Favorite '80s bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1981 Yamaha XJ750R Seca, bought brand new. Well, all 632 miles of it, until I crashed and totaled it. :eek:
Not a sip of booze on a bike since....
Mine was black with a red stripe. Pretty high tech. in it's day. Was my first real street bike just out of high school, rode from Illinois to Toronto, Canada my senior summer. Added a sweet fairing. Not too long ago I rode a Maxim 650, similar bike. In hindsight, they're no match for what we have today.

The great, great grandfather of our bikes: 1980 Yamaha XS "Eleven" G. I picked mine up in the crate from the Yamaha warehouse in Dallas TX, trailered it back to Newton KS to the Honda-Yamaha shop where I worked, un-crated it and assembled it myself. I loved that bike more than my dumb slut-of-a girlfriend who dumped me a week after I left for Air Force basic training. :p
1980YamahaXS100G.jpg
Glad to see you're not in the least bit bitter.

My first and only new bike, I purchased in high school. A 1980 DT 125. Sold it in '82 to buy a '81 Seca 750. For those with rose colored glasses, they were great in their day, but lousy compared to what we have now. I'd love to try the new fuel injected street legal WR250, but I don't think it would hold up off road the way KTM 200 does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry no bikes in the 80 tees i really liked . So i have to say my 1975 kawasaki z1900 also the 78 kz 1000

Sorry no bikes in the 80 tees i really liked . So i have to say my 1975 kawasaki z1900 also the 78 kz 1000
Interesting....

The '80s bikes (IMO) were charecterized by good strong engines in frames that didn't handle well. Not the scary, spindley frames of the '70s -- but, just not the kind of chassis that helps/benefits the rider (like came later and exist today).

'80s bikes, generally & to me, exemplify how easy it is to get plenty of horsepower and how elusive good handling can be.

(Late'80s sport-bikes, Yamaha Delta-box -- for example, excluded....)

(Sigh) Interesting topic.I have two of them.1983 R 100 series BMW and the 1989 K75.My favorite 70's bike is still in my garage 1976 Suzuki GT500

My favorite bike of the 80's was my 1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750. It had a Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust, Lockhart lower cowling kit, custom corbin seat, Lockhart tinted windshield, Grab-on grips, custom adjustable handlebars, black leather tank and fairing protectors, and Dunlop tires. That was a great bike. Never let me down and handled like a dream. At that time I couldnt imagine having anything better. I finally had to sell it because I needed a truck and needed the money. I often wonder what ever happened to that bike. I would buy it back now just for the memories. Seemed like I worked so hard just to get it.

I always liked the 900 Ninja and the Concourse too.

I found this picture of my 1980 Honda CX500. Liquid cooled, V-twin with shaft drive and really nice auto cancelling turn signal. Had it when I was 16 and survived. Loved that bike!

CX500.jpg

1984 Kawasaki 900 Ninja was the business.Started the whole Supersport bike craze.

Awesome bike, I had mine from 84 - 90.
Gunny+

I had the first '84 sold in the U.S. Frame #000003. It's THE bike that defined what we ride today. Although I was quite partial to my '80 Z1R Turbo, but that horizontal hinge in frame made it a handful in the twisties.

I bought one of these new in 81, this machine got me into allot of trouble.....Ahh the memories!

It also had self cancelling turn signals.

This picture is a scan of my original sales brochure. Still looks cool.

xj5501.jpg

In 1980 I purchased a KZ1000 LTD, (for the OTD outrageous price of $3000 :) ). It was totaled a year later buy a friend I had let take her out for a spin. My Buddy almost died in the crash and it made me do some serious thinking about riding. About 6 months later I purchased a 1976 Kz900, and started to beef it up (1100 big bore kit & cams). I still own that bike today. She is a bit tired and needs some attention. I am retiring soon and one of my projects is going to be to strip her down to the frame and make her new again.

The great, great grandfather of our bikes: 1980 Yamaha XS "Eleven" G. I picked mine up in the crate from the Yamaha warehouse in Dallas TX, trailered it back to Newton KS to the Honda-Yamaha shop where I worked, un-crated it and assembled it myself. I loved that bike more than my dumb slut-of-a girlfriend who dumped me a week after I left for Air Force basic training. :p
1980YamahaXS100G.jpg
Glad to see you're not in the least bit bitter.
I have one today exactly like, including color but not in the above mint condition, the above. It has 13k original miles. Also have a Ruby Red 80 XS1100G all dressed out with Vetter Windjammer and bags and a vintage Russell saddle(circa 80s).

My 89 ZX-10 lost in the divorce. I really liked that bike.

scan0002.jpg

And the 80 CB750F that got me by for a couple a years after that.

scan0001.jpg