to power on while leaned over truly defines my riding experience.

Having said all that, If you are primarily a slab rider, it ain't worth it. I put these on at 4500 and am approaching 10K and the center tread is showing enough wear that I am working on another rear tire. The front is fine. I will be running the Power 2CT for my next purchase, but will then try a Power Front and Road rear set-up, just to try something a little different, and to see what kind of performance and life I get from the road.

BTW is the $151 for a Power 2CT or just a regular Power? There are 2CT's available from RideNow Powersports on Ebay for $161, and there service is exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone running the Pilot Power tires?

Google Disclaimer: Did my searches, found lots of tire threads, but none answered my specific question. ;)
Yet I was able to find this thread, this thread, and others in about 22 seconds when I entered "pilot power" site:fjrforum.com in Google. And it's referenced in Best of NEPRT as well.

Hmmm. Maybe I should figure out how to make money with my mad skillz!

Yet I was able to find this thread, this thread, and others in about 22 seconds when I entered "pilot power" site:fjrforum.com in Google. And it's referenced in Best of NEPRT as well.

Those posts are about 2CT's. I'm asking about Pilot Power (no CT anything).

SEA,
BTW is the $151 for a Power 2CT or just a regular Power? There are 2CT's available from RideNow Powersports on Ebay for $161, and there service is exceptional.
Thanks for your response. This is helpful, even though the dealer is offering me the regular Pilot Power, not the 2CT. I was hoping without the 2CT they might be less sticky but wear longer. The 5,500 miles you got out of yours seems pretty good compared to what others here on the board have been saying. Some get as little as 3,500 out of them.

Not a slab rider by any means, like the twisties but don't take them where I feel I reach the limit even on the Pilot Roads that came with the bike. Maybe I'll just give them a try and see if I notice a difference.

Those posts are about 2CT's. I'm asking about Pilot Power (no CT anything).
And yet, there are many other links that aren't about the 2 CT's like this thread, this thread, etc. with 14 more seconds of looking. They're there...you just have to read. ;)

I got 4,000 miles out of a Pilot front on mountain roads. If you don't consider yourself an aggressive rider, you're wasting your money on a sport tire. Get something equivalent to a Dunlop RoadSmart or a Michelin Road 2. That's my 2 cents worth.

And yet, there are many other links that aren't about the 2 CT's like this thread, this thread, etc. with 14 more seconds of looking. They're there...you just have to read. ;)
You should know from our earlier interaction this week that I do know how to google. In link 1 people are wondering the same question I'm asking but no answer is given. Link 2 is about Pilot Road and Pilot Road2 with one casual mention of Pilot Power, again not answering this question.

I do agree with you that you do have to read. ;)

I got 4,000 miles out of a Pilot front on mountain roads. If you don't consider yourself an aggressive rider, you're wasting your money on a sport tire. Get something equivalent to a Dunlop RoadSmart or a Michelin Road 2. That's my 2 cents worth.
Thanks. Not a big Dunlop fan, so I'll see if I can find a decent deal on a Pilot Road or Pilot Road 2.

Just to mention on this OLD thread I did a search on Powers and ended up here. I'm not concerned with all the PR2 or PR threads.

All the search screaming around here and when one does it gets them no where.

depends on what you want in a tire. i'd not choose the PP as you're trading too much longevity for grip. My SonInLaw has PP on his Datyona 600 and really like them (and they last well given the lighter, less powerful bike). my OEM stones were seriously cupped in the front at 4k miles and toasted in the back in 6k miles. i would expect the same (or worse) from the PP as they are a stickier tire than the PR. That i get pretty much a dependable 10k miles out of a rear PR, that makes me happy.

Wait for some mad skillz dude to show up again...maybe...
I searched and read my ass off last night. Most were threads/posts from '06-'07 and were speculations IMO. I'd probably agree with some of the wear concerns and don't know about the high speed wondering until I try it. I scored a extra set of wheels with brand new zero mile PP's on them. I'm going to try them out for myself because I ride more on the sport side of the spectrum.

Maybe old news but just found out the OE BT020's are discontinued. That's what's on my steed now and are wasted at 3500 miles, so PP's can't be much worse. I'm putting PR2's on the wheels that have the Stones on currently but I'm still going to give the PP's a go.

Hey SeaFjr,

I have a brand new PR2 sitting in the garage that I won't need for a while. Buy me a replacement and you can have the one sitting there. PM me!