Farkling Parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know this - tank number 2 was 43.2 mpg - and that was with a little more right wrist.

G-Squared and I had about 150 miles of fun this morning. No more chicken strips on the battleax's. I LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE this motorcycle!!!!

5/24/15 UPDATE on Farkling!

1. Saddle bag torx screws loc-tighted.

2. Handlebars adjusted to rear position. I like it and do not think I need risers.

3. Put some self-adheive thin felt on the bottom of my tank bag to protect the tank. Magnets strength is down - this may not work.

4. Rear inner fender extender ordered

5. Rear tank protector thingie (keeps my big waist from scratching the tank) ordered

6 T-Rex sliders ordered

7. C-Bailey Sport (dark tint) windscreen ordered

8. New set of aux lights from Mondo Moto ordered

9. Waterproof switch for the aux lights ordered.

10. Fuzeblock FZ-1 ordered

11. YES warranty - will be purchased next week.

12. Budget - DONE for 1 month.

I am happy to see you spending money. It is no good until you spend it you know. If you run out you go back to work and get more. No problems.

I think when you get your custom seat built you may have to re-evaluate the need for risers. I did not think I needed them either.

All those things make the riding experience better and I have done most of that myself. I was reflecting as I rode your bone stock FJR yesterday morning that you could buy an FJR off the showroom floor and ride it coast to coast without mods. It is that good.

Good luck with your mods, I will be looking forward to seeing it evolve.

Just about break-in service time.

I've searched the bin-o-facts, and done a google search through the forum.

For 2014 owners - which oil filter are you using, and if it is not a Yamaha filter, how did you decide that oil filter was an OEM replacement? Using the major name brand filter sites (Purolater, Fram, Bosch, etc), I can't seem to look up my specific bike.

Also, which oil are you using? I'm not interested in synthetic - just plain ole Dino. Was planning to continue with the Rotella T 15W40, but I'm open to suggestions.

(hope this doesn't get thrown to the NEPRT)

Was planning to continue with the Rotella T 15W40, but I'm open to suggestions.
That is what I use .... Just tipped a gallon in the '05 this morning.

What came out looked almost as good as what went in (4500 miles). One of these days I'll have the used oil tested because I'm fairly sure it would go twice the mileage with zero problems. Still, at $13 per gallon ...

I am happy to see you spending money. It is no good until you spend it you know. If you run out you go back to work and get more. No problems.
I think when you get your custom seat built you may have to re-evaluate the need for risers. I did not think I needed them either.

All those things make the riding experience better and I have done most of that myself. I was reflecting as I rode your bone stock FJR yesterday morning that you could buy an FJR off the showroom floor and ride it coast to coast without mods. It is that good.

Good luck with your mods, I will be looking forward to seeing it evolve.
From the Gen III Bin 'o Facts:

Oil Filter Info:

O.E.M. Oil cartridge filter: Yamaha P/N 5GH-13440-20-00

Size: Believed to be 20mm X 1.4mm threads 2.3" O.D. Gasket, 2.5" length

Other recommended 2.5" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14612

Mobil-1 M1-108

Bosch 3300

Fram PH7317

Other recommended 3.25" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

(Note for bikes with Canyon Cages installed: The 3.25" filters will be a TIGHT fit but they will fit. You will NOT be able to use a "cap type" filter wrench. You will need to use "pliers type" tool.)

Purolator Pure One PL14610

Mobil-1 M1-110

Bosch 3323

I have personally used the OEM, Fram and Bosch units until I switched to my reusable stainless steel oil filter. As for oil, Yamalube, Honda for dino. I currently use Rotella T6 though

Allen - I used the Bosch 3323 for my Gen I. It would appear that the stock filter is a 2.5 inch, though.

I had a horrible experience with a cage engine and the wrong oil filter and I do NOT want to make the mistake again. OTOH, if there is no need for me to pay $15.00 for a Yamaha oil filter, then I'm good with that as well.

There have been fitment issues with the Bosch 3323 as of late. Concave filter thread is good. Convex is bad.

Allen - I used the Bosch 3323 for my Gen I. It would appear that the stock filter is a 2.5 inch, though.
I had a horrible experience with a cage engine and the wrong oil filter and I do NOT want to make the mistake again. OTOH, if there is no need for me to pay $15.00 for a Yamaha oil filter, then I'm good with that as well.
Personally, I've used the shorter Bosch 3300, but the longer one, without issue. It was over a year ago though

Fram: DG7317 (Double Guard) Silver with a black rubberized end for grip. The colors match my bike. Best reason to buy it for me.

Dave

I only use the Yamaha filter and the regular (?) full synthetic Motul. Used their 300V race line in previous bike but that's probably a little overkill. Expensive also, even at the prices I can get it for.

T-Rex Frame Sliders installed - check

600 mile whale jizz replacement - check

600 mile oil change - check

Shitty rain forecast - check

Steam ejecting from Pants' ears 'cause he can't go too far from home tomorrow - check.

And now for some new questions for Gen III owners:

1. On the maintenance reset-able fields, besides the oil change mileage, what do you use (track) for the other two "free" fields?

2. If you use Rok straps (or similar) to strap down a camping bag (or similar), where do you mount your rear strap loops?

3. On my gen 1, ocassionally, I put a coat of wax (Nu Finish) on my rims. Seemed to be easier to keep clean and remove road tar, etc. Anybody do this with the black rims and if so, what do you use?

4. Does anybody know if the headlight bulb from a gen I fits the Gen III?

Thanks.

GPS charger you can accomplish for way less than $55. Hide a 12V outlet under the seat, run a car charger with a right angle mini-B cable. Hidden, easy, and cheap.
Dude, I don't know how to tell you this, but that solution is about as ghetto as you can get. There's no way you'd catch m

HEY! Don't look under my seat!

Update - 6/14/15

T-rex frame sliders installed.

Cee-Bailey tinted sport w/s received, to be installed soon.

Tank protector decal thingie installed

Yesterday, I built a custom wiring harness for my Mondo fork mounted lights. Came out pretty good.

Next step is to mount the fuzeblock and ampli-rider under the seat, and complete all of the farkle wiring.

My big challenge regarding this is securing the wiring at the "user end". I'm trying to avoid using anything on the handle bars becasue they move. Anytime wires have to move, they run the risk of being strained. OTOH, there's not much to tie to elsewhere and having switches/controls on the handlebars is very user friendly.

My little final drive episode tapped out the bike budget for a month or two, so the top box farkles will have to wait. No worries - the next tour won't be until September and I will not need a top box before then.

<<snippage>
3. On my gen 1, ocassionally, I put a coat of wax (Nu Finish) on my rims. Seemed to be easier to keep clean and remove road tar, etc. Anybody do this with the black rims and if so, what do you use?
Haven't used wax, but I do hit the rims and mufflers with Honda Spray Polish once in a while. Helps with tar removal and makes dust removal a snap.

--G

Got some work done on my accessories this afternoon. Things are coming along nicely.

The Powerlet GPS wire doesn't work. I've verified 12V at the white connector, which is just before the voltage converter (transformer). I think the wire is OK, but I don't know how to check the pin out on a MIni-usb connector with a DMM. Take a look at this:

gps%20wire%20connectors_zpsv4ygeecp.jpg

I think this is my problem - if I cut the orange rubber back on the GPS, it should make connection with the female connector in the GPS.

Otherwise, the wiring job is looking sharp - I've got some tidying up to do, but it looks like I'm getting pretty close.

IMG_1032_zpsrhu3pxoh.jpg

Before you cut up the connector, you could try a different device that charges with Mini B connector. Just in case that isn't you issue.

Well everything is done except the GPS wire. I sliced the orange connector and it didn't help. Guess I'm going to try my hand at soldering the wires from my Tom Tom GPS to the powerlet wire. Kind of pisses me off that I bought a $50 custom wire and I have to butcher it up to get it to work.

Otherwise, the mondo moto lights are very bright. I think all of my wiring came out very well and should last a long time. The Cee Bailey tinted screen looks awesome and works amazingly well. The amplirider and audio cable routing on this bike must be better, and/or the noise filtering on the GenIII is better than the Gen I. I can't hear any engine noise through my ear buds.

I was able to pack all of my "stuff" under the seat, but the arrangement is far different than it was on my gen I.

Now just waiting on my new pumpkin, and any kind of relief from this unbearable heat...
upset.gif

I'm out of budget for the month, but next on the agenda is a GIVE SR357 rack. I'll see if I can get my mono-lock box to work with it. Failing that, I'll order a mono-key box the month after next.

Last edited by a moderator: