Finally Here!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
After a very long 2 weeks riding the rock that Corbin calls its 'Canyon' saddle my Russell finally arrived today! :yahoo:

I had it made in leather with the half-moon stitching pattern.

Immediately threw on the heated gear and the wifey and I took her for a maiden voyage. Oh man, it was amazing. I don't even know where to start. Everything about the seat blew away the stocker.

I'm loving being talled in the saddle, the air is cleaner, every trace of buffet is gone, my legs fall perfectly in line, I have better posture on the bike....the only thing is that its noticebly harder to reach the ground... now I know how you guys with inseams under 30" feel. It's a bit sketchy untill I get used to it and the edges of the seat soften up.

I'm thinking of ditching work tomorrow to ride!

Here's a crappy Pic from my Blackberry.

NewSeat-phonepic.jpg

Those who don't have one wonder why we try to steer them there. Why spend so much cash trying to avoid a custom seat and only getting yet another band aid? :thumbsup:

Those who don't have one wonder why we try to steer them there. Why spend so much cash trying to avoid a custom seat and only getting yet another band aid? :thumbsup:
What he said!

When I simply HAD to replace my OEM to comfortably ride my FJR I listened to Bounce and Warchild as they expounded on the comfort of the Russell seat. Now, at over 70,000 miles on my Russell, I've never regretted my decision to follow their lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've just bought the last seat you'll ever buy.

I bought mine off a fellow Forum member and put it on just before I left for SFO.

Man oh man.... That seat transformed the FJR into a bike I can ride all day in complete comfort.

Mrs. BG gives it "2 Buns Up." :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mine has the velour cover. I like it - it's "grippy" to keep us from sliding around, and it's cool in hot weather. I do have to be diligent when it rains and put the rain cover on it, but that's OK. (Did anyone mention it rained at SFO? And EOM??)

At EOM, I can't tell you how many people hopped on the FJR to test the seat.

Yep. It's da bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm signed up for the group buy, and can't wait. I am slightly concerned about the height, as I'm right at a 30" inseam and I already tip toe around.

I see you're in the Springs too. We should meet up for a ride sometime, when the snow stops :huh:

I'm signed up for the group buy, and can't wait. I am slightly concerned about the height, as I'm right at a 30" inseam and I already tip toe around. I see you're in the Springs too. We should meet up for a ride sometime, when the snow stops :huh:
Definately. As long as the roads are dry I'm down for a ride.

As for the seat height...I sat on 3 others before I sent mine away and one of them was shorter/narrower than mine came out. I didn't ask the guys inseam (doh) but his torso looked longer than mine, and he may have been a bit shorter overall as well. Russell will build your seat for YOU making sure you can still reach the ground. This is the reason you send them pics of you with feet on ground and feet on pegs. It gives them an idea of how to make the front of the seat.

I also think that as the edges of the saddle soften up it'll get easier as well. After really looking and measuring, the russell is narrower than the corbin right up near the tank, but squarer, once that breaks in it'll be fine I'm sure. I'm headed for an 8 day Vegas/Zion/Arches/Monument Valley trip in a week. I'll know by the time I get back.

I'm signed up for the group buy, and can't wait. I am slightly concerned about the height, as I'm right at a 30" inseam and I already tip toe around. I see you're in the Springs too. We should meet up for a ride sometime, when the snow stops :huh:
Definately. As long as the roads are dry I'm down for a ride.

As for the seat height...I sat on 3 others before I sent mine away and one of them was shorter/narrower than mine came out. I didn't ask the guys inseam (doh) but his torso looked longer than mine, and he may have been a bit shorter overall as well. Russell will build your seat for YOU making sure you can still reach the ground. This is the reason you send them pics of you with feet on ground and feet on pegs. It gives them an idea of how to make the front of the seat.

I also think that as the edges of the saddle soften up it'll get easier as well. After really looking and measuring, the russell is narrower than the corbin right up near the tank, but squarer, once that breaks in it'll be fine I'm sure. I'm headed for an 8 day Vegas/Zion/Arches/Monument Valley trip in a week. I'll know by the time I get back.
You will not regret buying the Russell , Wife and I just got back from riding from Florida to NC, around 2800 miles of riding and the seat was never a problem, enjoy.

Just wondering on the Russell seats: does that interim separator piece need to be in there? Seems as though it would push me closer to the tank. Is that optional, or the same on all FJR Day-Long Russell seats?

+1 on Russell. I'm 300+ lbs and have no problems/pain/discomfort riding for 6 hours (actual saddle time).

Rich

Looks like one comfortable seat. I just can't get over the wings...It just doesn't seem to fit with the FJR. But, as long as it's comfortable and fits your arse...I guess that's what's important. Enjoy :clapping:

Just wondering on the Russell seats: does that interim separator piece need to be in there? Seems as though it would push me closer to the tank. Is that optional, or the same on all FJR Day-Long Russell seats?
Ehh...Yeah, it does need to be there, on mine anyway. See , where I sit there was alot of room behind me on the stock seat, so when RCP made my saddle they put the 'pocket' for my ass where it needed to be and had all that left over room. So like all Day-long seats, there is a back stop, sometimes it's the pillion seat, sometimes its a wedge like you see on mine.

You really should at least glance at the Yamaha section of RCP's website. It shows just about every combination/construction/whatever that can be done to a saddle for the FJR. After looking again, there are actually NO other seats that have the 'interim seperator piece' like mine.

I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin.