FFJ Owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
like myself, this is my first sport-touring bike as I've always riden cruisers and aren't acustomed to the some of the specific FJR issues/oddities/funtions/and farkles.
Hit the rev limiter in a couple of gears, after that all will become clear! :yahoo:

Actually, I think it's sort of nice having a bunch of dickheads around. It tends to keep all the whiny assholes away. Sort of like bug spray. It don't smell the best, but it's better than getting the blood sucked out of you a drop at a time!!!
+GUNNY !

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely can get rough in here. The folks around here that stay around have thick skin, and more importantly don't take internet forums too seriously. FJR owners is an easier going crowd in my experience.
That’s because there's only 3 of them left and they're too busy commiserating betwixt themselves about why. With the ability to link to tech tips on (some) other forums, that one's crippled its usefulness for most folks.

The reality is that a lot of the sarcasm and repartee starts between people who know each other pretty well. the rest is typically in response to someone who balls up "for the other guy" or when, after a VERY common question is asked without bothering to check, the asker them balls up when the inevitable responses of "we spent 5 pages of detailed tech discussing that a ways back (and them recommending they search for the good stuff instead of expecting to live with the quick answer that everyone gives after trying 50 times before to be helpful).

Someone once compared this (and some other venues) like a local pub/bar when the locals know all the jokes and rib each other mercilessly. Those being ribbed know it’s in good fun. Someone just walking in for the first time might mistake it as “nasty”. If they jump to the defense of one of the locals, the whole bar would turn and look at them like they had a 3rd eye in the middle of their forehead. Likewise, if they jumped in and started pontificating on how things ought to be changed to meet their sensibilities, the popcorn (and other foodstuffs) would start flying along with the catcalls.

So lighten up, Frances. Step back and watch how things play out. Learn that everything is taken with a healthy dose of salt and, above all, find ways to find the joke in each jab.

I agree that sometimes it can seem a little rough especially to the new or first time visitor. The longer I hang around the more I noticed that many of us are perhaps a bit older than many motorcycle riders, and tend to put up with less BS than many others-perhaps us independent types are drawn to the FJR. I have also noticed that Forum members tend to be technically oriented. Other characteristics generally include supporting worthy causes (witness helping with the purchase of an FJR for one member a few years back, helping another member get to WFO this year, offers of help should someone need it by locals in the WFO area this year, and I am sure there are others that I am unaware of), one another, and generally honestly trying to help one another. I was truly impressed and very pleased with the support I received from forum members after a crash I had in October. I had well wishes from all over the USA and a few from other parts of the world as well. I think at the time I had actually met only four (4) forum members. I have noticed that as a group many of us tend to get grumpy when we can't ride due to snow & ice or whatever for a while. Suggest your friend check in from time to time. He may change his mind about us. I for one am very proud to be on this forum and be a part of this group. Much of the time the dog piles & roughness are no more than rough teasing among a bunch of good guys & gals. Ride safe.

Yesterday a buddy of mine who was looking to buy a new bike said to me, your FJR is a great bike but when I look at the FJR Forum they seem to be a bunch of dicks. He went on to say that it boils down to they are totally rude and mean spirited and the admins are like the lead sharks. Since I don't spend a lot of time on this forum because I just use it to ask questions about my bike, I thought he was pretty harsh. Now this guy is a pretty laid back, so this surprised me. When I go into some of the recent topics and look at the replies. He was right.
Steer your buddy to some sort of a BMW site where the professional victims console each other about the $20K+ POS they just bought. (yes, I'm working my way to be a lead shark) :assassin:

Yesterday a buddy of mine who was looking to buy a new bike said to me, your FJR is a great bike but when I look at the FJR Forum they seem to be a bunch of dicks. He went on to say that it boils down to they are totally rude and mean spirited and the admins are like the lead sharks. Since I don't spend a lot of time on this forum because I just use it to ask questions about my bike, I thought he was pretty harsh. Now this guy is a pretty laid back, so this surprised me. When I go into some of the recent topics and look at the replies. He was right.
Steer your buddy to some sort of a BMW site where the professional victims console each other about the $20K+ POS they just bought. (yes, I'm working my way to be a lead shark) :assassin:
Or try hanging out on the LDRider mailing list. You'd better have alligator-thick skin. At least in a forum you have the ability to search; on a mailing list you'd have to lurk for a year or more to wait for the recurring threads about best tires, best LD bike, synthetic vs fossil, V-1 vs BEL, etc to come around again. But as someone already stated, get a backbone. Ask your question, if you don't like some of the replies that land in your inbox either use the delete key or think about how you could have reworded the question. Example: I was thinking of taking my windshield off and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the POS off, even with the service manual (damn eyesight isn't what it used to be). I don't know what kind of responses I may have got if I'd asked how to do it, but I did spend about 10 minutes searching and found someone's post on it, complete with pictures. Mission accomplished, and nobody has to waste their time pointing me to the post I'd found, or flaming me.

Dennis

What the fook :blink: ??? I thought you could only post "you guys are dicks" complaints on dogpile Fridays. Somebody's really screwing the dog here.

Just be glad the real dicks are recovering from WFO :yahoo:

This place is on a rapid descent to hell :unsure:

:jester:

Actually, I think it's sort of nice having a bunch of dickheads around. It tends to keep all the whiny assholes away. Sort of like bug spray. It don't smell the best, but it's better than getting the blood sucked out of you a drop at a time!!!
Now just a minute... I'm whiny and I'm still here.

You know, those that are offended easily should just chill. And if you don't like it, don't come here - its all jabs and non-personal fun just like Bounce said. This site is way to valuable of a resource to let a few F-U fests scare anyone away.

Not only that, though, the bottom line, and the main reason I come here - is learning from other's experience and sharing mine to help make this bike, and out riding much better. I think if we all put our effort into that goal, the occassional boredom that creates fights would simply go away. Perhaps Yammie needs to push out an entirely re-vamped 2008 model in order to give us some fresh material to work on, rather than working on each other?!?!

-BD

It's simple, he doesn't need to join to forum to buy a bike. We are not riding on the bike with him, so what does it matter?

Come on try it. . . you will like it.

I'm not here to fight... I'm here to ride and to find... the fountain of

middle age :glare:

I guess I've lived with sarcasm for so long that it doesn't offend me. Plus, I find myself laughing while reading some of the posts. It's too bad that your friend too such offense. I don't post alot but I've asked for help with information many times over the last few years and always had many people give me the information I need. I also realize that I don't always put my posts in the right area so don't mind it when I get a few "friendly" comments but I've never, ever taken offence! I've checked out some of the other forums and find them sort of boring. I suppose I like the crazy comments! I'm sure I'll get a few from this post!

TROLLIN?

The initial statement that started this topic was just that, a statement. It was not a topic of debate. The responses reinforce the final statement. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with what bike my friend buys and was just something he said as part of a long discussion and normally would not have had any merit. Someone said this forum is like a pub or bar, Cheers if you will. You make excuses for totally unacceptable human behavior by saying it is in jest among friends. When have you seen jest attack an individual you don't even know. That goes double for the bar analogy because you could get your ass kicked or in these days shot. This forum is a study in abnormal psychology. Far too many of you have no concept of right and wrong and lump every socially unacceptable action behind the cloak of internet anonymity. There are a bunch of guys on this forum who could use some serious couch time*. It's just too bad that a bunch of good guys are trapped by the 'only game in town' nature of this forum.

Oh, since most of you won't comprehend what I just said, translation - you ARE a bunch of dicks.

*Not said in a joking manner, totally serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.