Feedback on use of Ski Mittens

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkrK12

Reaction score
Has anyone made any significant use of mittens for riding? I know they've been mentioned a few times on the Site. But, there doesn't seem to be any pro/con discussion. From my skiing days, I remember that mittens were always warmer than similar quality gloves. The only thing that kept us from using them extensively at the ski school was that they cut heavily into the manliness factor.

It does seem likely that there may be some safety issues relating to grip and finger mobility. However, I know they are pretty commonly used in snowmobiling.

Thanks in advancve for any thoughts you might have.

Dan

The only knock I can think of is lack of proper motorcycle-type protection, at least if you just get snowmobile mitts. If there are some out there that have a good tough palm and knuckle protection, etc., I'm interested. I remember a long time ago I had a pair that had leather palms, good drawstring-type gauntlets, and a kind of Vulcan peace sign finger arrangement: two double finger sections. Like mittens, you could pull your fingers back and make a fist inside of them, which warms up those chilly fingers like nothing else. They were mostly nylon and I don't remember what protection they offered, if any. I do recall the nylon didn't do well when I hung them over a fireplace screen to dry that last time, though.

Somebody comes up with a protective, warm, waterproof mitten that I can put on over my jacket sleeves, I'd be all over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There seem to be all leather snowmobile gloves around now. I've even seen some with protection on the back (naturally, I can't find the website now). I'm more concerned with loss of dexterity than anything else. Maybe I'll go out and look in some snowmobiling stores after this weekend, when the shopping loonies go away.

Blocking cold air is the key, but protection of a motorcycle glove should be a priority too. So, why not take your fave pair of gloves and put these over top. Work great, thin enough, can be a tad bulky if you get them too big. The Aerostitch type (textured) tend to be slippy in the wet, so I don't recommend those.

https://www.rain-off.com/

I put ski mittens on top of my summer riding gloves. Protection and warmth. Nice.

However, because I am conditioned to Texas riding, I do this whenever the temperature is below 50. ;)

Blocking cold air is the key, but protection of a motorcycle glove should be a priority too.
OK, I'll bite. I've never seen any motorcycle winter gloves that had any crash protection, other than maybe a thin leather cover, and none of the ones I own have even that. On the other hand (ha!) they're all bulky as hell, and seriously reduce my ability with the controls, so I don't use them.

I've found the v-strom wind blocking guards do more to keep my hands warm than anything except electric gloves. The 60mph wind goes through EVERYTHING, and I've tried a ton of so-called windproof stuff from Travel Country and other places.

Now, I'm in Florida, and I haven't done any riding colder than 38F, so I just may be full of it...

Back in the 70's I bought a pair of expedition mittens from an outdoor supply shop that were water and wind proof. Not so much crash proof. They were the first gore-tex I had ever had.

I wore them for several years until the insulation rearranged itself making them less effective.

I later had a set of Hippo Hands which were the absolute best for winter warmth.

The only time I had a highway speed crash in cold weather I was wearing a pair of cheap Chinese winter full gauntlet gloves.

They had no armor but thanks to the thickness of the insulation on the backs, I only got minor knuckle scrapes.

It does seem likely that there may be some safety issues relating to grip and finger mobility. However, I know they are pretty commonly used in snowmobiling.
Dexterity is much more important on a motorcycle.

How many pairs of gloves do you have? In my opinion, you need three. You need a pair for warm/hot weather, a regular pair and pair for riding in the rain.

As the temperatures get colder, you should have (in order):

• V-Strom hand guards

• heated grips

• something like the Hippo Hands to over the top of your hand guards and heated grips.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll let you know if I find something really warm, with protection.

Well, I've found something I think will work.

Reusch Noram Mitten - approx $105 at your local ski shop

These are ski racing mittens, meant for crashing gates and having good protection on the back. What they are missing is a wrist cinch strap. But, I don't have a significant one of those on my light summer gloves, anyway. They have been placed on the Christmas List and I'll let you know after I've had a chance to test them out.

Dan

Blocking cold air is the key, but protection of a motorcycle glove should be a priority too.
OK, I'll bite. I've never seen any motorcycle winter gloves that had any crash protection, other than maybe a thin leather cover, and none of the ones I own have even that. On the other hand (ha!) they're all bulky as hell, and seriously reduce my ability with the controls, so I don't use them.

I've found the v-strom wind blocking guards do more to keep my hands warm than anything except electric gloves. The 60mph wind goes through EVERYTHING, and I've tried a ton of so-called windproof stuff from Travel Country and other places.

Now, I'm in Florida, and I haven't done any riding colder than 38F, so I just may be full of it...
+1 V-strom guards and heated grips are the way to go...if not electric gloves. 25 degree morning the other day on ride into work (20 miles)...hands were toasty in mid-weight gloves and heaters on "hi"; the guards complement the heaters nicely. :D

I've ridden for extended periods of time in rain with the Aerostich rain covers that give you the Vulcan hand grip and if you can find mittens that mimic that grip, you'll probably have enough dexterity for most things. It really doesn't take long to compensate although you do give up finer control with some things.

Has anyone made any significant use of mittens for riding? I know they've been mentioned a few times on the Site. But, there doesn't seem to be any pro/con discussion. From my skiing days, I remember that mittens were always warmer than similar quality gloves. The only thing that kept us from using them extensively at the ski school was that they cut heavily into the manliness factor.

Thanks in advancve for any thoughts you might have.

Dan
Try googling these...

Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier Lobster Glove

I have heated grips, and they are nice for cooler temps. They can be used with regular MC summer weight gloves, or thicker more insulated winter gloves at lower temps. But when it gets below about 40 degrees, if you intend on doing a nice long ride, the heated grips leave me cold (ha!). That's why I wired up a jack to my grip heat-troller so I can plug in a pair of heated gloves. The difference in comfort between heated grips and heated gloves is quite radical. Grips leave your finger tips, thumbs and the backs of your hands cold. Gloves heat your entire hand.

I use the DualStar heated grip elements under my grips. I also have the V-Strom hand guards. I do switch to a heavier leather glove when the temp gets below 40 deg F. I have a couple friends that use these in the winter and swear by them.

I may get some and see if I can easily attach them to my V strom guards for the winter

Tusk hand guards

PM Sockmonkey and FJR_pig. They had been selling a LEO quality hand warmer set up a couple of years ago and the folks that bought them apparently really liked them. Sockmonkey is probably your best bet.

+1 I have a set of Water Shed covers from Sockmonkey, I have heated grips and can wear lighter gloves. Water Shed makes products for LEO motor officer. you can also check out Hippo Hands https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/hippo-hands/

I use the DualStar heated grip elements under my grips. I also have the V-Strom hand guards. I do switch to a heavier leather glove when the temp gets below 40 deg F. I have a couple friends that use these in the winter and swear by them.

I may get some and see if I can easily attach them to my V strom guards for the winter

Tusk hand guards
I had a set like these that work very well but at highway speed they press against the brake lever and turn on the brake light. I'll have added a set of vstrom guards this year which should eliminate the light problem.

Was able to get out for a few hours today and check out the Reusch mittens. Temperatures from low 40s to mid 50s and my hands were warm for the entire time - didn't even feel cool at 42f. The no fingers thing takes a little getting used to, but the warmth is worth it.