Factory spline lube on '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miker

Reaction score
After staying up for several nights worrying if the drive shaft on my '08 had been neglected from the factory, I decided to go ahead and pull it when I did the 600 mile service. I followed the directions on FJRTech, and it went textbook.

Much to my relief, the wheel splines and the shaft splines were well coated in a dark grease (looked like Moly-Graphite). Also, the shaft itself was coated with oil, and was nice and shiny. :yahoo:

So for those of you, who have not looked at your drive shaft lately, but are worried about it because of postings regarding rusty shafts and worn-out teeth, there is hope that it is just fine form the factory. Or perhaps, Yamaha is watching this forum and fixed it with the 2008 model year bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miker, don't get too excited. It's a special Yamaha lube on the drive shaft that's guaranteed to be completely gone by the time the bike rolls 4,000 miles. I pulled the drive shaft when I changed tires at 8,000 miles and, while there was no appreciable grease on the shaft there was also no rusting or pitting. I put moly on the splines of the driveshaft and on the rear end. I also put grease along the length of the shaft. I tried to get my wife to grease my shaft but she said she had a headache...

Yours was probably all lubed up because Yamaha has been reading posts on this and other forums about members getting new bikes with DRY splines, etc.

I lubed my 07 this past weekend at 2700 miles. It had some grease, but it was very apparant the grease was not sufficient and appeared to be "breaking down."

Also, I got a wonderful surprise this morning as I headed off to work on my 07. The first time I hit my rear brake I was pleasantly surprised to see the brake didn't work..... then I remembered that I pulled the rear tire off and thus there would be a lapse in the braking upon first usage just as I had a lapse in memory in forgetting that very important detail.

Thanks Warchild for the info you posted! This maintenance is so easy... makes me be thankful again I don't have a bmw.

The driveshaft thing gets a lot of attention, but i often wonder if it is supposed to be lightly lubed. I pulled mine mine last year and found barely any lube on just the first 1/4 inch on the front end. Otherwise realtively "dry". No damage was apparent although there is a light rippling effect that you can see onthe shiny parts of the splines, but frankly, how does this thing work dry?

Well, I probably overlubed it, but I fully coated the splines on both ends with an even coat of Honda Moly and the rest of the shaft with a very light coat of the moly. Hey, I was already mess. I haven't pulled it back out to see if it is dragging much dirt in there.

I am curious if anyone else has done this and found an appreciable amount of dirt following it up in there. I imagine sometime this summer I will get around to yanking it back out and checking it.

paul from Minnesota

Decided to pull the pumkin and check my slines on mine while I had the rear tire off replacing it due to nail (see other post).

Splines were well lubricated though bike has only 600 miles. As other suggest, I am wondering if the lube Yammie is using breaks down and evaporates over time of being used. Anyway, I cleaned the slines and put new Pro Honda Moly 60 past on them. I plan on pulling it again to inspect when I do the 4000 mile service.

Decided to pull the pumkin and check my slines on mine while I had the rear tire off replacing it due to nail (see other post).
Splines were well lubricated though bike has only 600 miles. As other suggest, I am wondering if the lube Yammie is using breaks down and evaporates over time of being used. Anyway, I cleaned the slines and put new Pro Honda Moly 60 past on them. I plan on pulling it again to inspect when I do the 4000 mile service.
OH NO! You used HONDA Moly on a YAMAHA.....Boy your shaft is gonna fall off! <_<

What the hell am I talking about...I have Honda heated grips! I'm not going to be able to grip my shaft! :blink:

Doesn't the Dealership lube the spline & mount the wheels?

My experience:

07 FJR - No lube on the spline @ 800 miles (purchased at Yamaha of Louisville)

08 FJR - Plenty o' spline lube @ 600 miles (purchased at D&H - Cullman, AL)

Doesn't the Dealership lube the spline & mount the wheels?
Nope. FJR is deliverd in crate with rear wheel mounted. So there is no reason for them to open it all up. FYI, front wheel nor front fender is mounted, so the dealer does need to install those.

My 05 FJR came from Honda East and when I checked the drive shaft splines at 3000 miles there was no lube on the splines and they were rusted. I have pulled and lubed the shaft with every tire change since.

Just traded for an 08 FJR at Yamaha of Louisville and I will pull the shaft at the 500 mile oil change this time.

Do the dealers pull & service the shaft before delivery??? I seriously doubt it as its not on the pre delivery checklist.

08 FJR,

After about 500 miles the steering bearings loosened up. OBTW this is considered an adjustment and not warrenteed!!! So i was

told at the local dealer. Now i have a clunk in the front end. They checked the torque on the steering nut it was fine. They estimate 75 to 130 smackers to adjust.

08 FJR,
After about 500 miles the steering bearings loosened up. OBTW this is considered an adjustment and not warrenteed!!! So i was

told at the local dealer. Now i have a clunk in the front end. They checked the torque on the steering nut it was fine. They estimate 75 to 130 smackers to adjust.
The steering nut (on top) isn't where the adjustment needs to take place. It isn't that hard of a job, and you'll undoubtedly need to do it again some time, so you may as well learn how and just do it yourself.