First Aid Kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
untitled7.jpg

:D
+1 :D

Hello All

Mindtrip very nice kit you have assembled and a wealth of practical information, being a paramedic I tend to pack a few odds and ends also, one item I think is great for many uses is a bandage wrap called Coban it is a wrap that is compressive and works great for bandaging or splinting an injury, it adhears to itself and is easy to use and doesnt take up to much room

Hello AllMindtrip very nice kit you have assembled and a wealth of practical information, being a paramedic I tend to pack a few odds and ends also, one item I think is great for many uses is a bandage wrap called Coban it is a wrap that is compressive and works great for bandaging or splinting an injury, it adhears to itself and is easy to use and doesnt take up to much room
+1 As a Chiropractor I always think of Practical help and Mindtrip has it right. I keep a Traumma kit in the right hard bag on the FJR always. CUZ YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU'LL NEED IT. Good idea on the Splint too. B)

I'd be careful about w/ the quickclot stuff. We were trying to let our PMD allow it on our ambulances and they said no due to it a) being potato based(allergic reactions) and B) supposedly can really screw up the surrounding tissues. Also, that barrier device will come in handy not just for communicable disease but when an untrained person tries m2m resuscitation they don't always position the airway w/ head tilt/chin lift manuever thus allowing air into the stomach,which can only hold a finite amonunt of air before venting back through the esophagus. Trust me I've seen it a ton of times where a "do-gooder" decides to save the world w/o ANY idea of what they're doing and end up coming w/ us to the hospital for an exposure :dribble: . Sorry butwe just laugh at them usually,especially when their "chest compressions" are practically on the pt's throat.

Also,if you're w/ a group try to find out what allergies your mates may have,especially bee sting allergies,first reactions are usually mild to bad,second reactions ie; second incidents can become life threatening in a hurry so make sure you know where they keep they're epi-pen or whatever they use,and if they don't have anything STRONGLY encourage them to do so. If you've never see terror in someone's eyes wait until their airway closes slowly w/ nobody able to do anything, I've actually got the pleasure of slicing a throat open for just that reason,his airway was sooooo tight I wouldn't have been able to slide hair in there!

Just my 6cents(adjusted for inflation) :D

Simple addition to anyone's kit.....cut the fingers off of a surgical glove or just add a glove to the kit. Everytimg I cut my finger the difficulty with keeping it dry and clean seems to triple the healing time. Bandaids always fell off inside my gloves and/or got wet with hand washing or such. Just roll up the finger of the surgical glove and roll it over the cut finger like a condom and it stays nice and clean and dry and the bandaid stays in place. Healing time is reduced immensely in my experience. It is also surprising how well it works at protecting the cut from further abrasion and being pulled back open as it heals. Works whether on the bike or not. Just having the little "cut condoms" in your emergency kit (first aid or tool....) is as helpful as the bandaids.

I KNOW these work because I seem to be constantly nursing one cut or another....LOL.

I just grabbed the sport rider kit from Aerostich. It has a nice selection.

The one thing I had to add is also the one thing I didn't see mentioned here -- and also the one thing I've needed to use:

Bee sting stuff.

Get it.

And you don't need to ask how I know. :glare:

Assorted bandaids (I like the heavy duty fabric kind) and a leatherman tool. That's pretty much it. If you want a cheap trauma kit add kotex pads, tube socks, and duct tape. I learned that in EMT school :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate this thread. I went out yesterday and put a kit together. Should have done this a year ago!

where can i buy sutures?

never know, last time on a hiking trip -- had to sew up a cut with some dental floss and a regular sewing needle - worked ok until i could get off the trail and see a MD, he left it alone, and said take the dental floss out in a week -- heeled ok..

I'd rather have something more suited to sewing up a gash in an emergency -- any ideas or recommendations? is there any adhesive tape that could work instead?

where can i buy sutures?
never know, last time on a hiking trip -- had to sew up a cut with some dental floss and a regular sewing needle - worked ok until i could get off the trail and see a MD, he left it alone, and said take the dental floss out in a week -- heeled ok..

I'd rather have something more suited to sewing up a gash in an emergency -- any ideas or recommendations? is there any adhesive tape that could work instead?
Ok I'll be the first to call Bullshit here :lol:

But if you really want to get sutures, try any surgical supply company. You can practice on a grapefruit and remember, you can't buy nerve blockers without a license though you might get lucky at a vet supply house where, by the way, you can get most of your antibiotics. Go for the swine stuff. Dosages and formulations are very close to humans. Hope this helps Rambo :D

To answer you other question, duct tape works really good in the field for big gushers.

Does it feel weird in here or is it just me? :ph34r:

But if you really want to get sutures, try any surgical supply company.
call it what you like, think BS if you want. no rambo here, just rather have stuff and not need it than to improvise. like having a tire repair kit -- not planning on having a flat, but feel more comfortable knowing i've got my bases covered.

thanks for the link, didn't realize how expensive they are ($162 or more for most). I think I'll look for an alternative like dermabond steri-strips or something.

Dermabond Clicky $46

Steri Strips Clicky $5

But if you really want to get sutures, try any surgical supply company.
call it what you like, think BS if you want. no rambo here, just rather have stuff and not need it than to improvise. like having a tire repair kit -- not planning on having a flat, but feel more comfortable knowing i've got my bases covered.

thanks for the link, didn't realize how expensive they are ($162 or more for most). I think I'll look for an alternative like dermabond steri-strips or something.

Dermabond Clicky $46

Steri Strips Clicky $5
Again, think Vet Supplies for all your low cost field stuff :good:

From my sad experiences as a (road) bicycle racer I learned the BEST treatment for road rash. DuoDERM, which is a medicated pad that is applied over the road rash. The 4" pads are what I've used and I would also get some tubular gauze which would go around the arm or leg and hold it on securely. The pads are kind of expensive if bought outright, but totally worth it. After crashing on the bicycle, I've used this and it keeps the wound from scabbing and allows it to heal faster and there is no scarring. I can't say enough good things about DuoDERM except I wish I never had to need it.

One more item to add to the already giant kit is a bottle of charcoal tablets. They are available at any health food or vitamin store. Excellent remedy for food poisoning which can often happen when eating on the road. At the first hint of any food poisoning symptoms start taking the charcoal tablets. I have found them to be very effective in the past and always carry them on trips anywhere whether motorcycle or not. I found this out from one of my military buddies. Charcoal tablets are a common item in their travel kits when deploying abroad.

I do appreciate this thread. I went out last Fri and put together a kit that I stuck in a plastic bag and now carry in my sidebag. For those still looking for "stuff," I suggest you look at bicycle shops. They usually have kits for road rash. Anyone know where I can get a portable heart-lung machine that'll fit in a side bag!?