First Long Distance Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and PS, if you going to get all the stuff ppl suggest, better get yourself a trailer to pack it in :)
Yep - I'm paring down the list to the things I can't easily pick up along the way if needed - the suggestions have really been helpful and there are quite a few things that I would have never thought of - like aspirin - that I'm sure will make my first trip a heck of a lot more enjoyable.

Get an aftermarket seat...you said you didn't want to learn the hard way.
I agree with the seat. I did an SS1000 Iron Butt ride and my ass was not sore at all with the Russell seat I installed.

A lower cost alternative to the skyway hydration kit is a camelback, but make sure the tube can reach your mouth while riding. I strapped mine to the rear seat and had to extend the tube that came with my 1.5l model by about 8".

I used my tank bag for ready access to things like camera, advil, sunglasses, sun screen, gloves and energy bars.

Working the camera on the road requires a throttle lock or cruise control. Do not install an Audiovox CC100 on your 07. There is a low probability that it will work once the bike warms up. I have one on my 06 and had to spring for the vista cruise throttle lock for $19 to give my right hand a break and work the camera.

Where are you going in Cleveland? I grew up on the east side in Euclid and later moved to Mentor.

Glad to hear you got a Vista cruise installed...that is simply a must. I use a Camelback on long trips because it allows me to get a drink whenever I want and the wife and I can share easily. Any mini-mart will let you refill it with ice for free, which obviously becomes ice water over time. Just don't drink toooo frequently or you'll be stopping to pee way too often. Someone mentioned visor cleaner already, and I did that for a long time, but learned an even better alternative from a friend. Soak a washcloth in windex, fold it in 1/4ths, and put it in a ziplock bag. It will fit ANYWHERE, and works ridiculously well for days without harming your faceshield.

I haven't read anything here to indicate anyone will be traveling with you. If that's the case, I'm not sure why you'd need any more luggage than the factory side cases, except that a small tank bag would make it easier to get to rain gear, camera, cell phone, on short notice. The WIFE (who packs entirely too much crap!) and I did a ten day, 2500 mile trip on the FJR last fall with the side cases, a medium tank bag, and a medium Nelson Rigg tail pack. That included carrying a full sized bike cover and rain gear for both of us, a gaggle of electronics, and spare EVERYTHING! Even she admitted when all was said and done that she overpacked. We were plenty well prepared and comfortable. We had drinks, tunes (XM), GPS, Chatterbox, Audiovox cruise, and sheepskin seat covers from Aerostitch. IMO, Aerostitch is the proverbial candy store for LD riding kids. Customer service is simply second to none! My little world would be a much better place if every vendor I dealt with gave the kind of customer service they do, and they have the COOLEST toys for LD riding. Get one of their free catalogs and start your x-mas wish list early. Enjoy your trip!

Where are you going in Cleveland? I grew up on the east side in Euclid and later moved to Mentor.
A good friend of mine, and former business partner, just moved to the Cleveland area - he's in Avon Lake - looking at the map it is north, up by, or on, the lake.

DangerousDave - Hey thanks for the link - I'm sure it's about to cost me more Cake ($). You guys have loaded me up on farkle ideas.

BTW - why is it "Farkle" ? In the truck forums I've belonged to we always called them "mods".

Last edited by a moderator:
'Dangerous Dave' wrote: Someone mentioned visor cleaner already, and I did that for a long time, but learned an even better alternative from a friend. Soak a washcloth in windex, fold it in 1/4ths, and put it in a ziplock bag. It will fit ANYWHERE, and works ridiculously well for days without harming your faceshield.

I do the same with a few baby wet wipes in a zip lock bag. Always have a few in my shirt pocket to keep the, err.. tail pipe clean! :blink: comes in handy if you ever pull an impromptu rest stop between towns!

DangerousDave - Hey thanks for the link - I'm sure it's about to cost me more Cake ($). You guys have loaded me up on farkle ideas.

I often ask for Aerostitch gift certificates for my birthday. I don't think I'll ever run out of things to buy there, just a matter of affording it. Anything I've ever bought there that I had ANY kind of problem with, they've replaced or refunded at my option, no questions asked, don't have to yell at anybody or even ask twice. They're just fantastic.

BTW - why is it "Farkle" ? In the truck forums I've belonged to we always called them "mods".

I've wondered that one ever since I got on this forum. When in Rome.........

And just to clarify, that 10 day 2500 mile trip the wife and I took...that wasn't 2500 miles spread out over 10 days. That was 1100 miles in 2 days from Ohio to Ft Meyers Beach, FL, A week or so lounging on the beach and cruising around Captiva and Sanibel Islands, and 1250 miles back in 2 days via the scenic route through Deal's Gap and the Cherohala Skyway. Getting ready for a similar trip in about 6 weeks to the Clearwater area. This thread has really stirred up the excitement level for me. Hopefully the wife will pack a little lighter this year. <_<

I do the same with a few baby wet wipes in a zip lock bag. Always have a few in my shirt pocket to keep the, err.. tail pipe clean! :blink: comes in handy if you ever pull an impromptu rest stop between towns!

BABY WIPES!!! How could I have forgotten that one???

+1! I always carry those as well...but not to clean my faceshield. :blushing:

Do not install an Audiovox CC100 on your 07. There is a low probability that it will work once the bike warms up. I have one on my 06 and had to spring for the vista cruise throttle lock for $19 to give my right hand a break and work the camera.
What's up with the Audiovox?

I have one on my 06, the engine RPM wire came loose once at the tap connector, and it got some water in the control panel on a heavy rain, but otherwise it has functioned pefectly. :huh:

I find the first trip of the season to be the toughest... Can't remember what I need or should bring. As the season grows I vary my list of things I bring and don't bring. I always figure IF I forgot it and I really, really need it I can buy it on the way. Money, and credit cards go a long way.

I finished a 9000mi trip recently on my '04 with original seat and had no issues with it but I did wear bicycle pants so that may have made the difference. I am 6' and 200 lbs. Grip puppies were very good to have. Didn't have a cruise device but will for next trip. The bike performed flawlessly every day from sea level to 9000 ft and in heavy crosswinds as well. Had all the tools mentioned in earlier posts . A quality windscreen cleaner and soft cloths were what I used most followed by tire press. guage and a 17mm wrench to check the differential.

Have a great trip VanHarlan. It will be like reading the first page of the best book you ever read. You won't be able to stop. Cheers .

I find the first trip of the season to be the toughest... Can't remember what I need or should bring. As the season grows I vary my list of things I bring and don't bring. I always figure IF I forgot it and I really, really need it I can buy it on the way. Money, and credit cards go a long way.
I keep a list saved as a word doc on my PC. Then I copy, paste, and tweak as necesary for each individual trip. Then I can continue to edit it prior to the trip, print it out and use it as a checklist before leaving. List covers everything from rain gear to meds to tools to toiletries to spare bike key. Works out great.

[quote name='Dangerous Dave'

I keep a list saved as a word doc on my PC. Then I copy, paste, and tweak as necesary for each individual trip. Then I can continue to edit it prior to the trip, print it out and use it as a checklist before leaving. List covers everything from rain gear to meds to tools to toiletries to spare bike key. Works out great.

You sound like a very organised guy Dave - and to a rather unorganised guy like myself, your word doc sounds like a good starting point...... would you be willing to share?

TIA - Bull

You sound like a very organised guy Dave - and to a rather unorganised guy like myself, your word doc sounds like a good starting point...... would you be willing to share?
TIA - Bull

Organized....yeaaahhhhh...that sounds way better than "anal". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm at work right now, but I could probably copy and paste it later when I get home. Keep your eyes peeled. :ph34r: :ph34r:

TIA - Bull

Organized....yeaaahhhhh...that sounds way better than "anal". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm at work right now, but I could probably copy and paste it later when I get home. Keep your eyes peeled. :ph34r: :ph34r:
10-4 - a very kind offer Dave: now that I think a little further on it, maybe we can combine ideas/wisdom and create some templates which could be stored someplace sticky? or am I missing the boat? Maybe there's something like that 'out there' already?

I could envision three lists:

a short general purpose one

one for weekend trips or short hauls

an extended, multi-day expedition sheet.

whatdyathink?

TIA - Bull

10-4 - a very kind offer Dave: now that I think a little further on it, maybe we can combine ideas/wisdom and create some templates which could be stored someplace sticky? or am I missing the boat? Maybe there's something like that 'out there' already?

whatdyathink?
Bull,

Yesterday I started to cut and paste all the items mentioned so far in the thread - actually into 3 categories: "suggested items" "suggested farles" "great links" - when I'm done I plan on editing my first post of the thread so it will be right up front.

Dave,

I really like the word doc idea.

whatdyathink?

Problem is, people have different priorities for each one of those endeavors. My list is ALL-INCLUSIVE, in that I NEVER take everything that's on this list. This list covers everything regardless of destination, which bike I'm taking, trailering or riding there (packing cooler and toolbox), anticipated weather conditions (Clearwater in August, or Cherohala Skyway in October), etc. I'm sure others have their "must-have" items that aren't on my list and no less important to them. Like I said, this is a master list that I use which I can copy, paste, and edit easily to fit the needs of each individual trip. So without further delay...my list.

What to take this weekend

Riding gear

Cortech suit

Black leather jacket and pants

clear face shield

Rain suit

AGV gloves

Tourmaster gloves

Mesh Suit

Joe Rocket riding boots

Motoline overboots

Street helmet

Glove liners

Sun glasses

Clothes

Underwear

long socks

short socks

T-shirts/tank tops

shorts for sleep

Long johns

street shorts

jeans

sweatshirt

running shoes

flip-flops

Bike stuff

Front and rear stands

WD-40

Chain lube

Shop towels

Pro Honda polish

Polishing cloths

Toolbox

Brake parts cleaner

Tire plug kit

Spare fuel bottle

Small and large magnetic tank bags

Tail pack

Bike cover

Visor cloth

Chamois

Misc.

Spare keys

ear plugs

Baby wipes

cell charger

First aid kit

Bike alarm

GPS

XM

Camelback

flashlight

AA batteries & charger

Deal’s Gap map pack

Cable lock

Bottle opener

Food

Fruit

Beef Jerky

Mt Dew

Beer

Toiletries

Glasses

Spare contacts

Allergy meds (3)

Sleep meds (2)

Toiletries kit *

* toothbrush, toothpaste, soap,

shampoo, deodorant, razor,

aftershave, Q-tips

Dave,I really like the word doc idea.

I had to reformat it a bit to make it fit right here, but in its original form it all fits on one sheet of paper in multiple columns. Works for me.

YMMV,

Maybe you should buy a wing with a trailer or a car instead?

Maybe you should read the paragraph before the list...especially the part where it says I NEVER take all this stuff with me at one time.

Why do some people feel the need to be like that?? <_< <_<