First ride on my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H-Town FJR - It's great to hear that you are doing better!

I took my bike to the shop this morning to have a new tire put on the front. I chose the Michelin PR2 120/70 ZR17 as it has outstanding reviews from FJR owners. Love this bike, ordered my handlebar risers today.

I am very pleased to say the least!

I was plagued with the numb throttle hand as well and I'm sure some was from my seating position, but I also buggered that wrist years ago in the service and it likes to protest from time to time. My solution was to add a Crampbuster (cheap plastic, but fantastic), Grip Puppies, and the throttle spring unwind. My bike already had 1" risers on it from the PO...just had to move the bars to the rear pin. Constant numbness is gone, although I can bring it back if I start going lax on the proper riding position. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was plagued with the numb throttle hand as well and I'm sure some was from my seating position, but I also buggered that wrist years ago in the service and it likes to protest from time to time. My solution was to add a Crampbuster (cheap plastic, but fantastic), Grip Puppies, and the throttle spring unwind. My bike already had 1" risers on it from the PO...just had to move the bars to the rear pin. Constant numbness is gone, although I can bring it back if I start going lax on the proper riding position. ;)

I ordered some risers today after riding. I paid close attention to my posture, arms, etc. Once I've gotten those installed, my bike should be perfect for a short bradman. Ha ha.

I ordered some risers today after riding. I paid close attention to my posture, arms, etc. Once I've gotten those installed, my bike should be perfect for a short bradman. Ha ha.
The risers help. I have them on mine as well...like them alot.

Cool! I've ordered a few things to hopefully make my bike fit me perfectly. I can't wait! I already love it, so......

I would like a cruise control, but don't have that kind of money. I've ordered one of those $10 palm things for the right grip.

I'm also looking for a posting that was on here. A guy had put dividers in his saddle bags, I should have bookmarked it, but something happened and I forgot :eek: ( Old age probably! Ha ha.

I'm also looking for a posting that was on here. A guy had put dividers in his saddle bags, I should have bookmarked it, but something happened and I forgot :eek: ( Old age probably! Ha ha.
We don't need no stinkin' dividers! :lol:

It's much more important to be able to bring your latte' along:

fjr_drink_holder.jpg

:D

We don't need no stinkin' dividers! :lol:

It's much more important to be able to bring your latte' along:

fjr_drink_holder.jpg

:D

That's excellent!

Great hearing that you enjoyed your ride. You may be holding on to your bike with too tight a grip. Trying relaxing your grip and see it that helps. Also your handle bars do have some adjustments in them.

Great hearing that you enjoyed your ride. You may be holding on to your bike with too tight a grip. Trying relaxing your grip and see it that helps. Also your handle bars do have some adjustments in them.

I guess I'm nervous or something to be holding the grip so tight. Is that normal?

I guess I'm nervous or something to be holding the grip so tight. Is that normal?
Yes, absolutely 100% normal (whatever that is). As you get used to the big girl you'll relax and enjoy things even more. :thumbsup:

(by "big girl" I'm referring to your bike, not your SO, though it may apply in both situations :unsure: )

Yes, absolutely 100% normal (whatever that is). As you get used to the big girl you'll relax and enjoy things even more. :thumbsup:

(by "big girl" I'm referring to your bike, not your SO, though it may apply in both situations :unsure: )

Ha ha!

I put on the crampbuster and it is really nice to be a $10 piece of plastic, kudos to the guy that invented it, hope he has a patent :)

I also adjusted my handlebars all the way back. They feel much better, but I'm going to put the risers on later. It is more than I am competent to do, so I'll find someone local to help me out.

How do you train youself not to slouch and to sit up correctly, I must be a lazy slob, ha ha. I guess that slouching comes natural for me! :)

Thank you very much! Riding it today makes being in the "doghouse" worth it! My wife is still mad about me buying the bike! LOL! Ha ha!

:yahoo:

A nice helmet and riding jacket in her favorite color goes a long way... so I hear! :whistle:

Thank you very much! Riding it today makes being in the "doghouse" worth it! My wife is still mad about me buying the bike! LOL! Ha ha! :yahoo:

A nice helmet and riding jacket in her favorite color goes a long way... so I hear! :whistle:

Mine too!!!

Definitely worth it! I'm keeping the bike........... I told her that the heifers come and go but the bull stays!!!! Ha ha. That went over like a turd in a punchbowl!!!!

:)

Congrats on the new (to you) FJR. I too am a convert. Sold my 2008 Harley Dyna Super Glide about a month ago, bought a Black Cherry 2007 FJR the next day and have already farkled the hell out of it. Longest day so far has been 300 miles. Much better motorcycle for riding, the Harley was good for "posing".

Congrats on the new (to you) FJR. I too am a convert. Sold my 2008 Harley Dyna Super Glide about a month ago, bought a Black Cherry 2007 FJR the next day and have already farkled the hell out of it. Longest day so far has been 300 miles. Much better motorcycle for riding, the Harley was good for "posing".

I am amazed at the number of people that feel the same way we do. It is a huge group and growing.

The previous owner added the rizers and I love em. I believe there is some adjustability in the handle bars. I have no instructions. What needs to be done to make adjustments? Thanks, Bill

The previous owner added the rizers and I love em. I believe there is some adjustability in the handle bars. I have no instructions. What needs to be done to make adjustments? Thanks, Bill
Kinda depends on the risers you have I think. I just have 1" blocks and you get 3 forward/backward positions to move the bars (which is the stock number as well). The adjustments are not big by any stretch, but they do make subtle differences. On mine, you basically pop off the screw covers in the bars, loosen the bolts enough to lift each bar over a little safety pin and re-tighten. YMMV. It's obviously a bit more complicated if you have to start changing out the triple tree and things of that nature.

Kinda depends on the risers you have I think. I just have 1" blocks and you get 3 forward/backward positions to move the bars (which is the stock number as well). The adjustments are not big by any stretch, but they do make subtle differences. On mine, you basically pop off the screw covers in the bars, loosen the bolts enough to lift each bar over a little safety pin and re-tighten. YMMV. It's obviously a bit more complicated if you have to start changing out the triple tree and things of that nature.
Thanks, gives me an idea of what to try. My risers are formed to the exact shape of the base of the handle bars. In the current position the bars and the base perfectly match. I assume any adjustments will show a slight displacement between the bars and base.

True??

Bill

Thanks, gives me an idea of what to try. My risers are formed to the exact shape of the base of the handle bars. In the current position the bars and the base perfectly match. I assume any adjustments will show a slight displacement between the bars and base.

True??

Bill
Perhaps a bit of displacement. On mine you can barely make it out the edges; here's mine sitting under the right handlebar...you can see a slight overhang on the inboard edge (bars in rearmost position):

riser.jpg

I am also thinking about trading my 07'FXD for an FJR,looking for a better 2 up ride,how does the FJR compare at low speed handling & parking lot speeds,just about my only concern.

Great colour choice the Black Cherry looks beautiful.

Graham.