Finally picked up my new FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteflyer

Reaction score
Trailered my new FJR home late Saturday afternoon. Got her on the road just a bit to get familiar with the brakes and handling. Pulled into the garage to add a pigtail to the battery posts so I can hook up a trickle charger to ride out the rest of this winter. I think the first farcle I want to add is an audio bluetooth system that will allow me to answer the cellphone when she calls with the infamous "on your way home, would you stop at......" phone call.

Ya'll have any reccomendations as to where I can start looking at said device?

I can't tell you how anxious I am to get out on the road on this beauty and get a smile back on my face.

-Paul

Trailered my new FJR home late Saturday afternoon. Got her on the road just a bit to get familiar with the brakes and handling. Pulled into the garage to add a pigtail to the battery posts so I can hook up a trickle charger to ride out the rest of this winter. I think the first farcle I want to add is an audio bluetooth system that will allow me to answer the cellphone when she calls with the infamous "on your way home, would you stop at......" phone call.

I can't tell you how anxious I am to get out on the road on this beauty and get a smile back on my face.

-Paul

The Bluetooth phone thing can be found by googling - Cardo Scala Rider....

Your FIRST farkle should be a pair of frame sliders...New bikes seem to more suseptable to gravity than old ones. Don't ask how I know this.

I too feel your pain , it has been over 8 weeks since I have had the chance to ride. We got a good foot of snow and the roads have just been real crappy since Christmas...(I actually just installed a battery charger plug pigtail thingy yesterday)

KM

Congrats on your new ride, along with sliders and big foot make sure you your kick stand is fully extended before you put set her down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Paul :clapping: I sure know how you feel. I got my new 08 a week ago Sat and the only riding I've been able to do was bringing her home. Have found myself sitting on her in the garage like a kid a couple of times. I am sooooooo looking forward to warmer weather (like 40's or 50's)

Enjoy and be safe

Congrats! Yup. Agreed with the sliders and the big foot. Really, all things considered, those are some of the least expensive farkles you will get... and save you the most money potentially!

+1 on sliders and Wynpro. I use Scala Teamset Pro, it works great with Blackberry and Zumo 660. Congrats on one of the best bikes made!! Keep the shiny side up.

See, now, if you'd had the foresight to live a couple of states to the south, you could be riding now. But if you want to pass the next couple of months in the company of your new ride productively, take it apart a couple of times and put it back together. You know, pull off all the plastic, find out where all the nuts and bolts go, locate the battery, take off the wheels, remove the tires and remount them. That kind of stuff.

It'll be spring before you know it. Glad to help... ;)

Ya ya sliders are great never bought them or the big foot thing either. How much audio do you want and how integrated do you want it to be. After you decide what it is you want then ask the next question.

-Paul
Lots of bluetooths to choose from. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 with the Scala Rider G4. The combination of the two is incredibly buggy. They just don't play well together. Especially when you throw another intercom to talk to on the road. Most of the bugs I think are the Scala's. I would never buy that unit again. I usually have to re-boot the unit multiple times a day. They're a great example of a design rushed out to market before its ready all with the promise of firmware upgrades later. The problem is they've only had 2 firmware upgrades in the last year and none of the major bugs were addressed. Plus it takes about 8 seconds to establish connection to another G4 which is so stupid. Funny to, cause I read good stuff about the G2.

But I'd definitely get a Zumo again. Garmin has its share of bugs and has the worst tech support imaginable, but its a great unit. Ver 3.9 has worked great for me. If my buddy had not also bought a G4, I'd sell that piece of shit and get the Sena.

Congrads on the bike. I just up my new 2009 2 weekends ago.

-Paul
Lots of bluetooths to choose from. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 with the Scala Rider G4. The combination of the two is incredibly buggy. They just don't play well together. Especially when you throw another intercom to talk to on the road. Most of the bugs I think are the Scala's. I would never buy that unit again. I usually have to re-boot the unit multiple times a day. They're a great example of a design rushed out to market before its ready all with the promise of firmware upgrades later. The problem is they've only had 2 firmware upgrades in the last year and none of the major bugs were addressed. Plus it takes about 8 seconds to establish connection to another G4 which is so stupid. Funny to, cause I read good stuff about the G2.

But I'd definitely get a Zumo again. Garmin has its share of bugs and has the worst tech support imaginable, but its a great unit. Ver 3.9 has worked great for me. If my buddy had not also bought a G4, I'd sell that piece of shit and get the Sena.

Congrads on the bike. I just up my new 2009 2 weekends ago.
My Scala G2 works flawlessly with my Evo :) And at $169 for the set with two headsets from newenough...cant be beat.

After your first long ride, say 300 miles, your desire for a real seat, like a Rick Mayer, will be burning in your mind and your butt. Once your lower back side is comfortable, you will wish you had purchased the Rick Mayer seat right off the bat.

FWFE

If you do more sporty riding you will find the stock suspension wanting.

IMHO the best and first thing to do to any bike is to get the suspension working correctly for you.

The rear shock is not rebuildable and is undersprung for the bike. There are lots of choices here. (Ohlins, Wilber, Penske) I have the Wilbers with remote resevoir and hydralic preload adjuster but probably would have gone with an Olhins had it been available at the time.

I did the GP Suspension upgrade to the forks (they also overhauled and resprung my rear shock) and the results truly are amazing. I cannot recommend this upgrade enough.

The very first Thing you will need is a second job to pay for all the stuff you will want to put on your new bike....

When I bought mine the stealer told me that there was not many extras for the FJR... Hell just wait, everyone here will help you spend your money.....