Fat Hands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr turbine

Reaction score
...do you get air in these freakin' tires?

I scrape my hands on the discs front AND rear (although the

rear is the worse of the two).

I tried some tire valve stem extensions, but they were too long

and I thought that the rear one might clank on one of the discs.

I have the OEM Metzlers, and am running 39f/41r.

I hope that's good enough (I can bleed air out, but it sure

is a pain (literally) but not nearly as hard as putting air in).

ANY ideas GREATLY appreciated.

TIA...

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution: Diet. Get rid of those fat hands. :p

Granted, it can be a PITA to check air pressure, but I find the rear MUCH easier to access than the front, so I am not sure what is going on there with your technique.

There are only two things I can think of that will help:

90 degree valve stems:

lg877791300.jpg

Available here: SportBikeEffects

And then also this fancy air gauge:

Ez-Air_Lg2.jpg

The EZ-Air gauge available here: Clicky, clicky

With this gauge, you attach it to the valve stem, and add air through the gauge, so you only have to attach it once.

I use a 90 degree air chuck on my compressor. When I had a long stick type air chuck I had to flex the valve stem to get air in and that didn't seem like a good idea.

I can get a pencil type gauge on but it is awkward and gets brake dust on my hands every time. Now I use a Accu Gauge tire pressure gauge similar to the EZ Air except it doesn't have the input capability. Mine has a 90 degree brass end so it fits onto the valve stem easier. It has a button to let air out so I usually put in a little too much and then let a little out with the gauge. I got the gauge a Advanced for about $12.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use a digital tire gauge with a 45 degree end. I was just complaining to myself about the location of the stems an hour ago! By the way, my MeZ4's call for 42 lbs. in the front and rear! Aren't I supposed to go by the label?

There are only two things I can think of that will help:
90 degree valve stems: 

lg877791300.jpg

Available here:  SportBikeEffects

And then also this fancy air gauge:

Ez-Air_Lg2.jpg

The EZ-Air gauge available here:  Clicky, clicky

With this gauge, you attach it to the valve stem, and add air through the gauge, so you only have to attach it once.
+1 on the 90 degree valve stems.

There's a set just waiting for the Michelins to need replacing in the garage.

Dang snow........

Shane

Thanks, everyone, for your replies!

I'll be getting an EZ-Air gauge now and will order

a pair of the 90 degree valve stems before I replace

my tires.

Thanks again for the help...

Ride safe!

Jim

You know what they say...the bigger the hands...the bigger the .... ;) Sorry for all you guys that don't have problem putting air in... :lol:

I heard that big hands just make your junk look small. Not my isssue, but maybe for some.

Ditto the ez gauge. I bought one and its the greatest. I put the hose through the caliper slot to get a straight shot at the stem. I haven't changed tires yet. Maybe some new stems for me also at that time.Before that, checking pressure was a problem, but the 90 degree chuck on my air hose made adding air easy.

I know what you mean, scuffs the shit out of your knuckles, right? I went with the 90 Degree valves, great improvement, but the next tire changes, gets a set of these. https://www.smartire.com/products/motorcycles/index.html
Oh yeah... I like this! Do you have any idea of the price? None was given.

I just bought a set of the 90d valves not too long ago... waiting for next tire swap to mount 'em. Gone will be the days of the 15 minute air/fill process.

Oh yeah... I like this! Do you have any idea of the price? None was given.
I bought the smarTire set a couple of months ago from Vulcan Tire. Their price was $189 at the time, and they provided great service. For whatever reason, the package arrived with everything but the user manual. I emailed the vendor and they FedEx'd the manual out to me overnight! :eek:k:

Another vote for the EZ Air gauge.

I heard about it from SkooterG last year. Great idea.