first long ride on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicspeed

Tennessee Volunteer
Reaction score
ok today i put 423 miles on my FJR. that is the longest i have ever rode a scoot in 1 day. ( i know, i know i'm a wuss) except for getting a little squirrelly around 18 wheelers, it was the smoothest, fastest ride i have ever experienced. BTW i put on the v-stream windshield last night before my ride and it is an excellant product. no helmet buffeting, no wind noise when in up position, the only minor and i mean minor gripe is the heat buildup behind it.

ok today i put 423 miles on my FJR. that is the longest i have ever rode a scoot in 1 day. ( i know, i know i'm a wuss) except for getting a little squirrelly around 18 wheelers, it was the smoothest, fastest ride i have ever experienced. BTW i put on the v-stream windshield last night before my ride and it is an excellant product. no helmet buffeting, no wind noise when in up position, the only minor and i mean minor gripe is the heat buildup behind it.
Congrats! They just keep getting longer, a 400 mile day on the Magna would've killed me. The Feej just makes it easy! :yahoo:

500 is a milestone. Now that you know you're capable of it, the longer rides get shorter all the time. Congrats.

BTW, I have a V-Stream for my 06, too, but as you say, it gets warm behind it. I took it off for summer, but will mount it up again once it gets "cold". It's a pretty good product.

Ride safe.

I've only done 120 or so...Last Fri, and again on Sat. I took my wife from central KY to Huntington WV to visit family/freinds. Her first trip on an Interstate. It was pretty fun...only one really bad truck turbulaence incident. I don't know if she'll do anything longer than that trip or not.

MP <><

Good luck on your ride. Remember to stop when you want and go when you want. A question ref. the vstream. I have one and have not installed it yet but what is this heat you are talking about. Is it in the lowest position also. I am very sensitive to the heat issues. Thanks

A question ref. the vstream. I have one and have not installed it yet but what is this heat you are talking about.
I didn't keep mine on for too long as it was warm weather, but it felt like it was blocking too much wind, like the vents in my jacket weren't working properly. I hadn't really thought about the low pressure draw of heat from below, but it might be a factor.

That's not a wuss ride at all. The more of those you do, the sooner you'll get hooked.

Last week, a friend and I were walking along the beach path when we happened upon two guys with a pretty HD, posed with the ocean in the background. We duly admired the shiny bike, and chatted a while. He learned that we both ride FJR's then told us that he'd ridden FIFTY miles on the HD the previous day. He seemed very proud of that fact. (There was a truck with trailer in the parking lot).

Jill

That's not a wuss ride at all. The more of those you do, the sooner you'll get hooked.
Last week, a friend and I were walking along the beach path when we happened upon two guys with a pretty HD, posed with the ocean in the background. We duly admired the shiny bike, and chatted a while. He learned that we both ride FJR's then told us that he'd ridden FIFTY miles on the HD the previous day. He seemed very proud of that fact. (There was a truck with trailer in the parking lot).

Jill

LOL i just rode my old marauder bout 15 miles and i was ready to get off of it......so i can understand 50 on a HD

Good luck on your ride. Remember to stop when you want and go when you want. A question ref. the vstream. I have one and have not installed it yet but what is this heat you are talking about. Is it in the lowest position also. I am very sensitive to the heat issues. Thanks
in the high position is when i felt the heat but it was really too bad considering it was over 90 yesterday...in the low position you still get good airflow , not quite as much as stock, but i like the ride behind the v-stream a lot more

LOL i just rode my old marauder bout 15 miles and i was ready to get off of it......so i can understand 50 on a HD
My old HD Sportster was good for maybe 50-60 miles before my whole body tingled too much from the vibration or the carbs started leaking again. However, not to bash HD too much, I did ride a rented Roadking 600 miles in one day a few years ago. Except for the god awful seat, it was a comfortable ride.

The second day I owned my FRJ I rode it 700 miles and felt just fine. A little tingly in the right hand but otherwise I was good to go.

My old HD Sportster was good for maybe 50-60 miles before my whole body tingled too much from the vibration or the carbs started leaking again. However, not to bash HD too much, I did ride a rented Roadking 600 miles in one day a few years ago. Except for the god awful seat, it was a comfortable ride.

The second day I owned my FRJ I rode it 700 miles and felt just fine. A little tingly in the right hand but otherwise I was good to go.

Well, I did 1870 miles on my Harley last week, much of it in the twisties in the mountains of NC, the rest of it getting there and back. I have also done a SS1000 on mine, as have many other Harley riders.

And a guy on a Sportster did come in third I believe in this years IBR.

The truth is many people buy Harleys because they like the way they look and they are not really riders. It doesn't mean the bikes aren't capable.

None of this means I don't think the FJR is a great bike. I lurk here all the time because I am thinking of buying one, one day. Still, just because HDs attract so many posers doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the bikes.

Gotta go wash my bike now. :yahoo:

Dan

I like motorcycles, basically anything with 2 wheels. I own an FJR and it is the best bike, but someday I'd like to own a Harley too. It is too bad that there are many posers on HD, calling themselves motorcyclists.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to say congrats on the new bike. Many happy miles to you.

Dan

I love motorcycles too and I am still searching for "THE ONE". In 04 I purchased a Moto Guzzi Lemans. My first bike after going 18 years without. Owned it for 2.5 years and put about 30k on it. Had a ball on that bike. Got tired of the low riding position with the clips ons. Sold it and thought maybe the ultimate cruiser would be "THE ONE". Bought a 2000 HD Road King Classic. Cleaned and polished it and put cool pipes on it. Owned it for 2 months. It killed my back and was too slow. HD not "THE ONE". Sold it and actually made money. Took my wad and went back to Guzzi. Bought the new Norge 1200. It's a really great bike but still not "THE ONE". Now I'm selling the Norge and got the hots for an 07 FJR. I love the black cherry with those silver accents. Today I am kicking myself for not looking closer at the FJR before buying the Norge. Why, why, why? After owning the Norge for 2 months I test rode an 07 FJR twice. First time I took it out for about 10 miles and thought it was ok but kind of weird. Happily got back on my Norge and rode off. A month later I took it again for about 25 miles but this time I didn't want to get off. Since then I have been plotting and scheming to get the FJR. I think the FJR may be "THE ONE"! I have found that it really takes owning a motorcycle to determine if you really like it. You just can't know from a few test spins. Truth is I would like to have two or three. Reality is I can only have one. The FJR will be my next bike.

Well, I did 1870 miles on my Harley last week, much of it in the twisties in the mountains of NC, the rest of it getting there and back. I have also done a SS1000 on mine, as have many other Harley riders.
And a guy on a Sportster did come in third I believe in this years IBR.

The truth is many people buy Harleys because they like the way they look and they are not really riders. It doesn't mean the bikes aren't capable.

None of this means I don't think the FJR is a great bike. I lurk here all the time because I am thinking of buying one, one day. Still, just because HDs attract so many posers doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the bikes.

Gotta go wash my bike now. :yahoo:

Dan
Harleys are generally quite nice bikes. I'm simply saying that MY Sportster wasn't good for long distance riding. I rode the rented Roadking over 1800 miles and other than It could have used some more power and a more comfortable seat it was a very capable bike.