Factory Warranty runs out on Monday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrrrr

Reaction score
With 40yrs of riding experience, multiple motorcycles over the years and a more than one bike in the garage now, I have very rarely taken any of them into the dealership for service. In the past I was a ASE master automotive tech so I'm handy with the wrenches. Recently, the local Yamaha dealership moved closer to me, the bike needed a yearly state inspection so that I could renew the tag and I said "what the heck" I'll have them look at a possible warranty issue while it's in. This is my 2nd Gen 2 FJR and my prior was a 2007, so I know the bikes well and my 07 was fast and smooth as silk. Not the case with this bike. I will have owned it a year on monday (It was a leftover 2010) but I have only put 980 miles on her due to a severe vibration (tank slapping) from the front end at 40-60mph with hands off the bars. I've never had a bike ocillate this bad. It's just plain uncomfortable to ride. So call it procrastination but I never got around to taking it in and just rode the other bike. Having worked so many years in car dealerships I would hate to be pegged as the guy who waits until the day before his warranty expires to come in and complain, and I explained to the service personnel that I understand it may just be a bad tire. We will see. The dealership seemed very nice about everything, called me by name when I walked in (bought the bike there) and are actually keeping the bike all week while I am out of town to check it out and inspect. I forgot to mention, bike has never been dropped to my knowledge, or wrecked, it just really does not feel right. The Service Advisor even drove it while I was there and felt the problem within a block of the store and said it should not be that way.

Good luck man, it always sucks when a bike isn't doing what it's supposed to. My wife had a case with her CanAm and it can drive you nuts to deal with dealerships, let alone BRP......

front tire...80% front tire

I'm sure you would have mentioned some other possible damage and bought new, you know the history

I hope it doesn't turn into one of those FM situations

(friggin magic with no answer forthcoming)

Here is a good place to get your Warranty Extended for 4 years for about $389

D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

Good Luck with your fix...

Thanks got the YES warranty for 4 years but I'm sure this would not be covered so I'm glad I got it written up under factory warranty, even if it ends up being a tire.

Thanks got the YES warranty for 4 years but I'm sure this would not be covered so I'm glad I got it written up under factory warranty, even if it ends up being a tire.
Um what?? Y.E.S. warranty IS factory warranty. It is the ONLY warranty recognized by every Yamaha dealer in the US.

Y.E.S. warranty is an extension of the original one year factory warranty, so if it fits one, it will fit the other. Now again......... WHY was it you waited until the last possible moment to bring the bike in? I am dumbfounded. I would have had that in right away.

That being said, that sucks that this brand new one isn't up to par. Hopefully it's something simple. OEM front Bridgestone tire has a poor reputation. Hopefully it's just that.

I'm having this same problem with my Gen 1. I put a PR3 on the front in June, and the front end's been shaking between 38 and 46 mph ever since. I took it up to the dealer, they rebalanced the tire (it was 10 grams off) but I can't feel any difference. It did not do this with the factory tire or the PR2 that I took off it in June. It all began when i put the PR3 on. This is no way a criticism of PR3's. Their quality is pretty solid. I would argue, however, that sometimes a tire can do some odd things. Sad to say, most motorcycle tire manufacturers won't do anything about this sort of problem. At least that is what my dealer tech told me. An expensive suggestion: change the tire. I'm just gonna live with mine. I"m guessing that it's not as bad as yours. The bars will jump back and forth perhaps 1/2 of an inch total as I accelerate through it's "oscillation" stage, but only if I loosen my grip on the bars to LET it do so.

Gary

darksider

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having this same problem with my Gen 1. I put a PR3 on the front in June, and the front end's been shaking between 38 and 46 mph ever since. I took it up to the dealer, they rebalanced the tire (it was 10 grams off) but I can't feel any difference. It did not do this with the factory tire or the PR2 that I took off it in June. It all began when i put the PR3 on. This is no way a criticism of PR3's. Their quality is pretty solid. I would argue, however, that sometimes a tire can do some odd things. Sad to say, most motorcycle tire manufacturers won't do anything about this sort of problem. At least that is what my dealer tech told me. An expensive suggestion: change the tire. I'm just gonna live with mine. I"m guessing that it's not as bad as yours. The bars will jump back and forth perhaps 1/2 of an inch total as I accelerate through it's "oscillation" stage, but only if I loosen my grip on the bars to LET it do so.

Gary

darksider

My hobby for years has been motorcycles, I change them a lot and usually don't go more than a couple of years with the same bike. So I guess I'm picky when I get one that doesn't ride correctly, and having had an 07 FJR and a couple of GL1800's I know what a quality bike should ride like. So even if I have to replace both tires I will. And, I know I waited too long to get this addressed and should have taken it back on day 2, but life gets in the way of fun, been working a lot, travel 100%, so there is never enough time to ride or fix the toys.

Smells like tire balancing at that speed range, unfortunately some shops neglect keeping the balancing machines maintained. They do need the periodic tune up.

Smells like tire balancing at that speed range, unfortunately some shops neglect keeping the balancing machines maintained...
Even when the machines work well.... they are only good to up to about 80 mph...found this out the hard way.

Smells like tire balancing at that speed range, unfortunately some shops neglect keeping the balancing machines maintained...
Even when the machines work well.... they are only good to up to about 80 mph...found this out the hard way.
Forget having any shop balance your tires. By a static balance and do it yourself...or by some dyna beads and throw them in the tire before mounting. I have beads in my rear (which was way out of balance = moocho weights!) and its never been smoother. Make sure you check the rim first, mark the heavy spot and align the tire. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a loose steering head.

Update, went to pick up the bike on saturday after leaving it all week. keep in mind this is my selling dealer. They did nothing, no repair, no state inspection, nothing. they looked at me and said well maybe you could leave it with us? I responded "why did I leave it all week?" So I leave it all day saturday and they call me at 5pm and say can you come pick it up we think we have it fixed. WTF? They claim they tighened the steering head bearing and checked the balance on the front tire............but no state inspection, they couldnt do that since the dealer just moved location. I'm thinking, where is the customer service? I rode it home, it's better, I would say vibration is 75% gone, the rest is probably tire related. But, learned a good lesson about dealerships, NOT going to this one anymore. Interstate Cycle, Mooresville, NC, stay far away. Wife wants another Harley to replace hers that we sold, I primarily ride my Ultra, FJR just sits, 1 yr old and only 900 miles, got an appointment at Ridenow powersports to possibly trade it in on a used Harley for my wife. Done with this one. Good bike, bad dealer experience.