Finally let her breathe fire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've just completed my first full month with the FJR and have a thing or two to say about a thing or two. First off, I've been riding bikes since I was about 9, and started racing motocross at about 12. Left all that behind in my teens, and have been on street bikes ever since. I'm only giving you good friends a bit of background to preface what I have to say next. Although I've had about 8 or 9 street bikes over the years, I've tried to stay away from crotch-rockets only because if I had one, I know I would push it to it's limit. For that reason, I've kept to Magna's, Standards, and one of my latest loves, a V-Strom DL650 (wee-strom). See, with a multi-purpose bike like that, I can't really be challenged. I can cruise, or hit a dirt trail.

Enter FJR.... I decided I wanted a Sport Tour bike and the FJR was the top choice, besting a Connie, by a slim margin. What i expected was another combination bike: sporty, but very tour capable. I figured, I would not be tempted to push a 600lbs + bike too hard since in my mind, its not really optimal for canyons etc. Problem is, I ride with a group, and part of that group has some very good riders, and on very fast and bikes. Southern California has some of the best back roads for bike riding in the country, and I'm pretty much on them every weekend. Since getting my FJR, I've sold my Honda Magna, and only have ridden my V-Strom once.

Back to the weekend rides. Last Friday, I went riding with a pretty fast group to Angeles Crest Highway. Finally pretty comfortable with my new FJR, I found myself pushing the bike to see what she's made of. Well, although many of you are likely to be laid back riders, I'm sure at least a few of you know what I mean when I say, this bike holds its own. I was riding with a Hayabusa, so I was pushed pretty hard. He and I broke from the pack and did some 70mph turns, just short of scraping pegs. I was still getting to know the bike a bit. Saturday, I went with another group to highway 33, a bit north, which is an amazing road. All in all, between Friday and the end of Sunday, I rode about 800 miles of mostly twisties.

I just want to sum up that this bike we have, really is an amazing machine. The stock Bridgestone Battleax OEM tires are way better than I expected they'd be, as I rode within a quarter inch of the end of the sidewall and had perfect cupping on both front and rear tires showing how they are doing their job. If there is any possible down side is, that this bike really makes me want to ride hard (didn't expect that). The up side is, riding is a major part of my life and I don't think I could have found a better all-around motorcycle. SO very happy with my decision. I just hope I'm not too tempted, too often to push harder. 4th of July is a nice coastal ride to Laguna Seca for the races!

Cheers all!!!

-Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Get ready to replace that front after a couple more of those weekends, though. -021 front is very short-lived on this bike, 3-4 thousand for most. Rear's a decent tire.

Ya, GREAT BIKE! Congrats!! A buddy of mine riding a GSXR rode my feejer and was extremely impressed, particularly since she handles so well given her size.

True about life expectancy of front OEM 021 Bridgestone...mine was toast after 3K, also riding So Cali...Malibu, 33, crest...lots of twisties. Enjoy and ride safe.

You and I have similar backgrounds and apparent riding styles. A HUGE, no HUGE improbement for the portly fjr is suspension upgrades. I installed a penske 3 way adjustable and had GP Suspension work magic on forks. The difference is night and day, especially as the oem rear fades away at about 12k..

Enjoy your ride!

He,,

Jim my man. Ther are many here who ride the FJR in a laid back manner.. Like DCarver.. :p He is kinda slow..and Wfooshee.. ;) But others here are a bit spirited

Be careful.. She is the song of the siren.. Have fun

Oh,, and I got a penske triple for sale.. Jes sayin..

He,,
Jim my man. Ther are many here who ride the FJR in a laid back manner.. Like DCarver.. :p He is kinda slow..and Wfooshee.. ;) But others here are a bit spirited

Be careful.. She is the song of the siren.. Have fun

Oh,, and I got a penske triple for sale.. Jes sayin..

The FJR is a VERY capable bike. I have a a full Dales system with PC3 and have replaced the rear shock with a top line Penske and had Lee At Traxxion help me re-do the forks. I ride mostly canyons in the Rockies and when riden hard this bike repays in spades. I would actually call it one of the sportiest, best handling, all around bikes, ever made. The equation Yamaha used when designing it , to me, is perfect.

Quote[The stock Bridgestone Battleax OEM tires are way better than I expected they'd be, as I rode within a quarter inch of the end of the sidewall and had perfect cupping on both front and rear tires showing how they are doing their job.]

?????? Glad you like the FJR but, the use of perfect and cupping in the same sentence has got me confused. Please explain. Thanks! :blink:

+1 on upgrading the bouncy bits.

Still can't go as fast in the tight stuff as when I'm on my wife's stock sv650, but it absorbs the rough MN/WI roads better (not to mention hauling a load of stuff long distances).

He,,
Chalk me up as a slow one. Not that I don't want to ride fast, just wanna get better at riding first, and also the group I ride with, I'm probably half the age of the next youngest member. And they're all goldwing/cruiser riders who ride for the scenery. But after I get better, and get out of central TX where most of the roads seem to have gentle sweepers at best, I'll fine tune my skills and probably ride more spiritedly.
And the best part of all, is the FJR can do both, equally comfortably.

Alexi

He,,
Chalk me up as a slow one. Not that I don't want to ride fast, just wanna get better at riding first, and also the group I ride with, I'm probably half the age of the next youngest member. And they're all goldwing/cruiser riders who ride for the scenery. But after I get better, and get out of central TX where most of the roads seem to have gentle sweepers at best, I'll fine tune my skills and probably ride more spiritedly.
And the best part of all, is the FJR can do both, equally comfortably.

Alexi

Alexi.. I was teasin.. Neither one of those two guys are slow..

I dont know many here that would encourage you to ride fast unless you chose to.. That is not how it works here.. NOTHING screws up a group ride like someone going down hard.. Messy!!

Well, actually, I am kinda slow. . . . Except in a straight line. Don't get a helluva lot of leaning practice around here! :rolleyes:

In a turn I look like a cruiser rookie, 4 inches of peg clearance and lifting my toes so I won't scrape my boots! Seriously!! I caught myself doing that the other day. :eek: