Fender Ectomy on an '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
hey Bramfrank ~ those pics are pretty small, can't really see what you did. How bout reposting those a lot larger, please.

hey Bramfrank ~ those pics are pretty small, can't really see what you did. How bout reposting those a lot larger, please.
Click on them. You'll be taken to the webshots folder where you can see the shots in all of their full 3 megapixel glory.

I couldn't find a decent fender eliminator because of the way they made the thing - it serves as the floor of the underseat storage area. The fender has to be cut if you want to get rid of the really ugly fender extension that makes the bike look strange when the bags are off.
So I took out the trusty dremel tool and traced the outline of the fender details and away went the bottom reflector. Bike rear end looks MUCH better now. I saved the relector, just in case . . .

10 minutes work, most of which involved removing and reinstalling the plate bracket. A worthwhile effort. Seems to cost about $100 to reverse if it needs to be.

:rolleyes: I love it - I did the same thing with a minor exception - I cut the platic at the bottom of the license plate and then on the backside trimed the support ribs to be less noticable when looking at it from the side view - YOU CAN SEE MY FATTY. You should have seen the look on my wifes face when she opened the garage door and I'm holding an air cutoff tool in one hand and the leftover fender is on the floor. <_<

mf1.jpg
I love the plate. I wonder if I could get that one by the local DMV. Prolly.

I know a guy who managed FYYFF. I was impressed.

I find this whole thread very amusing since more than half the folks on this board don't even drive a mile befor putting on the Fenda-extenda :D

I think the chpped fender looks cool- but I am having much more fun riding my FJR on my free time rather than cutting stuff off or putting stuff on :p

<also, I regrettably spent all of my money buying the bike so expensive Farkles are not in my future :(

Well, the bike has about 1000 miles on her that were ridden during the 3 decent riding days we've had since I got her. We've had record rainfalls and it's been COLD. I also have the KZ550 to ride too - only put about 200 miles on her in the past 3 weeks.

Okay Warchild, now I gotta ask...did you make that lower rear fender mount or where and what do I order to find that piece? Thanks.

:angry: <--- me, getting tired of cleaning road grime off the trunk all the time.

Paul in Duluth

I was thinking of removing the rear fender all together and trying to install a R-1 or R6 license plate bracket. I want to add the FSD rear tire hugger and I think it looks much better without the fender. Much less fender would probably work also. There is talk of starting a group buy on the hugger on FJROwners.com. Here is the link the the website if you haven't seen it yet. I think it tiddys up the rear nicely.

https://www.freestreetdesign.com/catalog/pr...9a43527c3662253

Mel

Okay Warchild, now I gotta ask...did you make that lower rear fender mount or where and what do I order to find that piece? Thanks.
:angry: <--- me, getting tired of cleaning road grime off the trunk all the time.
This fender came off a 1997 ST1100; it was replaced with a 3.6 gallon auxilary fuel cell:

big_tank.jpg

Sold off the ST1100 in 2001, and this old fender was lying around my old parts bin. It makes an incredible difference in keep road splooge off the rear of the bike, the Givi bag, etc.

You know what would be great?....if the tail feather was easily detatchable and reattachable. Then when you are going on a trip with the bags on you won't get water and dirt sprayed up your back. But for the 90% of other driving in the sunshine the bike will have that cool "seat over air" look.
The bottom reflector (below the tag) was a bolt-on item on the '03. I removed mine and keep it in a box of OEM parts.

My future SiL just *had* to chop the tail fender of his Daytona 600. He couldn't stand it even a week. Did it with a hacksaw and it looks like a drunken sailor cut the line the way it wanders all over the place and has all the fuzzy bits hanging off it. For some reason it made him happy. >shrug<