FI Cleaner ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBlue

Arrhythmia and Blues
Reaction score
I'm taking off for a little 1.5K run and was curious. I'm not big on additives but do run FI cleaner through the car. My FJR, Ziggy, has 12K on him...should I use FI cleaner of is this not such a great idea ?

Bobby

Good question. Most likely, your FJR will be fine if it NEVER ingests any type of fuel additive or cleaner.

Still..........It gives me a warm fuzzy to put a bottle of Techron in every once in a while.

Yesterday, I saw a post by the Grand Wizard Jestal on EZboard where he advocated being very careful with fuel additives. If put in stronger than recommended, or in a nearly empty tank, he said the solvents in the additive can strip the insulation off the electric fuel pump's windings, leading to pre-mature fuel pump failure.

Hmmmmmmmmm......sounds plausible I suppose. Guess I will start putting in the correct amount from now on.

Here is what Jestal had to say:

Be a little carefull with the fuel system "treatments". Port fuel injection systems have the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. The fuel travels thru the fuel pump (to cool it) so the fuel is in contact with the armature windings of most pumps. The armature windings are insulated with a special varnish. If the harsh solvents in the fuel additives or treatments or injector cleaners attack the insulating varnish on the armature windings they will short out and ruin the fuel pump. LOTS of electric fuel pumps have been destroyed by fuel additives poured in by the owners. LOTS of them.
If you must use the additives, make sure and pour in the correct amount for the fuel capacity of the tank and make sure the tank is full. The quickest way to ruin the fuel pump is to pour the whole bottle of treatment (that is meant for 20 gallons) into the empty tank at home and ride to the station. For that few miles the pump is seeing very high concentrations of the harsh solvents and that may be all it takes to take out the pump. I have seen it happen. Always put the additive into the tank when it is full or being filled and always use the correct amount. More is not better.

The best thing is to avoid the additives altogether. The major brands of fuel have the correct additives to prevent injector, intake valve, combustion chamber and exhaust valve deposits. Use them. Cheap gas is cheap for a reason. They often leave out the co-solvents and detergent additives. All the "gasoline" comes from the same exact source...the only difference is the additive package that you are paying for in the better brands of fuel.

Got 34K on my 05 and not a problem, no ticker. I use 4ozs. of the snakeoil Elixr, Marvel Mystery Oil and 6 ozs. of SeaFoam carb/injector cleaner about every 3K miles. Works good for me. Ref, Myster Oil, been using in many bikes for 4 decades. :assasin:

I know you guys may call me crazy but I run a few gallons of 2 stroke fuel through mine every now and then. I do this for two reasons.

First my son and I ride cross country on motocross bikes. They require fresh fuel or they will ping a bit. So, if we don't ride for a couple of weeks I pour the left over fuel into my FJR.

Second I have evidence from riding Harley D's for years that the light mixture of oil is beneficial to the top end. My mechanic went into the heads of my HD after about 14,000 mi of hard use and said the valve and valve guides etc looked brand new...he asked me if I run any type of additives in my fuel, so I told him about my Castor @ a 50:1. He said it really made sense but he would have never thought of it...

I'm not trying to convince anyone else to try it, but on my Harley it really did make a measurable difference in wear. It doesn't cause the bike to smoke or run any differently than it ever runs, it does make it smell like a motocross bike for that tank of fuel... but to me that is a good smell and the oil is actually supposed to be run in fuel!!

BubZ

As Jestal noted, don't over use the stuff. I run the correct quantity of Techron through the FJR until I use the bottle up at each oil change. I also put it in at the station just as I am filling up so that it is fully mixed with the incoming fuel. I agree with Jestal. the worst thing you could do is add any of these additives to an empty tank and then run to the station.

Thanks Scooter et al ! I run 87 octane Chevron almost exclusively in this bike and its my understanding that Techron is their additive. I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. Appreciate your responses. Welcome to the Zoo Bub!!!.... I also love the smell of Castor oil in the morning....that smell....smells like......Victory ! ( or Yammy YZ, Honda CR, or Hodaka Wombat......) :D

Thanks again fellers,

Bobby

On thing to keep in mind about Techron is the amount and the fact that it really works. It's a diffeerent topic, but on the Porsche boards, they talk about using Techron. It does a great job cleaning up the injectors, but as the engine is also oil cooled, it means after a concentration of techron, it is also good to change the oil. I am not sure if that is the case for the FJR.

Techron in the gas from Chevron is in smaller amounts than the bottle. In gas, when used regularly, will keep buildup from occuring. The techron in the bottle is great if you've not run a good gasoline in a while. However, use it in the recommended amounts.

On thing to keep in mind about Techron is the amount and the fact that it really works. It's a diffeerent topic, but on the Porsche boards, they talk about using Techron. It does a great job cleaning up the injectors, but as the engine is also oil cooled, it means after a concentration of techron, it is also good to change the oil. I am not sure if that is the case for the FJR.
Techron in the gas from Chevron is in smaller amounts than the bottle. In gas, when used regularly, will keep buildup from occuring. The techron in the bottle is great if you've not run a good gasoline in a while. However, use it in the recommended amounts.
What about using Techron on your last fill up before your next service? So for me, I could do it at 3800 miles and then take my bike in for it's 4000 miles service which includes an oil change.

I know you guys may call me crazy but I run a few gallons of 2 stroke fuel through mine every now and then.
No concerns about plugging the FJR's catalytic converter with black oily stuff? Jestal?

I'm also surprised to see premix used as a storage prep. Being from the snowbelt, I've had many two stroke sleds and the LAST thing you wanted was pre-mix in the carbs during storage. Something about mixing the oil and fuel would turn that shit to green jelly in no time, then you got to pull the carbs to clean them. I had way fewer problems after oil injection came along. I put 1 ounce per gallon of sea foam in my current two stroke sled and it always starts right up when winter comes. To me, putting oil in the gas would be a trip in the wrong direction. YMMV, I keep all my toys stored indoors, maybe that accounts for my good luck.

Sorry about the Porsche comment. It probably doesn't matter much to us. The last aircooled engines in the Porsche 911 family (type 993) had a big issue with carbon buildup around an O2 sensor.

When using contentrated techron, this would cause larger chunks to come out. This was a reason why people would use techron (especially after the check engine light comes on) and then need to change the oil shortly after. I am assuming this isn't an issue.

The proper way to fix this design issue was to crack open the engine and remove the blockage (At nearly $5K). So, not a lot of people were keen on the idea.

No concerns with plugging the convertor, it burns so hot and there is so little oil. Plus 2 stroke oil is made to burn in the combustion process.

I understand the octane warning as well. But the dirt bikes require 93 octane at a minimum, so the FJR is cool there.

I'm not advocating anyone else do it, but a 50:1 mixture of Castor is some nice stuff. It won't clog the convertor, it has unbelievable lubricity to lube anything it touches and it is made to burn out during the combustion process.

I certainly wouldn't leave it in the tank, but when necessary I'll dump it in the FJR and run it through. I too have always run it through my lawnmower, etc no problems there either. I guess my original point was that it's probably better than Marvel Mystory Oil because it was specifically designed to lubricate and leave during the combustion process.

BubZ

I'm still not sure I agree that the converter can't be harmed by 2 stroke oil. Yes, the oil is designed to be burned, to an extent, in the combustion process. But you'll notice that 2 stroke engines almost always have some oily residue at the tip of the muffler, so not all of the oil gets burned, and the smoky exhuast of a two stroke also indicates that the oil is not being burned off clean.

The catalyst was designed for use with unleaded fuel only, and using 2 stroke oil poses some risk that you will corrupt or destroy the chemical reaction that normally takes place in the converter, rendering it inert, assuming you don't plug it with unburned hydrocarbons over time (I agree that plugging it is unlikely unless you put in 2 stroke oil fairly often).

Running 2 stroke oil through the lawnmower is a different deal - no catalyst and no EFI so no problem, IMO. And I always thought Marvel Mystery Oil was something you put into your oil, not your gas tank, but maybe I'm out to lunch there - I've never used that stuff.

There's no doubt that 2 stroke oil will provide some additional lube to the top end. But here again I have concerns about its effect on mixture. The FJR is EFI - what about the effect of the 2 stroke oil residue on the O2 sensor? Also, it will make the bike run somewhat "rich" while it's in there - what about unwanted deposits in the combustion chamber and on the exhaust valves?

BubZ, you're probably putting so little in there that it doesn't matter at all. Please don't feel like I'm slamming you - I'm not. I just feel that 4 strokes - especially 4 strokes with a catalyst and EFI - are not supposed to be cooking oil off at any measurable rate during combustion. If you dump a little over 3 gallons of 50:1 premix in your tank, you're putting in about 8 ounces of oil that's not intended to be there. Assuming you then had a full tank and ran it about 200 miles before filling up, you'd run that 200 miles at an oil consumption rate of about one quart every 800 miles. Not a huge deal if you're OK with it, but not necessarily something I'd recommend to others unless I had some long term test data to show that it would cause no harm to the EFI and catalyst components.

Just my .02 - ride free.