Finally got to sit on a new FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepairMan

Reaction score
I've been visiting here for a long, long time, even ridden with a few of you. I was fortunate to attended last years EOM as a guest for a short while, but until today I haven't had the chance to actually sit on a new FJR. These bikes are still very rare here, but one of the local dealers kept his word and called me to come in and take a look. I'm still hoping to have a shot at riding one before I make a trade. I know that's a lot to ask. Most of you had to buy sight unseen like I did my FZ1.

My first impressions are very, very good!

I like the way the bike fits me, right off. It just has the right feel about it. The weight of the bike over what I'm riding now is something I'd get use to. I spent a lot of time on an 03 Honda ST1300 so that's not a real issue. Comfort is my top priority and this thing is far more plush than my FZ1. That's no surprise. I guess you could say it was everything I expected it to be. The only reason I wasn't wearing a big smile is because I knew I wasn't taking it home.

I spent my last few minutes trying to sum up the new color. It's too hard to make judgement on under the showroom lights. I just know it pops in direct sunlight. Either way it's a beautiful bike with a lot of features for the money. I'll get there someday.

https://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m246/Th...il072007001.jpg

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger,

I know you from the FZ1owners forum when I had mine. I sold my '06 FZ-1 and bought an '06 FJR. It is everything you think it is. You won't be disappointed. Come on over.

Rumble

And, Roger, the color "pops" in the sunlight.

Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated! And you'll like it, too.

I've been visiting here for a long, long time, even ridden with a few of you. I was fortunate to attended last years EOM as a guest for a short while, but until today I haven't had the chance to actually sit on a new FJR. These bikes are still very rare here, but one of the local dealers kept his word and called me to come in and take a look. I'm still hoping to have a shot at riding one before I make a trade. I know that's a lot to ask. Most of you had to buy sight unseen like I did my FZ1.

I like the way the bike fits me, right off. It just has the right feel about it. The weight of the bike over what I'm riding now is something I'd get use to. I spent a lot of time on an 03 Honda ST1300 so that's not a real issue. Comfort is my top priority and this thing is far more plush than my FZ1. That's no surprise. I guess you could say it was everything I expected it to be. The only reason I wasn't wearing a big smile is because I knew I wasn't taking it home.

I spent my last few minutes trying to sum up the new color. It's too hard to make judgement on under the showroom lights. I just know it pops in direct sunlight. Either way it's a beautiful bike with a lot of features for the money. I'll get there someday.

Meonan07FJRApril072007001.jpg

Roger
If you are anywhere close to the Alabama line then I would suggest going to D&H Cycle in Culman Alabama.Can save a lot not to mention they are the most reasonable for the YES program.Toll free is 888-553-3311.One crazy note is that Alabama does not allow for temp tags or one way trip tags so you may have to get it shipped to you.

Not only does the bike FIT you, but you already have the matching shirt!!!!

Don't wait, Roger. For every day that you wait, you WILL look back at some point in time and say "why the hell didn't I buy this bike sooner".

Roger - very nice post. I hope you buy the bike so I can read more of your observations regarding the fjr and the community..

The grass is greener, the grass is greener (subliminal message).

C'mon man, everybody's doing it...

Not only does the bike FIT you, but you already have the matching shirt!!!!
Don't wait, Roger. For every day that you wait, you WILL look back at some point in time and say "why the hell didn't I buy this bike sooner".
You beat me to it rider! Been there got the shirt would have been my tag.

Go for the FJR...how many posts do you read on here that say they dont like the thing and wish they never bought it.???

I got a full refund on one that had an incurable missfire....and went and bought another.

All you former FZ1 guys are making it hard on us FZ1 guys! Yes, I'm on an 06 FZ1 but I have been eyeing the FJR even before I got the FZ1. You think its hard to find an FJR to sit on? I had to fly to Seattle one year for the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show, then in February I was in San Diego on business so I managed to check it out again.

OK, former FZ1 (Gen 2) tell me if the reach to the ground is a little better than the FZ1? I'm short and I did a custom Rick Mayer seat to give me a better reach and ride comfort. That, plus convincing the wife, is all that stands between getting a new FJR.

Nah, I don't need to go state to state I just want more comfort.

Aloha,

Huladog

FZ1 guy

Roger

Roger,

I see that you live in Tennessee.

I live in southeast Tn. just outside of Knoxville.

If you live around this area just pm me and we will arrange for you to take that ride for as long as you want.

I have a couple of bikes, you of course can ride the fjr.

You will love it.

Richard

Roger,I see that you live in Tennessee.

If you live around this area just pm me and we will arrange for you to take that ride for as long as you want.

You will love it.

Richard
Hey Richard,

That's a very generous and down right krazy offer you made me. I'll be in line with folks waiting to ride your bike once this gets out. Ol' Slapnpop would never approve of you doing this ...he's seen me ride! :rolleyes:

One of my close friends here was like that with his Honda ST1300. He actually gave me the spare key to it and his garage to use one whole summer that I was bike-less. He had seven bikes then and has owned many, many more, including an FZ1, but has since become disabled and sold them all. I rode with him his very last ride. It's very hard to replace that kind of trust and friendship.

So you live not too far from the Deals Gap area? My wife and I rode the gap with our Honda (Accord, that is) just after the 05 FJR EOM, but I've never taken my FZ1 that far from home. It's just not comfortable enough to make the trip enjoyable. We might try another trip to the area later this year and I'd love to meet up with you.

Thanks again for the offer,

Roger

...and thanks to all you other guys for the much welcomed comments of encouragement!

BTW, the shirt color was just a coincidence...hehehe!

Richard,

For a second there I thought I'd written your reply to Roger. I was thinking of making the same offer. The other Richard is correct Roger, you will love the FJR, especially for those long rides. :yahoo:

I live in Maryville, TN and ride an '06. Probably seen each other around area. Lets get together sometime for a ride and compare bikes.

Cheers,

Richard C.

Roger

Roger,

I see that you live in Tennessee.

You will love it.

Richard

I also traded in my 06 FZ1 for a 07 FJR Black Cherry. The size difference is noticeable for about 2 minutes. The FJR is the way to go.

Richard,

For a second there I thought I'd written your reply to Roger. I was thinking of making the same offer. The other Richard is correct Roger, you will love the FJR, especially for those long rides. :yahoo:

I live in Maryville, TN and ride an '06. Probably seen each other around area. Lets get together sometime for a ride and compare bikes.

Cheers,

Richard C.

Richard,

Any time that you want to meet just let me know.

Seems to me that we need to get together and ride a little.

PM me when you get a chance and I'll let you know where I live and give ya my mobil #.

Richard

Of the 78 bikes I've owned over the years, none has been closer to "perfect" (for me anyhow...) than my '06 FJR. The '03 FJR was very good...as long as the temps weren't above 70F, but that problem was SOLVED with the '06. Ride and handling are, IMO, better, too despite the wt. gain.

These are excellent all around road bikes that work fine for short or l-o-n-g rides. Only weak spot-typical-is the saddle: good for @ an hour. However, both Sargent and Corbin have the solution to that. I did have a optional Corbin built, Yamaha labeled saddle on my first FJR which was very supportive and comfy on long trips. Get the FJR, you won't regret it! DFO :D

I'm another former FZ1 owner. I couldn't be more happier with the FJR. My wife now enjoys riding with me. Trust me,like everyone else here says. You won't be dissappointed.

Really Roger, you won't like the FJR - these guys are just mad because they spent all that money on that big, heavy, comfortable, fast, strong, great-looking bike.

Why shoot, I could barely stand to ride mine for the last 41,300 miles it was so bad.

Get the bike, keep the shirt and buy the bike from that dealer. If he is smart enough to cover the saddlebags before he lets someone sit on the bike, there is some intelligence there.