First Farkel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice sleeper in the PT cruiser! How does she handle at speed? I drove one a few years back and the handling scared me a bit.

Back on point... Do you remember the bolt details you used on the horn mount? I want to pull those crap 4mm hex out soon.

Nice sleeper in the PT cruiser! How does she handle at speed? I drove one a few years back and the handling scared me a bit.
Back on point... Do you remember the bolt details you used on the horn mount? I want to pull those crap 4mm hex out soon.
Well I lowered her with Eibach springs, and have Konies on all four corners so she is on rails. Also have a rear sway bar and lot of Urethane Bushings on her so she is pretty tight.

On the bolts no I don't I am sorry. I have two big coffee cans, one SAE and one Metric and they came out of the metric one. They are a 10mm cap but I am not sure of size and thread. I use ACE Hardware as they have a great selection of stuff. Not sure if they are all over though. A Home Depot probably would work also. Sorry cant be of more help.

Just an FYI if you regarding the sliders...

When the FJR tips over - the sliders will protect the tupperware nicely, but it won't stop the bottoms of the bags from getting scratched.

A nice piece of rubber tape or something will save you there.... I wish I knew that before, I would have thought the reflectors would have taken the brunt of the damage, but they don't.... Just about everyone at sometime will join the drop club...

yamaha_fjr_1300_a_2004_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting the minor differences in the '10 model. I wouldn't have guessed there would be any differences.

Yes I knew that the bags are vulnerable also. I was looking at clear or reflective to try and do something preemptive. I do have a slight advantage as I am coming off the BMW LT which will take a nap in a heartbeat. It is VERY heavy, and VERY top heavy. I will just be as attentive as I had to be on the LT. Head up, wheel strait, at stops. Don't stab the front brake in slow speed maneuvers.

Today is Sunday the day of rest for sure.

This is 9 weeks on the mend on this wrist. When they repaired it they also did a carpal tunnel surgery as bonus. So not only 7 screws and a plate, a carpal surgery to boot.

arm%20sore.jpg

Besides I looked at the Boss and here is what I saw

oscar%20out.jpg

Tomorrow is cat scan then Neurosurgeon to read it and let me know where C1 and C2 are in the healing process.

Yes I knew that the bags are vulnerable also. I was looking at clear or reflective to try and do something preemptive. I do have a slight advantage as I am coming off the BMW LT which will take a nap in a heartbeat. It is VERY heavy, and VERY top heavy. I will just be as attentive as I had to be on the LT. Head up, wheel strait, at stops. Don't stab the front brake in slow speed maneuvers.

The problem I had was when I was stopped, and either didn't have the kickstand extended all the way and it buckled or My footing was compromised by sand or gravel. :(

Helmet Lock Bracket - https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=2399

Also, I love my Highway pegs, but I think you have to drill holes in your tupperware, unlike the Real Mans Gen I FJR :D

https://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/fjr.html

https://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/FJR1300/highway-pegs.jpg

Heehheheh

So many Farkels - So little time.... :)

The problem I had was when I was stopped, and either didn't have the kickstand extended all the way and it buckled or My footing was compromised by sand or gravel. :(

Helmet Lock Bracket - https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=2399

Also, I love my Highway pegs, but I think you have to drill holes in your tupperware, unlike the Real Mans Gen I FJR :D

https://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/fjr.html

https://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/FJR1300/highway-pegs.jpg

Heehheheh

So many Farkels - So little time.... :)
Have the highway pegs covered. Helmet lock, well the Givi should hold it fine.

Yep so many farkels, so many recommendations, so little money.

So moving along on the wiring aspect of the bike.

I got my Moto Light on. Not hot or aimed but on.

moto%20lights.jpg

Finding running wires to be fun and challenging on the FJR.

frame%20tunnel.jpg

Lots of wires running back to the Fuze Block.

lot%20of%20wires.jpg

Need to get these all covered, extended, labeled, and wired up

need%20terminated.jpg

So the cockpit is taking shape slowly.

start%20of%20the%20cockpit.jpg

The GPS mount and the 660 GPS were the only things that survived the LT total. They needed to go on this bike as my Talisman.

Wiring is my nemesis so need to take my time and make sure all is correct and run neatly. Going to wire loom the whole bundle as soon as I get everything heading where I need it. And I must say the Garmin 660 power cord is a PITA to say the least. It incorporates all the former on board plugs of the 2820 into the cord. Making it a four pigtail cord with all the transition connections. It is a lot of cord for 2 little skinny wires for power and ground. I guess less plugs on the unit make it more weather resistant.

Making progress slowly but surely.

That's one well farkled zero mile Feej!
Yes and your hand was in my wallet for those PIAA horns you just had to make sure I saw. You even provided a link to the sale item. Then you made sure to tell me how easy they are to install while the bike is apart :D

Still got miles to go. Finish wiring that is in, then AdMore/Givi/Bracket install and wiring. Highway pegs, ThrottleMeister, maybe a set of Yamaha heated grips, and then get her all buttoned up.

You just gota stop posting those baaaad links to spending money and twisting my arm so hard, after all I am a gimp.

Yes and your hand was in my wallet for those PIAA horns you just had to make sure I saw. You even provided a link to the sale item. Then you made sure to tell me how easy they are to install while the bike is apart :D

Still got miles to go. Finish wiring that is in, then AdMore/Givi/Bracket install and wiring. Highway pegs, ThrottleMeister, maybe a set of Yamaha heated grips, and then get her all buttoned up.

You just gota stop posting those baaaad links to spending money and twisting my arm so hard, after all I am a gimp.
In my defense... I was one of the first telling you to slow your roll with the farkles! When It was evident you were not going to listen, I figured I'd help you spend. Same evening I installed my horns I saw the pic of yours without tupperware, and thought I much easier that would have made the install.

How long till your riding?

In my defense... I was one of the first telling you to slow your roll with the farkles! When It was evident you were not going to listen, I figured I'd help you spend. Same evening I installed my horns I saw the pic of yours without tupperware, and thought I much easier that would have made the install.

How long till your riding?
Yes I could not slow my roll, I have a problem. There, isn't that the first step, admitting you have a problem?

You are correct though while it was apart it was totally easy to do.

Well not sure on riding. The cat scan stilled showed separation so I still have the collar for 5 weeks yet. Little depressed but I need to listen to them after all it is my neck/head on the line.

Well I am tired of doing this by now.

tank%20up.jpg

So I needed to get my but in gear. Again I have to say the Garmin 660 power/mic/headphone cord is a pain in the ass. As you can see here this is the first lump you need to deal with and throws any hope of a clean wiring job out the window. Note it in the upper right side over the head that is all Garmin. I tried to protect everything as well as I could. Anything I ran is 10G wire and all wire is in the heat sleeves that I could get in. I also am a soldering fool. I know guys don't like it, but using a good electronic solder, shrink wrap, and electrical tape has never let me down. My bike, my way.

wire%20over%20head.jpg

So after fussing a lot I got all where I wanted it.

heat%20shield%20on.jpg

It all pukes out center of tank with the PCV. That is the relay for the Moto Lights sitting there and going to have to be it's home. 1 leg of that goes to the switch up front.

pcv.jpg

So I end up with everything running down the right side. Man wires accumulate very quickly.

wires%20to%20back.jpg

So today I did the tap for the AddMore LED kit for the Givi from the mid left side where there is all the room a gimp needs to work. I also did "The Barbarian Jumper Mod" while I was there. Have had no time to mess with it yet. No pics on that but here is where I am at this point.

work%20to%20be%20done.jpg

I did fire the bike up until the fans came on today to make sure the fans worked after installing spider bite prevention, and all the other stuff I have been doing. I used dielectric on every connection I made and any one I came to and could get apart.

I need to figure out if it is a 1/4 turn, or a push center pin holding the engine heat shield on and stick that in before I forget. I should be done under it. Will start tinning wires and hooking up and labeling stuff tomorrow.

Well I have been a bit slow in getting stuff done but I am coming down the home stretch.

Well I would be if I would stop getting great deals on Farkels. I had not planned an exhaust swap and it was not in the budget, but a deal is a deal. I got these to my door for 300.00 so I could not say no.

new%20and%20old%20cans.jpg

And then from the side.

side%20of%20new%20can.jpg

Finally got all my wiring done. You can see the FuzeBlock in this pic of the back of the Givi I mounted today. I am pretty pleased they way the wiring turned out and the case I really like of course.

back%20of%20case.jpg

Here is the case from the back.

top%20case%20rear.jpg

And this is the Givi lite up with the AdMore lighting kit installed. I love the light.

case%20light%20on.jpg

I have a few more goodies to get on and then button her all up. Starting to get cold here in PA and I want to get the plastic back on while it is still a little warm out.

Still in the neck brace for another 3 weeks so I am getting closer to being able to ride it finally.

Well you got some payback... I will be adding the Admore light it to my E55.

I like the new cans. I just not sure I want to give up my peaceful cans full time!

Well you got some payback... I will be adding the Admore light it to my E55.

I like the new cans. I just not sure I want to give up my peaceful cans full time!
heheheheh Happy to help on the light kit ;)

I was a bit worried but I like the sound of the cans. They came with the tip in them and sound pretty tame. One good thing is if they get on my nerves it is like 10 minuets to change them out.

The AdMore kit is pretty nice and really lights up the back and sides. Not bad to install at all. One of the reasons I went aftermarket on the top case was to get lights on it. Still can not believe the Yamaha top case does not have lights.

So almost time to wrap up this farkel thread. I said almost as there are two things I need to have.

One is the +5 Rifle shield. I have read enough that I will be able to use it for my winter shield and then stock for summer.

The other is the electrified tank bag from Twisted Throttle a Daypack II that mounts on your gas cap ring. The slickest and smallest tank bag I have seen, and to have it powered inside is bomb. But hell I digress..........

This it what she looks like so far from the front:

from%20the%20front.jpg

and from the rear.

from%20the%20rear.jpg

Ut Oh! Had a change either in the '10 model year or the slider but I could not get the fairing over the slider. I needed to use a swivel with a long extension to tighten the pinch bolt on the motor mount, while hanging the right fairing loosely on the slider after I torqued it to 35 I think it was. All I know it is tight and something has changed and it will not go through the vent opening.

slider%20fit.jpg

I love this tank bra! However this has not seen sun on it. It has not formed completely and is not exactly placed, but it rocks!

tank%20bra.jpg

I like the Throttle Meister with the milled heavy bar ends. Of course I love grip puppy's and have used them for years.

bar%20ends%20grip%20puppies.jpg

Here are a few of the GPS adjusted about right for me and the Doran TPI display. If you look at the Odometer you can see all the zeros.

dash%20from%20side.jpg

sitting%20on%20it.jpg

sitting%20on%20it%202.jpg

The only thing that survived from my K1200LT was the GPS, the mount, and the sun cover for the GPS. I was going to buy a new cover but figured hey if it survived my 65 mph get off it is allowed to look a bit worn.

scared%20up%20cover.jpg

I use this Guardian cover when I travel as my dust/sun cover. It folds up small and does a nice job of keeping eyes of the bike. When you remove the bags it still fits nicely.

cover%20in%20my%20fist.jpg

cover%20on.jpg

cover%202.jpg

cover%20straps.jpg

So thanks for following along on my 0 mile farkel project, as I said I am not done but most of the major work is done. Now just got to order the Tank Bag and Rifle Shield.

This was a nice write up LAF. I enjoyed it. I hope you heel up soon and can get that sweet FJR out for a ride. That's pretty cool to have a brand new bike with no miles on it and then add all that stuff to it before you ever ride it. It's taken me almost two years to do alot of the same stuff to mine.