First Farkel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a nice write up LAF. I enjoyed it. I hope you heel up soon and can get that sweet FJR out for a ride. That's pretty cool to have a brand new bike with no miles on it and then add all that stuff to it before you ever ride it. It's taken me almost two years to do alot of the same stuff to mine.
Thank you. It was the first time in my life I was able to do all of this to a bike at one time and not being able to ride. I must say I hope it is my last!

It was fun and nice to share my insanity. Every thing fits so far. The suspension feels good or at least the rear shock. Will be working on sag here in the next few days but just setting on it an bouncing it feels nice, not stiff so I hope it is set pretty close from Traxion. Love the triple tree!!!!!!!!!!! The bars are where I need them to be. I like the highway pegs in length at least sitting on the bike while it is held. All in all I had fun, learned my way around my bike a little, and it helped me to rehab.

You might laugh but the dexterity needed to start screws and using the various fasteners, and using tools like a wrench and a socket helped. My orthopedic laughed at me pissing and moaning about wrenching on the bike.

Anyway thanks for following along. I appreciate your comments.

dribble.gif
Not Bad
dribble.gif
Thank you my friend.

It was a blast but don't ever want the "opportunity" again ;)

Well time to bring this to a close for the most part. I still have not ridden the bike yet but soon. Second surgery on C1 and C2 this Wednesday. Just had one Tuesday past from the front and they could not get the C2 break to join cleanly with a screw as they could not get the position right. So now it is on to going in from the back of the neck with pins and rods. More intrusive to say the least but a sure bionic fix. So looking for my annual Christmas Day ride of maybe New years if the weather cooperates here in Pennsatucky.

So I said I needed two more items and I got them on.

I said I needed a tank bag and had never used one in my life of riding. I knew I needed it as my communications holder and needed power to it. No matter what there had to be a cord running to it for power. what I did not want to have to unplug stuff to get gas and deal with any issues there. So this bag was what I wanted and I find it great for my use. I use all blue tooth and this bag will work well for me. Easy off and on and it does not touch the paint.

bag%20on.jpg

bag%20open.jpg

bag%20top.jpg

I also got a Rifle +5 +4. Obviously I can not give a comment yet but it is big as the pic below shows. I tried to show oem compared to it and some of the hardware shots. It does not bother me and I know no better as far as looks. There is some hardware there though. It is well made and looks great to me. I will have to see once I get my correct posture back if the height will need adjusting. And of course the last piece will be the seat then the windshield adjust if needed. As I sit the bike now I am fine with the height but again posture after surgery will determine that. I was advised against getting a seat where measurements were needed of me being in a riding posture as my body does not know it yet.

rifle%20and%20oem.jpg

rifle%20mounting.jpg

rifle%20on.jpg

Thanks for following along on the still 0 mile FJR. I kept finding ways to spend money but had to stop. I need a new seat eventually so saving pennies for that and will do it as I can get some miles on and see what I need from a seat on the FJR. I also know I want heated grips but I have heated cloths so I pushed them back on the list of wants, not the needs list.

Godspeed with the surgery today!

The bike is stunning...very well and tastefully farkled. Looking forward to hearing how it all rides/functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godspeed with the surgery today!

The bike is stunning...very well and tastefully farkled. Looking forward to hearing how it all rides/functions.
Thank you for the compliment and the well wishes.

Done deal after 5 hours yesterday. They took a piece of my hip bone to ground, cut, chip, whatever they needed to do with it to fill holes in the pins and wires. I never imagined what they did with our own bones now in spinal work.

At any rate I am on good drugs, I am home, my older sister is looking in on me, I will heal pretty quick. I also have some leaves to blow around a bit for exercise/therapy.

And I get to look at my bike done and I am really anxious to ride it.

Great farkles and an excellent project. However, I have one question........after all that farkling and you left the seat stock???....LOL

Great farkles and an excellent project. However, I have one question........after all that farkling and you left the seat stock???....LOL
Yes I know but since I can not sit the bike in a riding posture I can not tell what I need yet seat wise.

I have heard vicious rumors that the stock seat is not all that bad................. :)

Very nice write up. I only wish I had the mechanical ability to do the farkling myself. I had an installer do mine and he goofed a few things up. Keep us posted on how you're healing and when you finally take it out for a ride.

Oh...by the way, the stock seat sucks. Lol. Once you get your riding posture figured out a call to Russell should be on your list of things to do.

Great job on the bike and I enjoyed the journey. Good luck and hope you're back up on 2 soon.
Thank you for following along and the kind comments.

Unfortunately I have lied to you guys once again and acquired another farkel. Was made an offer I could not refuse. I will get it on and post up some Pics this week.

Thanks again for the 2 wheel up wish, it is soon I hope. Still a bit sore from pins and rods in C1 and C2 but it is getting there after 2 weeks. The back to back surgeries did me no favors. I keep finding stuff to put on this bike while I am recovering. I may need to unplug from the internet :p

Great job on the bike and I enjoyed the journey. Good luck and hope you're back up on 2 soon.
Thank you for following along and the kind comments.

Unfortunately I have lied to you guys once again and acquired another farkel. Was made an offer I could not refuse. I will get it on and post up some Pics this week.

Thanks again for the 2 wheel up wish, it is soon I hope. Still a bit sore from pins and rods in C1 and C2 but it is getting there after 2 weeks. The back to back surgeries did me no favors. I keep finding stuff to put on this bike while I am recovering. I may need to unplug from the internet :p
Here's to a swift recovery! :D :drinks:

With farkles, I'm finding that there is no such thing as "Well, that's it!"...there's always something else that can be done, lol.

Well got my FZ1 mirrors today but 35 out and too cold in the carport for sure. Go figure 53 yesterday but I was riding not wrenching, well sorta.

Anyway also will have a Cee-Bailey +2 Flip due here today to try in place of the 250 mile +5 Rifle that is on now. We shall se which one goes for sale?

Sorry no pics but I will compare the Rifle with the Cee-Bailey, and I will try and get a shot of what needs done to make the FZ1 to fit flush on the FJR. Not sure what is involved there but gonna sort it out as a gap would not please me. And since I also like the color matched mirrors this mod I am not real thrilled about however my life is worth more, so seeing behind me wins for sure!

Anyway pics by the weekend.

Lee

I know the mirror upgrade was/is a big improvement on the Gen I's. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on improvement on the Gen II.

Got my shipping notification on the Admore lights and harness today, along with 90 degree stems. Hope to have it all done next week along with some new shoes (PR2's) installed.

I know the mirror upgrade was/is a big improvement on the Gen I's. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on improvement on the Gen II.

Got my shipping notification on the Admore lights and harness today, along with 90 degree stems. Hope to have it all done next week along with some new shoes (PR2's) installed.
I know I love the AddMore lights and they really do the job in the back. Good job on the harness. Yes with the 250 miles I know I need to see behind me without having to tuck in to do it.

Yep when my new sneakers go on I will put in the 90's that came with the Doren Tire Monitor. I should get 5000 miles or so out of the OEM tires or maybe better who knows, I do have the PR2's in the closet waiting.

Well I added the Cee Bailey, the FZ1 mirrors and the Ilum Works Foot Peg Extender today.

Wont know on the Cee Bailey till I ride it, it is a Flip +2 +2 where the Rifle was +5 +4

shield%20side.jpg

I can say that the FZ1 mirrors are the stuff! So nice to see that I am almost ok with taking the painted mirrors off.

rear%20shield%20and%20fz1s.jpg

And the famous Antler Shot

fz1s%20from%20front.jpg

The Ilum Works Shifter Extender I am unsure of and will be until I ride. It was not that I could not find the shifter as I had to conform my foot down and in to get it. I like being able to just slide a toe off the peg and shift. I will see how this works out and I have wasted 20 bucks for less. It looks and feels great sitting but it may be out too far and if it closes up my ground clearance I will hack saw it down by 1/4" increments. Also bit of info on installing, pull the shifter rubber off the shifter, stick it in the extender and then lube the shifter peg with soapy water and it goes right on. That took a bit of time and grunting to figure out and should save you some hassle if you try one.

shifter%20close.jpg

And from the rear of the peg/shifter.

Ilum%20peg%20rear.jpg

Well I should be done now as it is time to ride, and I cant really think of anything I need. Of course we all know how that goes.

If I have learned anything so far is my top 3 farkels are these:

1. FZ1 Mirrors

2. Wynpro Side Stand Enlarger

3. Sliders

Sliders I hope to not need and hate counting them in the top 3 but protection is a must.

The FZ1 mirrors are just such an improvement that function wins hands down over form.

The side stand enlarger is just such a good bang for the buck to stop that Stiletto Heal they put on these 650lb bikes for side stands from digging in.

I love all the other things I have done but bang for buck for function, the top two cant be beat and the 3rd one is insurance you need to pay up for.

Damn it, I am done spending money on the thing!

Edit: I lied again. When I bought the Cee Bailey I also did the headlight combo so need to install those headlight guards and then I will be done.

Have to say the peg extender works like a charm. I am very happy with it after another 70 miles yesterday. Makes it very easy to find and shift and is no longer a point to deal with for me.

I also have to say I love the Cee Bailey flip +2 +2. Not too big and I can get behind it full up. As I try other helmets and get more time I think it will be the keeper. Does not flop around as the Rifle did but is also smaller so it figures.

The FZ1 mirrors are all that and a bag of chips with salsa too! So nice to see behind you without breaking your riding position. Need to find some small spots and mirrors will be another thing that is no longer a point on the FJR.

All in all I love the FJR the way I have it set up and now, it is just riding and smiling.

What a bike she is.

Glad to hear those antlers help you see better. anything tricky on install?

We'll see just how far this thread falls before your next add-on. I suspect not too far down the latter.

Glad to hear those antlers help you see better. anything tricky on install?

We'll see just how far this thread falls before your next add-on. I suspect not too far down the latter.
Not really tricky as I had read about gaps and such, I was not sure what to expect. I used the factory rubbers from the stock mirrors in them. I had ordered the FZ1 ones but they were too thick for me and left the threads short. Using the stock ones it still is tight but I used blue locktight on them and it will do for me. So there is a bit of a gap all around the base of the FZ1's but nothing I can not live with. I could not see mounting them with only the thin rubber around the FZ1 base, especially since they sell a rubber gasket for the FZ1 also. So I used the factory and life is good.

As I said I love them and they are very necessary for me to see behind me without contorting my body each time.

Well worth the investment.

Well I had the last two things laying around that needed to go on the FJR.

The first was the reflector tape for the rear of the side cases. I was not sure of it but now I am very pleased once on, seen in daylight, and then with this flash shot I am sure this is a great and inexpensive safety addition to the bike. Here is a snap in the dark, flash from the camera only, and well worth the 20 bucks to the door.

bag%20reflector.jpg

The second was a set of Cee Bailey headlight guards. I have never broke a headlight cover but have seen it happen on a BMW. Not sure of it but again I have wasted more money on less. Not thrilled with the three dots of lock tape on each and never was found of it but I said what the hell. Besides I got a deal when bought with a shield +2 +1 to try in place of the Rifle. If it is any kind of issue me and some goo be gone will be on it. Here is a shot of them on and there is no interference in the beam pattern of the headlights.

head%20light%20covers.jpg

So that is it, no more to put on, and no more money to put into it.

Good weather starting Wednesday and I should finish my 600+ mile break in by Friday or so. Riding is where I will be now and we are off to BC this summer for two weeks so gonna ride the snot out of her in the next few months.

Thanks for following along and I hope to see you guys on the road.