Factory Yamaha foot shields??????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
I scored a new set of these factory foot shields. Anyone have a opinion about them :dribble: . Some may not like drilling the lower fairing, not a big deal. Do they really help keep your feet warm and dry?? Thanks Smitty :)

Smitty,

These are the ones I put on my '06. If I wasn't so lazy, I would probably take them off in the summer and put them back on in the winter because they do make it warmer around your legs. Definitely helps keep the road spooge off your feet in the wet.

DSCF1269.jpg

DSCF1266-2.jpg

I wonder why Yamaha doesn't see fit to provide the whole bike when they deliver the machine to us.

Why don't they include the hand and foot guards? If they did, their cost would certainly be nowhere near the extreme amount of money they charge for them as accessories - after all a whole mirror cost me less than C$80.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guy's, the :D $99.00 dollors :p I spent will be installed shortly.... Now were is my uni-bit... :lol: Smitty

Oh, hell yes, they make a difference!
See: FJRTech: Yamaha Foot Guard installation

I'm gonna have to disagree here with all due respect to W/C. I find them to make little functional difference in rain or cold, especially for the heinous price. In fact, I started to take them off my bike until I realized that they DO cover up some otherwise unsightly mechanical bits like water pump/hoses/oil filter. I left them on for purely cosmetic reasons, seeing as how I already paid for them AND drilled holes in my lowers for them. And who's stupid idea was it at the factory to put the identifying letters directly on the clear protective plastic strips, rather than the backing paper??? :angry: :angry: :angry: Even if you wanted to take them off for the summer and put the screws back in the holes, you'd still have little "A" "B" "C" "D" markings all over your lowers! Now the V-Strom handguards are worth every penny, since they're twice as functional and cost one fourth the price.

Just my oppinion and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

If I could get Quality ones like on the above pictures that would be great. However, the shields available for the earlier models look to be poor quality for the money. I would like to find out about any other options like the ones on the '06 above. Where did those come from. :good: Got a link?

If I could get Quality ones like on the above pictures that would be great. However, the shields available for the earlier models look to be poor quality for the money. I would like to find out about any other options like the ones on the '06 above. Where did those come from. :good: Got a link?
Here is the list of the links for '06-specific parts from Yamaha - the US site doesn't offer much. Then again, I've been waiting for 6 weeks for my tall windshield to arrive.

1. Heated grips (from the UK site)

2. Top case innerbags (Canadian site)

3. Side case bag liners (Canada) - USA

4. Tall Windshield (Canada)

5. Factory backrest for topcase (Canada) - USA

6. Factory frame sliders (Canada)

7. Factory top case (Canada) - USA - Mounting kit (USA)

8. Foot shield (Canada)

9. Hand guards (Canada)

10. FJR specific bike cover (USA)

I find them to make little functional difference in rain or cold, especially for the heinous price.
They make a vast difference to my size 14 riding boots. Not only do they keep my boots dry, but they keep my toes warm. When its really cold I can tuck my toes up next to the engine out of the wind and splashed road splooge.

I didn't use the plastic protectors. Instead, I used some foam weather strip (sticky side to the splash guard). In the summer, with the guards removed, the screws are less obvious and unsightly on the '05 then they were on the '04.

One more vote for the foot guards. They keeps my feets dry and toasty. Well, maybe not 100% dry and toasty but pretty dang near and a helluva lot better than without.

My one complaint is that they catch asphalt during spirited cornering. It's not particularly unsightly, since they're black and the abraded area is down low. The bad part is that the rearward extension of my right fairing lower is cracked and I figure it's from the foot guard (I noticed it when removing the foot guard this spring).

I'm not seeing it, or feeling the love... They look nice on an 06 but for $350 list? cmon.

I think that's $350 Canadian, am I wrong?
It's $325 Canadian, but it's still a brutal price....

As of today, $324.95 CAD converts to $293.91 USD :eek:

Still and all, as you've read on this thread, the vast majority of the foot guard owners know they do an excellent job once installed, so the decision you have to make is how much are warm, dry feet worth to you over the lifetime of the bike?

If you never ride when it is wet or cold, then they may not be as valuable to you as they would be for, say, the LDRiders that ride 12 months out of the year in every weather imaginable.