Finally got up the nerve to do it...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I actuate my ABS now is because it DID fail on me and locked up my rear tire. The hydraulic unit had rusted open because the brake fluid had not been changed and the ABS had not been actuated. That was a ~$1200.00 repair. When I test my ABS I ALWAYS do so at a slow speed on a straight, level, deserted road and I ALWAYS do it with the rear tire first. Since I had never done the front ABS I wanted to find out how it felt and how the bike acted. Let me tell you it was HARD for me to overcome my training of slowly compresssing that front lever. It took me three or four trys to actually get the front ABS to kick in.

While this is something I did, I in no way suggest anyone else go out there and start clamping down hard on the front brake; ABS or not. Hind site being 20/20 I should have waited until I had a riding partner in case something did happen that I did not expect.

Way back when my father used to ride a motorcycle he would adjust the front brake so it could NOT lock up in case he got into a panic situation.

Since I had never done the front ABS I wanted to find out how it felt and how the bike acted. Let me tell you it was HARD for me to overcome my training of slowly compresssing that front lever. It took me three or four trys to actually get the front ABS to kick in.
That was also my situation. I have owned 4 bikes with ABS and never activated the front ABS on any of them so I wanted to see if the front ABS actually worked. I tried several times on dry pavement and even though I stopped very quickly nothing happened. Then I visited a friend who has a long (and smooth) gravel driveway and decided to hit the front brake on dirt at a very slow speed and see what would happen...and it was really easy to activate the ABS on the front...nothing on the rear. I thought the reason the rear would not lockup was because of the linked braking system but later that day I did the same thing on my C14 (which also has linked brakes) and it was very easy to activate the ABS on both ends...so its time to check out the FJR's rear brake/brake lines.

The only reason I am posting my experience is to let others know there is a very easy (and safe) alternative to find out if your ABS is functional.

Update: I did have air in the (rear pedal) brake lines but the air was in the front brake line. I now have about twice the stopping power when using the rear pedal by itself, which still is not that much in comparison to the front brakes...and the ABS works.

Last edited by a moderator: