Final drive failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR is swiftly becoming, if not already, the ZG1000 of the 21st century.
1986 to 1996 2006 Concours 10 -- minimal changes.

2001 to 2011 FJR1300 -- minimal changes.

IF there will be a 2012 FJR, expect sweeping changes then.

JMHO
Corrected. The Connie was a 20 year old design when it finally was updated. And the crazy thing is, even with all its old school technology and warts, the things were still selling, albeit at a laughably low price compared to all the modern fuel injected ST bikes of the time. You could buy a new 2005 FJR for $12k, or for half the price you could have a new 2005 C1000.

Yes, the C1000 WAS in need of an update. The FJR... not so much.

If the improvements were in the engine management, suspension, and in making the bike lighter and better handling, I'd be all for it.

But we all know the only thing they would be likely to do is add a bunch of electronic features like cruise control, fly by wire, traction control, keyless ignition, factory alarms, etc., as standard equipment, further bloating an already porky 2nd gen bike and inflating the price up near the Bee Em Vay stratosphere, where every buyer gets stuck paying for all of that crap, even if they don't want it, and later trying to find someone who can actually fix it WHEN (not if) it breaks, all because a vocal minority says they want it.

No, sir. I like it at the equipment level it is sold at now.

Last edited by a moderator:
In advertising terms, the FJR is all steak, but no sizzle. WE know it's a great bike, but newer models from BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, etc., are going to be more attractive to uninitiated ST riders for one reason only -- They're Newer Designs. New sells....old sits.
Uhh...the FJR is ripening with proper seasoning and is becoming Vintage? In my opinion, nothing is wrong with vintage!

Recalling the words of Orson Wells "No wine is ripe before its time".

Well, if anyone gets in a big BIND, I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage. :)

If Yamaha really wants to update the FJR and offer a selling point no one else does, they can remove the jigsaw puzzle fairings and dash bits and install Dzus fastener removed fairings and dash panels that just come off, instead of having to go together like a silly child's puzzle. And give us some flat spaces for accessory plugs and switches while they are at it. :dribble:

Actually No One, the BMW GS...
[MASSIVE snippage to save the baby seals]

...GS models and their incomparable boxer engine.
God Damn, Don! Are you hallucinating from the Kool-Aid? That was damn near copyright infringement! Tolstoy wants his manuscript back!

:p :p :p

BTW, You and No One announce a date yet?
Not yet, but we have exchanged class rings! **** the baby seals, a direct quotation from mi Amigo odot! Ah the ever delicious BMW Kool-Aid, always so sweet and refreshing. **** Tolstoy too, Commie Bastard!

I can hear the kid on the phone with Papa Chuey, saying "Hey Meeester, my mother was a virgin only thirteen times. Eeenterested? I gots blue pills too."

Then finding out it's the TV guy and you're on candid camera.

As for the original post, I work in a field of people figuring out new ways to screw up solid products. Actually most of them even fail to find new ways, they just screw up.

There are plenty of other variables that would have to be looked into. For example, a mechanic may have massively overtorque the nut onto the bearing at some point, then back it off before returning the bike to you. As Iggy wrote, interesting data point, but so far it's a one-off. Sorry you had to go through it.
Mi Compadre Checkswrecks, Hopefully someday before they plant us both, you and I can have a drink or catorce together. It will take seis cervezas, quatro shots of Herradura Tequila and uno shot of Mezcal, but: I will tell you the sordid tale of when BMW started manufacturing the layshaft on the Airhead Type 247 5-speed transmissions without the previously machined circlip on the end! "...figuring out new ways to screw up solid products." BMW screwed the pooch on that one!!!

**** the baby seals
Well that explains all those FD failures. Seal fucker! You stretching out all those baby seals made them fail later when installed on BMW FDs. :lol:
Point well taken, Eric. Lo Siento!

**** Tolstoy too, Commie Bastard!
Wait, don't diss Tolstoy too quickly there El Burrito Bandito. You haven't been incarcerated long enough >YET< in your lifetime, to write a book HAVE YOU?
https://cla.calpoly.edu/hist/faculty_profil...ger_daniel.html Hi George, Are you friends with Dr. Dan Krieger at Cal Poly? Dan was my favorite History Professor and we used to discuss Tolstoy at length. Say hi for me!

Dr. Kreiger used to have History Study evenings at his home in San Luis Obispo on Thursday nights. Show up with a case of beer and pizzas; and discuss History and Politics for hours. We were all Military Veterans!

I believe I see the problem... It's a GenII.
Seriously, are you the original owner? I ask because I wonder how well it was maintained.

There isn't all that much to "maintaining" a final drive. Keep it full of jizz.

He says it was (when it failed) and that he even changed it now and then, which is all it should need.

The rest of what folks do, lubing the drive splines, etc., thinking they are "maintaining" the drive is recreational.

I think the point that people may be missing here is, OK so there was a final drive failure. Why so surprised?

That is one out of how many? Every manufactured part, and especially assembly, has the potential to have a manufacturing defect which results in a failure. It is impossible to build anything with 100% infallibility.

The fact that a single final drive has failed is more proof of that premise than anything else.

Unless there are a number of similar failures, (say like the ground spiders? Or BMW final drives?) it does not indicate that there is anything at all wrong with the design. And, considering the number of successful final drives running around, and with lots of accumulated miles, a single failure data point should be absolutely no cause for concern to anyone, except the guy who owns the failed drive. ;)

Ahhh...real world logic...a rare find in any forum.

Yep, hate them final drive failures!

P1010005-2.jpg

The FJR is one very solid bike that is need of an update.
I keep hearing this mantra being regurgitated, but I really can not agree.

Exactly what is it about the FJR that is so dated that it needs an update?
In advertising terms, the FJR is all steak, but no sizzle. WE know it's a great bike, but newer models from BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, etc., are going to be more attractive to uninitiated ST riders for one reason only -- They're Newer Designs. New sells....old sits.

1986 to 1996 Concours 10 -- minimal changes.

JMHO
OTOH -- when you've got a good design... One well-known bike has had runs of 1988-2000, 2001-2011 (at least...)

JMHO
Uh, what? 1986-1996 Concours 10? More like 1986-2006. 20 years with no change as opposed to 10. Yamaha has a little bit of time left.

JMHO
Uh, what? 1986-1996 Concours 10? More like 1986-2006. 20 years with no change as opposed to 10. Yamaha has a little bit of time left.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....I mis-typed. FredW already pointed that out, Mister Late-to-the-party. And the ZG had NO "in-class" competition for most of its 20 years. NOT the same can be said for the FJR. Stand still and get passed.

All I will say on this issiue is that after 125k miles on my '03 GSA, one of the main reasons I didnt get another BMW, or another GS was because of the final drive fear. My mechanic (an independant) has looked at my final drive and says is fine. But, as often as I take off on long ass trips I have NO intention of being in BFE or Nowhereville, Montana when my FD decides to finally give out.

I do like how retardedly EASY maintenance is on this FJR.

Keeping the damn thing UNDER 80mph is the challenge :angry: