Finished wilbers install and went for test ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 7wt Maxim, and vrified immediatly after install that I would be able to fully adjust preload on my basic 640 in it's mounted position with wheel in place, this on a bike with ABS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm installing my front springs in the '03 FJR this weekend and noticed a few things that caused me concern. First the airspace was way off even with the stock springs still in. I saw 120 mm and still no evidence of oil on the ruler (yes the forks were bottomed and vertical)! S/B 79 mm per the manual (no seal leaks either), then removed the damper cartridge and noticed approx. 10 mm slop between spring an washer before removal off of damper rod. Measured spring and service limit is 264 mm max. S/B 270 free length, measured 260! Humm? The Wilber's spring measures 285 mm. Spacer is supposed to be 143.5 mm, measures 149 mm. Anyone else come up with these #'s as well? Debating if I should trim the spacer to 143.5 now. :blink:

I think it was past due for a suspension tune up, or maybe proper setup from the factory! lol

I saw 120 mm and still no evidence of oil on the ruler (yes the forks were bottomed and vertical)! S/B 79 mm per the manual
OK, first...did you COMPLETELY compress the fork? It drops another 10mm slowly if you somwhat force the top rod downward. You need to do that for an accurate reading.

Second..do you have an 03 US model? If so...I bet you are using the Euro manual. Stock 03 US is 100mm. Stock 02 Euro model (equivalent to our 03) is 79mm. I (almost) made the same mistake. As I mentioned in the FJR tech article, you must use the correct manual.

When installing the front springs on my '03, the wilbers were a bit longer on the free length, and the spacer tube was much higher than before.

I had to *carefully* hold the threaded rod by the inside while pushing the rod down, and then holding it below the threads to get the nut on. It was also difficult to get the cap back into the fork tube because of how much stiffer the spring was. I had to push down with almost my full body weight while turning to compress the last 1/2" or so. I don't know how light 150lbs people are going to do it.

I saw 120 mm and still no evidence of oil on the ruler (yes the forks were bottomed and vertical)! S/B 79 mm per the manual
OK, first...did you COMPLETELY compress the fork? It drops another 10mm slowly if you somwhat force the top rod downward. You need to do that for an accurate reading.

Second..do you have an 03 US model? If so...I bet you are using the Euro manual. Stock 03 US is 100mm. Stock 02 Euro model (equivalent to our 03) is 79mm. I (almost) made the same mistake. As I mentioned in the FJR tech article, you must use the correct manual.
Yes, the forks were completely bottomed out and checked before disassembled and cleaning. WIlbers said to use the 80 mm airspace instead of the 100 mm, and yes I do have the Euro manual, but US spec bike. Can someone give me the spring spec's and spacer length of a US model from their US manual? It would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: