First Aid Kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I wanted to have a first aid kit on the bike and want to put something together myself since it seems that most kits that I find are made for soccer mom's driving SUV's. Any suggestions as to what items to put in there would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep it on the fairly compact side in some type of kit that is waterproof. Rider Wearhouse has a couple of kits but it seems that I can probably put something together and save myself some bucks....

I wanted to have a first aid kit on the bike and want to put something together myself since it seems that most kits that I find are made for soccer mom's driving SUV's. Any suggestions as to what items to put in there would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep it on the fairly compact side in some type of kit that is waterproof. Rider Wearhouse has a couple of kits but it seems that I can probably put something together and save myself some bucks....

Off the top of my head (probably not all inclusive): 4x4 gauze bandages, roll of surgical tape, bandaids, two foot piece of surgical tubing (to be used as a tourniquet, but a belt works ok if needed until ambulance arrives), NSAID of choice such as Ibuprofen or tylenol, or whatever your doctor recomends. DO NOT USE Aspirin as it decreases clotting and can worsen bleeding. Band Aids, small scissors/knife, OTC antiseptic, a waterproof sealed container (1 gallon resealable baggie works pretty well) to put it all in. A list of all prescription medications and illnesses you can hopefully hand to EMT/RN/MD if needed, and laminate it and update it at least yearly (the most important thing IMHO).

Probably other things would be handy or something great I forgot, but that will get you started. Ask your local pharmacist/medical supply store and they can help you get the stuff together. Real cheap insurance......reminds me I have to put one together :huh:

Hope this helps.

Hey, Good topic. Head on over to www.bravesoldier.com, and check out their stuff. I got a couple of their "Crash Paks" road rash survival kits. It comes in a sealed kit that is about 4" x 6". Their stuff is geared to bicycle riders but road rash is road rash I figure. I also like their anti-biotic cream for cuts and scratches.

Bill

As a physician, I pack a fairly heavy amount of medical gear on a trip. In general I agree with the above posts; gauze roll or 2x2 or 4x4 pads, bandaids, NSAID, surgical tape and/or athletic tape (athletic tape tends to stick better, especially in wet/sweaty conditions, though mind the hair when removing--y'ouch! And as always, NEVER wrap tightly or you will impede blood flow and do more damage than good). At medical supply shops you can get small, single-shot packets of betadine gel, an excellent antiseptic, and carry a small tube of triple antibiotic ointment. I also recommend you ditch the small scissors and buy a pair of EMT scissors (about $8)--they cut through *anything*, including ski boots, and you never know when you'll need to cut a boot off to avoid damage from pulling. I also highly recommend moleskin--it has a million uses, like duct tape for your skin. If you need a sealed bandage, make a small pad out of gauze, cover the wound with triple antibiotic ointment, and cover the whole thing with moleskin--it will hold for a couple of days or more, and does a good job of keeping other junk out. For OTC stuff, I recommend benadryl, immodium, Tylenol (better as a fever reducer than NSAIDs), zantac or pepcid (for those roadside burritos.... mmmmmmm burritos), and melatonin (for sleep, like when you're camping in a stupid Harley resort and the drunk idiots won't let you sleep. And a train that goes by at 2:00am every night. Don't ask <_< ). And if you don't have any first aid training, I recommend a small emergency guide or flash-card pack to walk you through the basics.

I also would avoid using a tourniquet if you are not trained--again, you can do more damage than good. Almost all wounds are better treated with firm (sometimes *very* firm) direct pressure; if you're not careful to periodically release a tourniquet for a specified period of time you will make things much, MUCH worse. Trained paramedics virtually never use them, and you shouldn't either except in the rarest of circumstances--and if you can't distinguish which circumstances warrent one, think twice before using it.

[/soapbox] :D

If I'm travelling with a group I also carry baby aspirin, in case someone I'm riding with has a heart attack. Sounds silly, but the first, best thing you can do to someone you believe is having an MI is administer baby aspirin (no advantage to stronger aspirin, and more side effects), then call 911 and provide emergency cpr as needed. I also carry a small cpr barrier; they're cheap, and protect you and the victim from communicable disease-sharing. A couple of chemical cold-packs (available at Walgreen's) are a must on group trips; if I have the room, I'll carry one on a solo trip as well. Finally, I'll carry a portable splint, also available from medical supply shops. It rolls down fairly small, but can be shaped as needed to provide splinting around joints. But that's a holdover from my backpacking kit, and if I'm going to isolated regions (even on the bike) I still carry it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a physician, I pack a fairly heavy amount of medical gear on a trip. In general I agree with the above posts; gauze roll or 2x2 or 4x4 pads, bandaids, NSAID, surgical tape and/or athletic tape (athletic tape tends to stick better, especially in wet/sweaty conditions, though mind the hair when removing--y'ouch! And as always, NEVER wrap tightly or you will impede blood flow and do more damage than good). At medical supply shops you can get small, single-shot packets of betadine gel, an excellent antiseptic, and carry a small tube of triple antibiotic ointment. I also recommend you ditch the small scissors and buy a pair of EMT scissors (about $8)--they cut through *anything*, including ski boots, and you never know when you'll need to cut a boot off to avoid damage from pulling. I also highly recommend moleskin--it has a million uses, like duct tape for your skin. If you need a sealed bandage, make a small pad out of gauze, cover the wound with triple antibiotic ointment, and cover the whole thing with moleskin--it will hold for a couple of days or more, and does a good job of keeping other junk out. For OTC stuff, I recommend benadryl, immodium, Tylenol (better as a fever reducer than NSAIDs), zantac or pepcid (for those roadside burritos.... mmmmmmm burritos), and melatonin (for sleep, like when you're camping in a stupid Harley resort and the drunk idiots won't let you sleep. And a train that goes by at 2:00am every night. Don't ask <_< ). And if you don't have any first aid training, I recommend a small emergency guide or flash-card pack to walk you through the basics.
I also would avoid using a tourniquet if you are not trained--again, you can do more damage than good. Almost all wounds are better treated with firm (sometimes *very* firm) direct pressure; if you're not careful to periodically release a tourniquet for a specified period of time you will make things much, MUCH worse. Trained paramedics virtually never use them, and you shouldn't either except in the rarest of circumstances--and if you can't distinguish which circumstances warrent one, think twice before using it.

If I'm travelling with a group I also carry baby aspirin, in case someone I'm riding with has a heart attack. Sounds silly, but the first, best thing you can do to someone you believe is having an MI is administer baby aspirin (no advantage to stronger aspirin, and more side effects), then call 911 and provide emergency cpr as needed. I also carry a small cpr barrier; they're cheap, and protect you and the victim from communicable disease-sharing. A couple of chemical cold-packs (available at Walgreen's) are a must on group trips; if I have the room, I'll carry one on a solo trip as well. Finally, I'll carry a portable splint, also available from medical supply shops. It rolls down fairly small, but can be shaped as needed to provide splinting around joints. But that's a holdover from my backpacking kit, and if I'm going to isolated regions (even on the bike) I still carry it.
Are you pulling a trailer?....where do you put your & the SO's things....(we all know they like to bring the kitchen sink)....

I just bring a bandana....red in color....cheap, light weight....and people know which motorcycle club I support.

quote name='mindtrip' date='Jun 12 2006, 10:49 PM' post='111479']

Not for me to question a physician, though I often do :D .....IMHO this is overkill. Talk to your doctor before bringing a lot of meds. I think the original question was for a LIGHT aid pack. My thoughts were more along the lines of waiting 20 minutes for an EMT, not to be one. The ASA is good for strokes too, but be careful -- I'm allergic to it and it closes my airway pretty quickly, for example. Benadryl can raise blood pressure......you get the idea. And meds don't have a long shelf life under a seat on a hot bike. Get CPR certified, it may save a life, and can be as handy as an experienced riding course. My basic assumption is you won't be adventure touring. Take a cell phone. Better scissors are nice, but a good leatherman will do.

Good points though. Depends on how much you want.

I just bring a bandana....red in color....cheap, light weight....and people know which motorcycle club I support.
You can always do what I did ODOT --

Ignore the pain of a broken collar bone and road rash, not feel the compressed disks in my neck and ride the bike ten miles home :blink: THEN go to the ER.........not smart but ......... didn't even bother with the bandana. Did need help lifting the bike back up. :dribble:

Shock makes for bad decisions.

"Shock" also helps people do what they do when they are in tight situations. Just what you did. If you wanted to live....would you cut off your arm with a leatherman and walk home?

Probably about I would take with a few little exceptions, Speaking as a Clinical Paramedic maybe you could add:

Sheers as stated cut through anything

Large combine gauze pads can be cut down to size

Medium simple bandages can also be cut down to size & some heavy duty compression bandages at least x3

18g cannulas for those pesky little or big splinters etc

Saline tubes or small bottles

Small LED torch

Note pad and pen (You would be surprised!)

Suture kit and suture cutter (you never know)

Excellent advice on the Tourniquet, best advice is if you have no other way of stopping the severe haemorrhaging (This is your last resort and is rarely used in the field these days) IF YOUR NOT SUE HOW TO APPLY AND CONTROL THEM SEEK TRAINING IN THEM.

Large and small tigaderm or Op sites for covering those graveled rashed areas after they have been cleaned betadine applied.

I know sounds a lot but its not really.

Damn...now I really do have to buy a trailer for my scoot.
Well, you could always just "rub some dirt in it, get up, and move on!" :D

My kit actually compresses pretty small, even with the shears. The bulkiest bits are the splint and the cold packs, and I don't always carry the cold packs (though the splint either rolls up or lays flat and takes almost no room when flat). The rest of it I keep in a small, zippered bag no bigger than my SO's toilettry kit (about 5" x 3" x 8" if stuffed full). You can always go smaller, and in turn be able to deal with less stuff. The choice is yours. But if I were you I would never go on a trip without at least tape, antiseptic, shears, gauze, moleskin, NSAIDs, tweezers (either surgical pickups or a good set of sharp-tipped backpacking tweezers), and some bandaids. For most people, that will cover about all the circumstances they can handle. And I would still advise shears; a leatherman *can* do in a pinch, but you risk serious damage if you're cutting on your own boot (let's face it, you'll hardly be at your best and most careful if you're having to cut off your own boot) and serious liability if you're cutting off someone else's boot and the blade slips.

Oh, and if you're allergic to something, don't take it--duh. Unless you're odot. Then take 2. :D

Sorry, mind.....stopped taking rufies a long time ago.....lolol...yeah....bad week to get off of them.

I have a first aid kit that I take on hunting trips that always includes a package of QuickClot. I always end up giving a kit to the guides for them to have, just in case something goes really wrong in the boonies.

It's a small package of powder, that has a pretty long shelf life and may keep you from bleeding to death in a severe trauma case. While most bike accident bleeding is of the road rash variety, a serious get off/collission may involve much more serious bleeding.

https://www.ele.uri.edu/Courses/ele382/F04/David_2.pdf

https://www.donrearic.com/firstaidkit.html

Wow. Sounds like I shouldn't bother with a first-aid kit, and just bring a physician instead. :D

Better yet how about an ambulance as a chase vehicle.....now there's a real comforting thought :blink: ....

untitled7.jpg

:D