First Long Distance Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should buy a wing with a trailer or a car instead?

Maybe you should read the paragraph before the list...especially the part where it says I NEVER take all this stuff with me at one time.

Why do some people feel the need to be like that?? <_< <_<

D.Dave - Don't worry Bro! It's obvious that he hasn't passed 6th grade english yet - otherwise he would have known that his post is a 'statement', not a 'question' and he would have used a period instead of a question mark. Maybe when summer school is over they can they can start working with him on conceptual idea formation and literation. :headbonk:

Consider taking a passenger, preferably of the opposite sex. Sharing the adventure with good company enhances it. Sunglasses or tinted prescription glasses; good walking shoes for when the day is done and the boots are off; extra gloves, lighter and/or heavier; plastic cleaner and rags for windscreen on bike and helmet; light weight cable lock to keep helmet, jackets, tank bag etc. with the bike when you're away; a good book for lounging late at night and +1 on the light pain meds.
Man, I don't like riding with a passenger. I don't know about you guys, but I need the room for storage, enjoy the alone time, and I'm always extra nervous with someone else's life in my hands - not to mention you take the "sport" aspect out of the tour! :)

I always like to take a camera, a good book, and music (iPod, Sirius, what have you).

Credit cards are a must.

Beaucoup amount of Velcro straps. DUCT TAPE. Bungi cords.

GPS...

I found this the other day - somewhat interesting:

https://www.micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Man, I don't like riding with a passenger. I don't know about you guys, but I need the room for storage, enjoy the alone time, and I'm always extra nervous with someone else's life in my hands - not to mention you take the "sport" aspect out of the tour! :)

Au contraire mon ami...I've dragged pegs through the Dragon with the wife on back and a FULL load of luggage. After we got to the other end, she told me it was the smoothest pass I ever made through there. Just don't scare 'em to death and ride like they aren't even there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Au contraire mon ami...I've dragged pegs through the Dragon with the wife on back and a FULL load of luggage. After we got to the other end, she told me it was the smoothest pass I ever made through there. Just don't scare 'em to death and ride like they aren't even there.
Hmmm, I just don't know how the physics of the thing can allow you to ride just as well with all that extra weight. Breaking times are increased, there is always some movement, acceleration is decreased when you double the weight, the bike simply just doesn't go as quick as when it's just me.

But I will admit, I ride like a grandmother though. I fully admit this and keep my lack of skills in mind in hopes that it will keep me alive for the next Long Ride. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote: "Au contraire mon ami...I've dragged pegs through the Dragon with the wife on back and a FULL load of luggage. After we got to the other end, she told me it was the smoothest pass I ever made through there. Just don't scare 'em to death and ride like they aren't even there."

Quote: "Hmmm, I just don't know how the physics of the thing can allow you to ride just as well with all that extra weight. Breaking times are increased, there is always some movement, acceleration is decreased when you double the weight, the bike simply just doesn't go as quick as when it's just me.

But I will admit, I ride like a grandmother though. I fully admit this and keep my lack of skills in mind in hopes that it will keep me alive for the next Long Ride."

I ride no less - or more - aggressively without or without my favorite passenger. The FJR has sporting limitations that are nearly the same in either case - when pegs and boot soles start touching down, that's fast enough. I will admit, I ride with a tad more caution when two up, but essentially no different. I probably rarely exceed 8/10ths of the bike's capabilities or 9/10ths of my personal ones. As an aside, I find that with stock suspension components, two-up and loaded, when the pegs start touching, you've still got a 1/4-inch "chicken strip" on the edge of the rear tire (Avon Storm) - plenty. I have touched the exhaust collector and centerstand tang a couple of times when heeled well over, then hitting a dip.

Regarding using Windex-type cleaners on clear plastic, if it has ammonia it will fog the material. That's why I prefer a cleaner specifically made for clear plastics.

Maybe you should buy a wing with a trailer or a car instead?
News Flash! I have a Wing with camper trailer (25 cf. storage) and I sometimes run out of room.

But then I like to travel [SIZE=18pt]LARGE[/SIZE]

I tried a list, but I usually just keep throwing stuff in until I run out of room :rolleyes: