Few Gen III observations, comments, and questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Now that I've got a couple thousand miles under my belt with the Gen III, I have a few things to share and ask:

1. The ABS is wonderful. I will NEVER have a motorcycle without ABS again.

2. The linked brakes are a huge improvement over the Gen I bike. However, I wish the front brake was linked the the rear brake, and not just the other way around. If I could get just a touch of rear brake when I'm hard on the front brake, then with the exception of emergency situations, I'd never have to move my right foot. Lazy I know, but admitting it is the first step. BTW - it is my understanding that the ST1300 ABS is linked both ways.

3. The "AVG FUEL MILEAGE" display thingie is dead nuts correct. I've checked it out on 4 or 5 tanks of gas and it is within 0.1 mpg.

4. Also, the "RANGE" indicator is extremely accurate. When the "LO" display comes on, you are literally down to fumes. Yesterday, I was running the numbers in my head trying to get home without stopping for gas. There was a thunderstorm coming in and I was trying to avoid it. 1 mile from my house, the range went to "LO". Taking the "AVG FUEL MILEAGE" as accurate, I'm running the numbers and thinking I've got at least a quart left (10 miles worth). As I round the last curve before home, it farted once. Didn't do it again, so I packed a small gas can on the rack and rode to the gas station today. Made it the 4 miles with no other problems. Took 6.4 gallons. My Gen I would suck the full 6.6 gallons out of it (I ran out of gas twice in it).

5. The speedo error on the Gen III is identical to the Gen I. 80 mph inicated is 77 mph actual.

6. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy cruise control. I used the throttlemeister a lot on my Gen I, but the cruise is so much more effective - especially when you are in a popo rich environment.

7. The BT023s are better than I expected. At first, they were kind of slick, but now that I've rubbed off the chicken strips, at least in the dry, they are pretty good. I see that they are cheaper than the Michelin PR2 tire - depending on the mileage I get out of them, this may be something to think about.

8. Can anybody tell me if running in "touring mode" saves gas if you are cruising at a steady speed, and if so, how much? I get the saving fuel in the stop/go part.

9. IF there is a better windscreen for this bike than the Cee Bailey Sport, I'd like to see it. Perfect combination for me in all conditions.

10. There is so much less vibration on my pegs and hands on the GEN III. The bike is really much smoother.

11. The fit and finish on this bike is better. The paint is better. And I like the black rims - they don't show the dirt as much.

12. Perhaps the biggest single improvement from the Gen I is the heat management. This time of year, my legs would ROAST. So would the "jewels". Not so with the new bike.

That's all I got for now - what do other Gen III owners (who were formally Gen I owners) think?

Huh?

I can go at least another 30 miles when low fuel display comes on and starts counting up miles.. Do it all the time. A little over a gallon in reserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reference #8... There's no difference while cruising at a steady speed, just the quickness of acceleration.

Reference #10...I also noticed the increase in relative smoothness in the 2015 ES that I test rode during the Yamaha event in comparison to my 2008. That is why I assumed that my TBS was off, but it turned out to be spot on. Definitely an improvement in the Gen III bikes.

re #2: I'm the exact opposite. I use the rear brake for normal slowing and engage the front when I need a little more. I can tell you from experience, my emergency reaction is steady hard on both. Sub ref #1: ABS has kicked in a few times under hard braking. I never realized there was quite so much sand in the desert!

re #3: avg mileage on mine is showing just around 48 over 25,000 miles. Actual according to my android app (Haven't missed a fill yet!) is closer to 45.

re #4: Lo comes on after I've burned about 4.5 gallons. With a 6.6g tank, I know I've got about 80 miles in reserve if I need it. I usually fill up within 20 and it's regularly a 5g fill +/- about .2.

re #8: +1 to LKLD. You're only saving fuel on the 'boogity! boogity! boogity!' at throttle positions below about 50%. You also save on the head snapping get up and go, which I view as a mixed blessing. I personally like romping on it to get up to speed and Sport mode does it much better without having to twist my partially fused wrist very far.

re #11: The black is great until you smack a gator that jumps out and scratches it. I've got a nice section of the outer edge that looks like someone went a little nuts with the silver glitter paint. OK, it's not that bad, but I know it's there and can't help seeing it every time I approach from the starboard bow.

As always, YMMV

Ref #12 ... The heat is the biggest problem I had on the 48/10. That ride was the first time I have really ridden the bike in the full heat of summer, and the heat left real, actual burns on my shins. This is an issue I have to fix.

Very pleased to hear they finally fixed something that is a real problem.

With respect to "Average MPG" meters on the Gen II (and I assume Gen III), they cannot possibly be measuring from the last time the meter was reset. I believe that it will do it from reset up to some particular mileage (maybe a couple hundred?) and from then onward, report a calculated value based upon the most recent (couple hundred?) miles. I can't imagine that the meter can store thousands and thousands of miles worth of data.

I have never seen any documentation on this but my (GenII) observations support this.

Thank you for reading my post and your replies. Few clarifications:

Ref. #3 - It was my understanding that the AVG FUEL MILEAGE is reset when the trip meter is reset. This has to be so because my AFM has varied greatly depending on how I ride. I can support that by stating that I've checked the AFM on 4-5 tanks (of varied amounts ranging from 2 gallons to almost 6) and each time it was dead nuts on. I'm very impressed with that.

Ref. #4 - I was not referring to when the trip odometer indicates the bike is on "reserve". I've always had trouble with that term - there is no reserve tank on a motorcycle. Regardless - it's well documented (by Yamaha even) that reserve kicks on after 5 gallons have been used (1.6 remaining)

I was referring to the "RANGE" indicator on the LCD display. At least from my 1 experience of almost running out of gas, it would appear that the RANGE indicator is pretty darn accurate as well. It's just that, for whatever reason, my GEN III bike will only suck about 6.4 gallons, whereas my gen I would pull every single drop (6.6 gallons).

FWIW - on the Gen I, I use 60 miles on reserve as a guide. With 1.6 gallons to burn, at a fuel mileage of not lower than 40 mph, 60 miles is a good guide. With the GEN III, I'll just go to range and use that.

Ref. #12 - Twigg, the heat management is VERY impressive. If you go to the FJR tech website, I believe the have a "how to" on how to make an under tank insulation blanket for the Gen I. I hear that helps a great deal.

Ref #3, one must reset the Avg Fuel Mileage manually, the same way you reset your trip meters. The AFM does not reset automatically when you reset the trip.

Ref #3, one must reset the Avg Fuel Mileage manually, the same way you reset your trip meters. The AFM does not reset automatically when you reset the trip.
Beat me to it.

I reset mine manually after each fill.

5. The speedo error on the Gen III is identical to the Gen I. 80 mph inicated is 77 mph actual.
Since your speedometer is off by +3.9%, your mileage is going to be off also by the same amount, i.e. you actually get 3.9% less than indicated, so you'll run out of gas 3.9% sooner.
rolleyes.gif

Ref #2

•Unified braking system with computer controlled ABS. When the front brake is applied it activates 6 of the 8 front caliper pistons (all four LHS front pistons are activated, while only the "upper" two pistons on the RHS front caliper are activated). When applying the rear brake, both rear pistons activate and 2 front pistons activate (both rear caliper pistons are activated plus the two lower pistons on the front RHS)

I've just passed 2k miles on my 2014, which I bought "new" on 12 June. I've got to agree with the OP about the linking of the brakes. Now, I'm getting accustomed to using mainly the pedal in routine braking. All these years of ignoring the pedal, now I'm having to change my habit. No problem. The brakes on this bike are outstanding.

I feel a little ABS action in the front lever just as the bike is inching to a normal stop. It happens all the time, so I'm pretty certain it is some normal function. This is my first ABS motorcycle. Is this normal?

I've just passed 2k miles on my 2014, which I bought "new" on 12 June. I've got to agree with the OP about the linking of the brakes. Now, I'm getting accustomed to using mainly the pedal in routine braking. All these years of ignoring the pedal, now I'm having to change my habit. No problem. The brakes on this bike are outstanding.
I feel a little ABS action in the front lever just as the bike is inching to a normal stop. It happens all the time, so I'm pretty certain it is some normal function. This is my first ABS motorcycle. Is this normal?
I don't think that has anything to do with the ABS. It has been reported before and I experience it regularly. I think its likely just the edges of the "air holes" in the rotor passing under the brake pads. I use the (rear) pedal a bit but mostly for control in corners. Braking is far more effective with the front; especially if you are trying to bleed off a lot of speed quickly.

Wilfman - this is not how the FJR braking system works. When the rear pedal is pressed hard enough, you get a little front braking as well. But to my disappointment, the visa versa is NOT true. I confirmed this with the owner's manual, and with my salesman at the dealer who confirmed this from Yamaha.

One additional question:

13. When the cruise control is set, and I lean the bike over a decent amount, it might be my imagination, but I could have sworn that the bike speed lowered. The cruise did not de-activate. Am I bonkers?

Wilfman - this is not how the FJR braking system works. When the rear pedal is pressed hard enough, you get a little front braking as well. But to my disappointment, the visa versa is NOT true. I confirmed this with the owner's manual, and with my salesman at the dealer who confirmed this from Yamaha.
One additional question:

13. When the cruise control is set, and I lean the bike over a decent amount, it might be my imagination, but I could have sworn that the bike speed lowered. The cruise did not de-activate. Am I bonkers?
Odd considering I copied the above from a Yamaha Source in regards to Gen3 FJRs...