First ever Gold Wing Air Deployment Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"the accident persuaded him to wear his helmet whenever he rides."

Until the next sunny day.
super_smilies007.gif

Is it just me???
Look again at the bike

600-bike.jpg

He did not hit shit very hard. All I see is a cracked fender. So needs a new fender and 1500 Dollars to repack his airbag. Porobably drive the thing home. "T Boned a car at what.. 3mph" :glare:
No, there appears to be a pinch more damage in addition to the cracked front fender.... it looks like there was impact damage to a good portion of the bodywork.

Look at the area below and aft of the left turn signal/mirror: you can see how the bodywork has buckled, resulting in a large open seam that I am pretty sure isn't factory...

And with the weight of the Goldwing, it will be almost certain to have bent the forks and maybe the neckstock. I hope the cager is well insured.

Is it just me???
Look again at the bike

600-bike.jpg

He did not hit shit very hard. All I see is a cracked fender. So needs a new fender and 1500 Dollars to repack his airbag. Porobably drive the thing home. "T Boned a car at what.. 3mph" :glare:
No, there appears to be a pinch more damage in addition to the cracked front fender.... it looks like there was impact damage to a good portion of the bodywork.

Look at the area below and aft of the left turn signal/mirror: you can see how the bodywork has buckled, resulting in a large open seam that I am pretty sure isn't factory...
That is a 1" or so wide snap on strip. It is removed to get to the screws and other stuff to remove the fairing. Pops right back on and is not a buckle (I had one and removed that several times to take my bike apart) Good eye tho

Everytime I see that pic, it appears he's not playing with the airbag, but unfolding a large document, like the Electrical Schematic for the Wing or sumpin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I am 39...I dont think I look that old...he doesn't look 40 to me.

Anywho, I now want an airbag IN ADDITION to a 6th gear on my '08 FJR!!! :****:

:)

Everytime I see that pic, it appears he's not playing with the airbag, but unfolding a large document, like the Electrical Schematic for the Wing or sumpin.
No, he's unfolding the lightweight, comfortable underpants he was wearing at the time of the collision. The lack of 'markings' show how calm and confident he was that the airbag would protect him. Ya gotta agree that pink is his color.

Jill

Have you ever seen the Gold Wing airbag inflated? I did in Popular Mechanics when if first came out.

It looks just like a big pair of pink ass-cheeks and guess where you are going....

It's like the Mother of all Atomic Situps....

That ride is close to totaled I'd bet. None of you commented on the fact that the front wheel is riding up against the crankcase. I wonder if it's just the downtubes or if the head is deformed.

Oh, yeah, just to keep it going, that guy's an idiot!

The rider did suffer damage as well, as you can plainly see he use to have a fore head but now is sporting a good 8 or 9 head demonstrated by the obvious receeding hair line. I know this from experience just don't ask me how I know....PM. <>< :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone seen or tried these?

Hit-Air Jacket

Last I heard the motorcops in Japan wear them.

Gunny to choices. The only person who should have the right to tell you to wear a helmet or seat belt is your mom. Me? I still do as my momma says. :rolleyes:

In order to get a feel for the ferociousness of the collision, you have to look at the whole picture. Sure, the bike doesn't look too bad. But it was obviously one violent wreck. In an instant, that collision aged the 40 year old rider about 20 years.

I've never seen Jap motocopswith the Hit Air Jackets.

I've also seen a demonstrator of the Air Jacket and don't want one. EVERY time you get on and off the bike you need to fasten/unfasten the tether. I think the annoyance factor would be HUGE and have no doubt that sooner or later I'd forget to untether before getting off the bike.

Besides, I not about to let a "friend" whizz by, reach over, and pull the cord!

Bob

I've never seen Jap motocopswith the Hit Air Jackets.I've also seen a demonstrator of the Air Jacket and don't want one. EVERY time you get on and off the bike you need to fasten/unfasten the tether. I think the annoyance factor would be HUGE and have no doubt that sooner or later I'd forget to untether before getting off the bike.

Besides, I not about to let a "friend" whizz by, reach over, and pull the cord!

Bob
I have been using the Hit-Air Jacket for 1 1/2 years literally on a daily basis. It simply does not "accidentally go off". And yes, the moto-cops in Japan and other areas in Europe are using these jackets. In addition, the moto-cops in Atlanta, GA are now using a similar product called the "Impact Jacket".

The jackets are a proven safety product and work as advertised. The tether requires between 40-70 ft. pounds of force to set off. You can not accidentally set it off - either yourself or from someone else pulling it. The first few days you use the jacket, if you start to get off the bike without unplugging the tether you will get a simple reminder tug. You would have to yank with a substantial quick force to set it off... As far as an annoynace factor it is absolutely nothing IMHO. Takes 1/2 a second to plug in and the same when you get off. I have personally tested the jacket myself and full inflation takes place in about 300 milliseconds. These jackets will offer significant protection in a get-off. Yes, 300 milliseconds is slower compared to a standard airbag, but even a partially inflated airbag in a jacket at the point of first impact is much better than nothing. If anyone is curious, I posted a video of my test inflation here:

https://www.briangorrell.com/hitair.htm

Thanks,

Brian

That is pretty cool, Brian. Where do you get those jackets, and how much $?
-BD
Looks like you can get them from here Click

Also looks like $700 bones for the model he has.

I haven't seen this brand in particular but have seen other similar items at the motorcycle shows.

Interesting, and probably helpful...

That is pretty cool, Brian. Where do you get those jackets, and how much $$?
-BD
The best place to buy the Hit-Air Jackets here in the United States is from a man named Rueben Jackson. He owns a company in Atlanta called Bike Bone. They sell a lot of security type devices for motorcycles and he also (to my current knowledge) is one of only a few distributors of the Hit-Air jackets.

Here is his website:

https://www.bikebone.com/

The 'MS' model of the Hit-Air Jacket I own is normally $500 and I just looked at his website and see a summer clearance amount of 1/2 price! The price is typically between $400-700... I would assume the jackets have not sold as well as he would have hoped this year - probably because people's initial knee jerk reaction is usually to criticize something they know nothing about... I firmly believe these jackets have the potential save lives and prevent serious injuries. I personally can't imagine riding without mine.

I certainly don't advocate the government or anyone else telling motorcyclists what safety gear they should or shouldn't use - I think we are all intelligent enough to make our own decisions!

- Brian

This thread reminds me of Kenny Roberts taking heat from race promoters after attempting to organize riders into a union to promote safe track venues.

Someone said words to effect of 'your are a sissy, KR, real men ride real tracks' and KR responded with WTEO 'if I could make every track out of marshmellows, I would'...

Same idea here.. I personally think the air bag thing just might work.

just like all you naysayers were fretting about 06 ABS interlocked brakes and wanting to de-couple them..

...and full face helmets..

.....and leathers

........ and so on and so forth

I mean, come on guys, if technology has the capability of saving your ass from injury and dying, then why not ATGATT including the soda mickle?