Finally let her breathe fire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad those battle ax's are working out for you, you are one of the few. And I am glad you are enjoying your new bike isnt it lovely?

Quote[The stock Bridgestone Battleax OEM tires are way better than I expected they'd be, as I rode within a quarter inch of the end of the sidewall and had perfect cupping on both front and rear tires showing how they are doing their job.]

?????? Glad you like the FJR but, the use of perfect and cupping in the same sentence has got me confused. Please explain. Thanks! :blink:
Ah, well I think the word "cupping" seems generally associated with bad or uneven tire wear, but even if you have evenly worn sides with consistent shredding of rubber off your sidewalls, that is good cupping. What I meant in my statement was that its got that slightly shredded feel to both the front and rear tires along the sides. That means the tires are doing their job. On many bikes I've ridden hard, I would get it only on the front tires, I don't know why, but this big beastly beauty sticks pretty damn well!

I don't know why, but this big beastly beauty sticks pretty damn well!
Just wait until you get comfortable and you burn out of a turn at about 8k in third gear. Your ass puckers, your mind says "Holy Shit!!", and you hope the next turn is just as fun......Or so I have heard. :rolleyes:

I too love my new FJR, just clocked up the first 7000k. The bridgestone front looked okay at 4000k, and performed reasonably well. It was totally shot at 6000k (3600miles). Never seen anything like it in my 30 years of riding. Last 1000k on michellin pilot road 2, so far so good.

I am having the same feeling as you lately, i love to push the bike a little, what worries me is the low clearance, and the overall weight of the bike. I fear that unlike my previous lightweight standard, this one may be less forgiving in case of rider mistakes or unforseen obstacles.

Thankfully I have nothing to base the above statement on other than sentiment, and i hope it remains that way...

Oh yeah, and my 03 came stock with metzelers, +1,000,000 on the Michelin Pilot Road 2's that replaced them. That's some damn sticky rubber, like a redneck on a vinyl couch in a trailer park sticky.

Last edited by a moderator: