First Gear TPG Escape Overpants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Ok, in my quest for decent overpants but not over the top expensive, I am now looking at these overpants. Does anyone have firsthand experience with them? Are they very waterproof, etc? Drawing from my First Gear HT overpants experience. I'd say that FG is some decent stuff. Looking for something a little better than the HT overpants, though.

Any thoughts?

I'm not certain about which model of pants, but I think beeroux is sportin' some FG TPG pants.

"Paging GZ. GZ to the white courtesy phone please."

I have the heavier, think they are heavier, Firstgear TPG Escape pant/with liner. I have used & abused the pants here in the Northwet. :Snorkle: Well made, water & wind proof. Easy to get on & off over boots, big thing for us old fat guys. Really like them. Only used the liner a couple of times when temperature fell below 35.

Thanks Niehart, that is the kind of info that I was looking for. Waterproof is definitely towards the top of my list.

I hear that they run a little large, also.

I might just invest in a pair.

Anyone else???

Thanks for the page Gunny.

Yea, I have 40K on these exact same pants. I like them a lot.

I THINK FG is coming out with some new pants to match the new jackets, which have been over-hauled quite a bit. Not sure.

Contact Mark Kincart at FG and ask, he's an LD Fool and runs the FG line in the West.

Good luck!

GZ

Guys, much thanks for the responses... now, if I can only convince myself to spend this money... 'cause these look like the pants for me!

Got mine a few years back, when they first came out. Been quite pleased with them; they've always been quite waterproof. Haven't crash tested them, so I can't attest to their abrasion resistance. The only nit I could pick would be that the leg zippers on mine only open as far as the knee, making it a little difficult to put them on with boots on, if you have big feet (like mine). Sized a little bigger than jeans in the same size; might be a good idea to go up a size to use them as overpants. I've always liked First Gear; they are one of the few that offer tall sizes in pants.

+1 on FirstGear's Tall Sizes.

I have the HT Overpants and the HT Air Overpants ... unlike the TPG they both have full length 2-way zippers down each leg. Just picked up their Leather Sport Touring Overpants on close-out from MotorcycleGear.com and like the TPG they only have zippers up to the knees . . . it's tight but workable.

I'm late getting to this but would like to add some.

I have FG TPG's and have been all over the country with them. I no longer take the liner with me (would have to dig to even find!) as without them and shorts underneath they are good to ~50 deg IME. Pants/thermals take it down from there.

In the 100+ deg heat with just shorts they were OK as well and absolutely keep you dry in the rain.

Mine are oversize so I can wear a couple more layers and it works nicely - I did buy a set of suspenders from Cabela's however as I had to walk around with my hands on the waist like an inner-city kid to prevent them from falling down.

The zippered legs don't go above the knee which makes for difficulty getting them over boots and such; I've just learned to put the pants on first then the boots so no big deal.

For those with the current (2011?) TPG Escape pants, how do you like them?

I read a review where someone commented on the leg openings being kind of big and there aren't any provisions (straps or other fasteners) to cinch them tighter and they can get caught on the foot pegs, gear shifter, etc. Anyone experience that?

I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, as you know EOM 2011 was very wet! It was AMAZING. Didnt leak a drop and its very friendly to changing temperatures. I recently bought a pair of FirstGear Mesh Tex 2.0 Pants from Motorcycle Gear for $59.00. Wow what a deal. They are very nice. I have seen the HT Overpants in person, they appear to be very nice. Would of bought them but they didnt have my size(closeout). One day when i find a deal on them I will buy a pair! Just cant pay $225 ish for them.