First Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpm

Reaction score
Here are my first impressions. I have had many bikes in my 55 years. All or almost all I have liked for one reason or another. I favor lighter bikes so the FJR was a bit of a departure for me. My HD Superglide has been the only heavier bike I have owned. I had not planned on buying a FJR but I was at a local dealer waiting for a price on a Bonneville T100 so I sat on a FJR just to kill some time. Nice ergos and balance. Did not feel heavy. Surprise. He quoted me a price with my Bandit 1250 as a trade. Not a fair price but I looked around and bought one from a dealer a hundred miles away. Kept the Bandit. I rode it up to a lake where I have a small sailboat. The ride took me 4.5 hours mostly in the 30 to 65 mph range. Since then I have ridden through the country near home. About 300 miles in total. Here are my impressions with some comparisons to the Bandit which is a fair considering both are sportbikes to some degree.

Speed- The Bandit feels quicker. The FJR takes a bit longer to get up to speed. No issue with the 5 speed tranny. The wide gear range makes the bike nice for cruising.

Ergos- This is where the FJR shines. Love the windshield adjustment feature. Great for a hot day so one can lower it in town. Riding position for me (5' 10") is perfect. Best seat of any stock seat I have owned. After the 4.5 hours in the saddle I felt great. Better than the Bandit for an hour. I love the mpg and other indicators.

Handling - Handles well but tends to track straight but I think I just need to get used to the weight and push the bike more into the corners. All is all handles better than the Bandit. The Bandit has the smoother tranny but not so much that the FJR is a problem. No drive slack. Fantastic brakes.

Quality- Bandit paint is cheap. The FJR is nicely done and I don't think I will have any issues here. Oil change etc should be easy. I do all minor maintenance myself. Did not like the bags at first but now I think they are OK. Not trash like my old BMWs. With the way the bike is set up dont see the need for farkles (famous last words). Maybe a Speedohealer as the mph are off by about 5%

MPG- Good gas mpg. Average low to mid 40s. Equal to the Bandit.

I have the Bandit for sale. Will my FJR infatuation turn to love. Time will tell.

KP

... tends to track straight ....
Probably a tyre issue. The front needs the right tyre, and the right pressure. Particularly the BT021 is a known poor tyre, particularly after a couple of thousand miles. (You don't say whether your toy is new or used - update your profile?)

Suggest you read up the several thousand threads on tyres, ensure your pressures are 40/43 front/rear, and you get a decent tyre when the front is worn. (Many favour the PR2, I like the Storm ST Ultra 2; but a discussion on that will put this rapidly into the NERPT area :rolleyes: .)

Enjoy.

... tends to track straight ....
Probably a tyre issue. The front needs the right tyre, and the right pressure. Particularly the BT021 is a known poor tyre, particularly after a couple of thousand miles. (You don't say whether your toy is new or used - update your profile?)

Suggest you read up the several thousand threads on tyres, ensure your pressures are 40/43 front/rear, and you get a decent tyre when the front is worn. (Many favour the PR2, I like the Storm ST Ultra 2; but a discussion on that will put this rapidly into the NERPT area :rolleyes: .)

Enjoy.

agree, the Bt tires blow

What year / color ya ridin there M8...?

Welcome here, I rode the bandit, snorty and fast, but still prefer the FJR - both great bikes though, I really dig the almost no maintenance of the shaft....

They are a bit heavier bikes, but I find the FJR to be plenty of sporty for my needs and have even taken on the track at Road America, what a freakin blast.

Hope the love affair grows for ya, like it did for me, though I fell in love the second I wrote the check... :)

Found it very interesting to read the original post as it reflects my first impression almost perfectly. I have a 1999 1200 Bandit that has been modified and has horsepower equal or slightly more than the stock 1250's. Got 60,000 miles on the trusty Bandit and it still runs like new. The FJR does not feel as fast but I think they are close to equal in acceleration as the wind protection and smoothness diminishes the wow factor. My 2009 FJR bought used has 4800 miles on it. The front tire seems more worn than the rear which is surprising. Seems a lot of counter steering pressure is need especially at low speeds. I truely think much of it is a tire issue. Otherwise I love my new FJR, the seat is fantastic, electric windscreen is effective yet I might get a taller one. Love the side bags and overall fit and finish. Certainly a more sophisticated package than the Bandit but I'll always be a fan of that Suzuki product line.

Bill

Found it very interesting to read the original post as it reflects my first impression almost perfectly. I have a 1999 1200 Bandit that has been modified and has horsepower equal or slightly more than the stock 1250's. Got 60,000 miles on the trusty Bandit and it still runs like new. The FJR does not feel as fast but I think they are close to equal in acceleration as the wind protection and smoothness diminishes the wow factor. My 2009 FJR bought used has 4800 miles on it. The front tire seems more worn than the rear which is surprising. Seems a lot of counter steering pressure is need especially at low speeds. I truely think much of it is a tire issue. Otherwise I love my new FJR, the seat is fantastic, electric windscreen is effective yet I might get a taller one. Love the side bags and overall fit and finish. Certainly a more sophisticated package than the Bandit but I'll always be a fan of that Suzuki product line.Bill
Put some PR2s on it and you will be WOWed.

Do you currently have the Metzs?

Found it very interesting to read the original post as it reflects my first impression almost perfectly. I have a 1999 1200 Bandit that has been modified and has horsepower equal or slightly more than the stock 1250's. Got 60,000 miles on the trusty Bandit and it still runs like new. The FJR does not feel as fast but I think they are close to equal in acceleration as the wind protection and smoothness diminishes the wow factor. My 2009 FJR bought used has 4800 miles on it. The front tire seems more worn than the rear which is surprising. Seems a lot of counter steering pressure is need especially at low speeds. I truely think much of it is a tire issue. Otherwise I love my new FJR, the seat is fantastic, electric windscreen is effective yet I might get a taller one. Love the side bags and overall fit and finish. Certainly a more sophisticated package than the Bandit but I'll always be a fan of that Suzuki product line.Bill

Yes they are original BT021's. The rear tire at 4800 looks great, the front looks like its got double the miles. Never seen a front wear faster than a rear. The heavy steering is very noticable and I'll be replacing the front tire soon. PR2s? Are they Pirelli's or what. I know the Avon storms have good reviews on the ST1300. Sorry for letting this drift into a tire thread, but hey I like everything about the FJR except that stininking front tire.

Bill

Will my FJR infatuation turn to love. Time will tell.
KP
You'll know it when you start spending more time in the garage and the saddle than with your G/F or wife. Just this weekend, my wife accused me of "picking my bike over her". She said it with a smile, of course...while I was re-running the RAM mount power cables.

Yes they are original BT021's. The rear tire at 4800 looks great, the front looks like its got double the miles. Never seen a front wear faster than a rear. The heavy steering is very noticable and I'll be replacing the front tire soon. PR2s? Are they Pirelli's or what. I know the Avon storms have good reviews on the ST1300. Sorry for letting this drift into a tire thread, but hey I like everything about the FJR except that stininking front tire.

Bill
Yes, the Pilot Road 2 tire is from Pirelli. Other forum members have stated a dislike of the BT021 (Which are Bridgestones BTW), but I have no personal experience with them. I had the Metzeler Z6 when I bought my bike used with 3500 miles. I can't speak to how many highway miles they had on them, which may have effected how they 'felt'. What I CAN state is the PR2s made the bike feel 200 pounds lighter with turn in, as well as feel much better at holding my line in fast sweepers. Opinions about tires vary, but I LOVE these tires!!!

YMMV.

Thanks for correcting me. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. I deserved a dogpile ;)
NBC_smith-larry_dogpile.jpg

Whoopie...! Another tire thread... :rolleyes:

Great for Yamaha..., they can build a pretty-good bike -- but it needs special tires...! :rolleyes:

What kind of motorcycle needs special tires (other than with what it comes equipped...) to work properly...? :unsure:

Yes, the Pilot Road 2 tire is from Pirelli.
Errrmmmm... PR2's are a Michelin product.
What he said. :p
Thanks guys. My local dealer has PR2's for $115. He confirms they are Michelin's. Good chance I'll go for one soon.

Bill
Thanks for correcting me. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. I deserved a dogpile ;)
First ride today for me to better evaluate my 2009 FJR. Pumped up the front tire BT021 to 40 psi. Adjusted the front shocks and rear preload for a harder ride. A huge improvement, but still a bit heavy steering. I think a new front tire will solve that problem. Otherwise the engine is smooth with very predictable accelleration, no heat issues despite a very hot Florida day. Windshield is good with no buffeting in any position. However you must have a helmet with a face shield as airflow is to the face and bugs make it there. A taller more rounded windshield is likely in my future, but this one is better than most.

First ride today for me to better evaluate my 2009 FJR. Pumped up the front tire BT021 to 40 psi. Adjusted the front shocks and rear preload for a harder ride. A huge improvement, but still a bit heavy steering. I think a new front tire will solve that problem. Otherwise the engine is smooth with very predictable accelleration, no heat issues despite a very hot Florida day. Windshield is good with no buffeting in any position. However you must have a helmet with a face shield as airflow is to the face and bugs make it there. A taller more rounded windshield is likely in my future, but this one is better than most.
Bill,

You should put your home location in your profile so we can make fun of where you live. Probably one of those Palm Bay goat molesters. :lol:

Hot Florida day today?

Yeah, it was a hot, muggy mofo, fersure!!! :( ;( ;(

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

You should put your home location in your profile so we can make fun of where you live. Probably one of those Palm Bay goat molesters. :lol:

Hot Florida day today?

Yeah, it was a hot, muggy mofo, fersure!!! :( ;( ;(
Ain't no way I'm gonna post my location. I'd be afraid that some FJR geezer would show up expecting dinner, free booze, or somethin.

Bill