First Contact

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
I recently purchased & installed a WynPro "Big Foot" kickstand mount and since I have a 300' long gravel driveway it's really been nice to have on the bike! :clapping: It does a great job of allowing you to park on gravel, dirt or 120 degree blacktop without worrying about your bike falling over. :yahoo:

That being said I discovered something yesterday on a spirited ride in the mountain twisties. That being that the extra thickness of the Big Foot mount on your kickstand apparently makes contact with the road BEFORE your peg feelers on hard left curves. It happened a handful of times to me yesterday. I looked down under my bike a few times trying to figure out what was scrapping because I could tell it wasn't my footpegs. I assumed it was probably my center stand but the peg feelers should hit first. Then I noticed the marks on the Big Foot.

Yesterdays Ride Setup:

- Front Suspension: 2-1/2 rings showing

- Rear Suspension: 16,000 miles on OEM shock with 8 extra clicks for more stiffness

- Rear Suspension: Firm mode

- Gear: Saddlebags left OFF and top case only with very light daytrip gear

- Riders: 2up - 325 lbs total combined weight

I'm curious if this will happen to me on solo rides? My theory is that it won't make much of a difference because the kickstand is mounted to the bike frame and it sets only a couple inches behind my footpegs and well in front of the Pillion's weight on the rear of the bike. It's funny how just an extra 1/4" - 3/8" of thickness on the kickstand by the Big Foot changes what makes contact with the road.

Conclusion:

My whole point of this thread is only to make others aware that it might happen to them. If you make contact with the road and it doesn't seem like it's your pegs, obviously check your feelers first, if they're clean check your Big Foot mount. Again I'm still happy with the mount and I guess it will just have to get scrapped. If you have aftermarket pipes 08FJR4ME makes a thinner side of the mount where it makes contact with your pipes. Perhaps you can request or see if he would be willing to do the same thing on BOTH sides of the mount to reduce the amount of extra material on the side that would potentially make contact with the road?

WynPro3.jpg

WynPro2.jpg

WynPro1.jpg

Your peg feeler is worn down a bit. Get a new one and it might hit before your sidestand.

I don't have the WynPro big foot on my Gen I but the sidestand is the 2nd thing to scrape after the peg feeler on my bike. I have only barely hit it a couple of times. Now I do have a custom suspension which gives me more ground clearance, and also am running a car tire which also gives me more ground clearance.

An aftermarket shock may be in order for you if you want to consistently hit those lean angles. I mean, your FJR is about 8 years old. How many miles? That stock shock, which was under sprung to begin with, is most likely fairly tired. Especially for two up and the way you ride.

And yes, riding two up decreases your ground clearance. Especially on that old worn OEM shock. Not only will it be harder to scrape any part solo, but I would say that it is probable the peg feeler will scrape first. But maybe not with that WynPro Big Foot on there.

I can't tell for sure by the pic's. but is the big foot making contact with the aftermarket exhaust still? If so then maybe your stand isn't going back as far as it should be. The good news is it is still there and you also. I don't think I am any slouch pushing the limits even two up. I am sure some folks will attest to that. I have yet to hit my big foot. As much as I hate to say it my poundage exceeds what you have stated two up. I have stock shocks and have pretty much the exact settings that you mentioned. I guess it is not a bad thing to make some folks aware of the situation but in general the majority will be o.k. with it the way it is.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
An aftermarket shock may be in order for you if you want to consistently hit those lean angles. I mean, your FJR is about 8 years old. How many miles?
My plan is to get my money & life out of the OEM shock then when it's clear that it's life span is over I will definitely be upgrading the rear Suspension with a stiffer adjustable aftermarket shock for sure.

Yes the bike is an 05 and I purchased it 1 year ago. It only had 3,800 miles on it when I bought it Aug 2011 and it has 16,200 miles on it now. I plan on changing the rear shock by 30,000 miles or before.

I can't tell for sure by the pic's. but is the big foot making contact with the aftermarket exhaust still? If so then maybe your stand isn't going back as far as it should be. The good news is it is still there and you also. I don't think I am any slouch pushing the limits even two up. I am sure some folks will attest to that. I have yet to hit my big foot. As much as I hate to say it my poundage exceeds what you have stated two up. I have stock shocks and have pretty much the exact settings that you mentioned. I guess it is not a bad thing to make some folks aware of the situation but in general the majority will be o.k. with it the way it is.
No it's not making contact with the Two Brothers pipe, that part of it is fine. If I was to order another one I might request (if your ok with it) that you thin down both sides just to give a little more ground clearance.

From my bike's original owner. I am not a hooligan, nor do I live where the sides of the tires get very busy. :)

He hit the stock sidestand, so i'm not surprised a bigfoot touches down, even before the peg feeler.

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

Roller: Interesting that you got your 05 with 3800 miles last year. I bought my 05 with 3800 miles in late July of 2010. Imagine that. Anyway, you're grinding the pegs with 2 up? You must be some kinda driver, dude. Wow. That's a new one on me, though I suppose there are plenty on this forum that can do that as well. One easy solution: slap an Exalto on the bike. Skooter's right about the increased ground clearance; Talk about a cheap and easy way to increase ground clearance: You're passenger will like the extra comfort that tire provides as well. Much smoother over bumps.

Gary

darksider #44

One easy solution: slap an Exalto on the bike. Skooter's right about the increased ground clearance; Talk about a cheap and easy way to increase ground clearance: You're passenger will like the extra comfort that tire provides as well. Much smoother over bumps.
How much is an "Exalto"? I honestly don't know anything about them. I was thinking about an Ohlins replacement someday & those run over $500.00 for my bike. Didn't want to do that right now.

One easy solution: slap an Exalto on the bike. Skooter's right about the increased ground clearance; Talk about a cheap and easy way to increase ground clearance: You're passenger will like the extra comfort that tire provides as well. Much smoother over bumps.
How much is an "Exalto"? I honestly don't know anything about them. I was thinking about an Ohlins replacement someday & those run over $500.00 for my bike. Didn't want to do that right now.
An Exalto is a car tire. You gotta keep up with the jaclasses' slang around here. But, they are only like $130. Way cheaper than an Ohlins.

An Exalto is a car tire. You gotta keep up with the jaclasses' slang around here. But, they are only like $130. Way cheaper than an Ohlins.
Actually they are more like $165-$175. Still way cheaper than an Ohlins. I would like to know where to get an Ohlins for $500. That's what you would pay for a used one.

2008, one-up, stock suspension. After the footpeg feeler touches, on the left side, the edge of the stock sidestand flange (with no WynPro foot) is the first thing to hit, at least on mine. Scrapes obtained on Push Mountain Road in Arkansas and Mindoro Cut Road (Hwy 108) in Wisconsin. Not in a hurry to see what touches next. Pipe would be my guess.

$500 is the basic Ohlins shock for gen 1 which replaces one undersprung shock for another. Get the Ohlins for gen 2 and because you ride both solo and 2-up, the one with remote preload. It's over $1k and a mistake to not do the front suspension at the same time. Start saving up! :) You'll be rid of inconsequential peg scraping when you're not even pushing the bike all that hard.