First Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRunyan

Reaction score
Just returned from a BEAUTIFUL three day, 1000 mile ride that included about 200 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway. To anyone considering a BRP trip: DO IT!! Very few cars, pristine roadway, awe-inspiring scenery and no commercial vehicles. I could ride this road every day and not get bored. We picked the BRP up just outside of Asheville (heading North) and got off on the other side of the VA border. (From what I've been told, the section of the BRP South of Asheville is supposed to be even better, but having done the Dragon and surrounding roads last year, we wanted to try a different area). The bike performed flawlessly. On that note, I have to throw in a BIG thumbs up for the new Avons!! DAYUM, what a great set of tires!! It was like riding on much more "nimble" bike.

The only down side of the whole trip was witnessing a two-up Harley get target fixation on a guard rail while going into a left hander. It was as though he never even saw the curve in the road, he just went right into the rail at about 40 mph. The captain only hurt his pride and wallet, but his elderly passenger really got banged up. They are only alive because of the guard rail, though -- the drop off on the other side was about 100'.

I'd post some pics from the trip, but they are really large (7.2 megapixle) and, frankly, I don't know how.

Great road/Great trip/Great bike!!!!

If you get another pass thru this area try staying on parkway north on up to the Shenandoah valley. Great scenery all the way.

sjarr7: Thanks! (...but what's with this "if you get another chance..."? After being there, I can't imagine anyone not returning!)

sjarr7: am planning a weekend trip on BRP in another week - live in virginia beach area and we were thinking doing the roads between fredericksburg and charlottesville area. have you done this part of the parkway? any thoughts? thanks, jay

Well, we tried. Left Virgina Beach on Friday morning and headed to Skyline Drive ( in heavy mist and wet roads) only to get there and find 2 feet visibility due to heavy fog -- have to take alternate route which was ok. Next day no change -- entire Blue Ridge Parkway covered with fog. Take some alternate routes -- nice twisties and then back home to Virgina Beach. All in all -- 600 miles in 2 days. The Feejar was excellent -- but, no Blue Ridge Parkway experience. Next year........ :( Went with a friend (from Sweeden) on a 02 Gold Wing. He loved the FJR :clap:

jaybird,,

I live in Roanoke,,just off the Parkway,,any time you come this way give me a holla,, I'll take you over some roads you will love ,, I am on the Parkway often ,, and come your way going to the Outer Banks ,,

about the fog ,, it looks bad in higher elevations but you will run out of it ,, it gives you some spectacular views ,, mist in the valleys ,,sun cutting through ,, and no cages ,,

I would have to give a fat :D to the Parkway too. I was lucky enough to ride it summer of '04 and my god, I am certainly going back. I think the BRP was designed for scooters!

Peace.

Josh from MN

galaxy5: I'm guessing you know about that 15 or so mile stretch of Route 80 running East off of the BRP (around Buck Creek Gap) into Marion? If it weren't for the BRP scenery, that little stretch had to be the best road we were on. It was like the Dragon without cars!! (Went down, had so much fun, I went right back up again).

Dear God, please let this be a short Winter...

Thanks Galaxy5 -- hope to get back to BRP in spring -- all reports suggest its a great ride and worth the 4 hour trek (for me). I was severly disappointed we couldn't ride it this time -- however it was still a great 2-day excursion. And the ride down Afton Mountain was worth the entire trip. The ride back on 460, while mundane, was still good riding (and beats being at work.... :D ).

Now, also praying for a brief (and not too cold) winter..... Jay

galaxy5: I'm guessing you know about that 15 or so mile stretch of Route 80 running East off of the BRP (around Buck Creek Gap) into Marion? If it weren't for the BRP scenery, that little stretch had to be the best road we were on. It was like the Dragon without cars!! (Went down, had so much fun, I went right back up again).
CRAP!!! Now everyone will know about one of my VERY favorite roads! My parents used to have a camper at the "Triple C Campground". First time I went up there I made a mental note to visit the road on two wheels...VERY NICE!

PICT2092.jpg

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/Ratchman/PICT2087.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ratchman: :oops: (Well, it is only ONE road...one, really, really, fun [formerly uncongested] road...) Just had to share it with my fellow riders!!

Rode to Newland, NC yesterday (10/26) and then hopped on the BRP for a ride up to Blowing Rock. It was a little chilly...bank thermometer in Newland said "38" at noon-thirty. And, I was surprised at the amount of snow on tops on the mountains around Grandfather Mountain and on the shady side of the BRP. A fellow traveler said the BRP around Mt. Mitchell was closed due to snow but since I didn't ride that section, I can't confirm that.

All in all, a nice ride.

Here's one pic along the BRP yesterday...

BRP.jpg

Ratchman:  :oops:   (Well, it is only ONE road...one, really, really, fun [formerly uncongested] road...)  Just had to share it with my fellow riders!!
TheRunyan: I'm joking of course. But man, is this a GREAT state for riding or what!?! There are many many roads I have yet to ride that are way better. The roads around Jefferson/West Jefferson are great as well. But then so are the ones between Mooresville (my home) and Jefferson!!! There are so many forum members in this area that it's a matter of time before we meet by chance. Seems we all know where the best roads/rides are. ;

Rode to Newland, NC yesterday (10/26) and then hopped on the BRP for a ride up to Blowing Rock.  It was a little chilly...bank thermometer in Newland said "38" at noon-thirty.  And, I was surprised at the amount of snow on tops on the mountains around Grandfather Mountain and on the shady side of the BRP.  A fellow traveler said the BRP around Mt. Mitchell was closed due to snow but since I didn't ride that section, I can't confirm that.
All in all, a nice ride. 

Here's one pic along the BRP yesterday...

BRP.jpg
Brazos Parker

I don't get to see the mountains often enough. I mostly commute on my bike, but when I do get to the mountains...WOOHOO! Pretty gutsy move coming across to the BRP after this week's snow. ;) I am always afraid the next curve is the one with the black ice. Anyway, I believe the BRP to be one of the finest rides in America. No commercial traffic, smooth curvy road, beautiful views, great fresh air! And, you are never more that 15 minutes from a town large enough sell you another tire or whatever. So, I say thanks to FDR and the Civillian Conservation Corps for this fine, fine road. The Feds. actually "took" part of my family's land in Glandale Springs to build a stretch of the road...can't think of a better use... :drinks:

Wel guys now you've got me reminising and drooling. I lived in Williamsberg for a while in the early '70s. Unfortunatly I didn't see much of the country. To busy chasing skirts at the time. Riding a 1950 R51/2 BMW. Some days I think moving home to CA was a serious error of judgment. Ah well. One of thease days I'll get back there for a week or two and see what is left of what I should have seen before. Thanks for the remider guys. Another great area to look foreward to exploring.

Hey,,

There are some very hot roads in my area ,,

anyone comming this way ,,just give me a holla and I will give you directions (or I would be happy to meet you) to some twisting rollercoaster rides to hook up on,, some loops from the BRP that will make you smile ,,

While I live in Jacksonville, FL, I spend about 4 or 5 months each year at my mountain house between Boone and Blowing Rock, NC. I've covered the Blue Ridge Parkway from one end to the other twice ( including the Skyline Drive ), and have ridden sections of the Parkway more times than I can count. I never tire of this fabulous road. The whole region up there in the " high country " including NC, TN, and the Virginia's is so full of magnificent rides that it's hard to pick a favorite. I'm in the process of putting together my own guide to this area and when I'm done I'll make it available for downloading. I'm also having a vehicle " barn " built on my property that will contain a bunkhouse area able to house up to eight bikers and all their gear. When this project is completed, I'll open the doors to fellow bikers when I'm in residence there. First come, first served....no charge to you. Probably have to put a 3 or 4 day maximum stay per individual. We'll see. I'll holler when it's ready.