First Contact

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much is an "Exalto"? I honestly don't know anything about them. I was thinking about an Ohlins replacement someday & those run over $500.00 for my bike. Didn't want to do that right now.
$500 is the basic Ohlins shock for gen 1 which replaces one undersprung shock for another. Get the Ohlins for gen 2 and because you ride both solo and 2-up, the one with remote preload. It's over $1k and a mistake to not do the front suspension at the same time. Start saving up! :) You'll be rid of inconsequential peg scraping when you're not even pushing the bike all that hard.
Ok thanks. I haven't researched it much so I was wondering why there was a $500 Ohlins setup and a $1000 Ohlins setup listed for the 05 FJR. Now I know. We'll I'm not spending that kind of coin anytime soon that much I know. I think I'll just scrape up the pegs & kickstand until the bike is bottoming out like a low ride custom hooptie from Compton, CA...then I'll upgrade the suspension. ;)

How much is an "Exalto"? I honestly don't know anything about them. I was thinking about an Ohlins replacement someday & those run over $500.00 for my bike. Didn't want to do that right now.
$500 is the basic Ohlins shock for gen 1 which replaces one undersprung shock for another. Get the Ohlins for gen 2 and because you ride both solo and 2-up, the one with remote preload. It's over $1k and a mistake to not do the front suspension at the same time. Start saving up! :) You'll be rid of inconsequential peg scraping when you're not even pushing the bike all that hard.
Ok thanks. I haven't researched it much so I was wondering why there was a $500 Ohlins setup and a $1000 Ohlins setup listed for the 05 FJR. Now I know. We'll I'm not spending that kind of coin anytime soon that much I know. I think I'll just scrape up the pegs & kickstand until the bike is bottoming out like a low ride custom hooptie from Compton, CA...then I'll upgrade the suspension. ;)
No, don't want either one listed for the 05. The springs are based on the gen 1 OEM springs - too weak. Ohlins for gen 2 is the ticket - they fit fine on gen 1. Understand about not wanting to spend that much money. It took me a while to bite the bullet though I'm way glad I did.

Ok thanks. I haven't researched it much so I was wondering why there was a $500 Ohlins setup and a $1000 Ohlins setup listed for the 05 FJR. Now I know. We'll I'm not spending that kind of coin anytime soon that much I know. I think I'll just scrape up the pegs & kickstand until the bike is bottoming out like a low ride custom hooptie from Compton, CA...then I'll upgrade the suspension. ;)You'll find out that upgrading your suspension is probably the best money you'll ever spend on that FJR. The factory suspension sucks. Your 16-k rear shock is probably a pogo stick right now. Also the front fork springs are also very cheesey. Since you've had your bike have you ever dumped the fork oil on the forks? If not go ahead now and upgrade the front springs at least, it's relatively cheap {around a hundred bucks and it's a maintenience thing you'll need to do probably this winter. If you keep your eyes open you can pick up a used wilburs or ohlins reasonably about half priced of a new one and have it rebuilt before you put it on your bike. In the mean time be careful riding 2 up on an undersprung worn out suspension.

You'll find out that upgrading your suspension is probably the best money you'll ever spend on that FJR. The factory suspension sucks. Your 16-k rear shock is probably a pogo stick right now. Also the front fork springs are also very cheesey. Since you've had your bike have you ever dumped the fork oil on the forks? If not go ahead now and upgrade the front springs at least, it's relatively cheap {around a hundred bucks and it's a maintenience thing you'll need to do probably this winter. If you keep your eyes open you can pick up a used wilburs or ohlins reasonably about half priced of a new one and have it rebuilt before you put it on your bike. In the mean time be careful riding 2 up on an undersprung worn out suspension.
No the OEM shock is nothing like a "pogo stick"! LOL. It actually feels really good still and I don't have an issue with the front forks either. The bike handles really well & tight in the curves. You can have the best front forks and the best aftermarket rear springs and if you lean the bike too far...guess what happens...you'll scrape something on it. In this case it's the BigFoot. However as others have posted even without the Bigfoot other riders are still scraping the kickstand very shortly after their peg feelers make contact. So I think it's just a lean angle limitation of the bike regardless of suspension. However I'm sure you can increase the lean angle clearance to a certain degree with stiffer/taller suspension...its just not gonna be a 100% cure all.

I think this winter I will change the front fork oil however and I'll look into upgrading those springs while I'm doing that & go from there.