First Ride Report-Nitrous

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmak

Reaction score
A bit back I posted that I was adding NOS to the '05 and promised ongoing reports on how it is progressing.

For those who are not familiar with nitrous or "NOS" and predicted dire consequences:

The engine did not explode in a ball of fire.

Hell's denizens did not emerge shrieking triumphantly.

Law enforcement or our armed forces did not respond to the threat-at least not yet.

The use of nitrous did not make my hair fall out, pistons burn, engine detonate, etc., although I know you are right, it is only a matter of time.

I did see Elvis.

For those who are in the know: I began by using the smallest jet (+20 hp) and will work my way up, checking the plugs as I go, although a number of tuners are sure I can go 40 hp w/out needing to make any changes. It performed flawlessly, the same type of acceleration I experienced with "wet" nos. Because you should hit the button with the throttle wide open, I fudged a bit to ensure I was able to gauge the nos induced acceleration as opposed to normal acceleration. I held the throttle pegged at 6500 rpms, held it there (in 3rd and 4th) and hit the button. Acceleration was linear, smooth and similar to what you might feel if you kept rolling open the throttle. Guess what it feels like when you do both!

Next, I'll go to the 30 hp jet, then the 40. I haven't been able to connect with my buddy with the dyno yet, but will eventually. However, the seat of the pants dyno tells me the '05 likes the NOS and may develop a more powerful thirst than I will be able to financially slake, unless I purchase a large tank myself!

Karmak;

Good job! We look forward to more reports until the FeeJ does the quarter mile in 7 seconds. :agent:

Everyone deep down wants your bike to be the bad ass FeeJ!!! :coolsmiley:

Good luck!

Now about that turbo!!!

I am not going to put nitrous on my bike cause'n i cant replace it. But I will sure keep an eye on this thread. Cool job, dont burn it up too soon

Now about that turbo!!!
I am not going to put nitrous on my bike cause'n i cant replace it. But I will sure keep an eye on this thread. Cool job, dont burn it up too soon
you need to get on a dyno to check a/f ratios, you can usually get away with a 40 shot dry, make sure the spray hits the air box temp sensor this will help it correct for the spray. I have been running a 40 dry shot on my r1. Verified with a wideband commander my bike goes from 13:1 to 13.5:1 when i spray,

i just got back from the maxton mile chasing 200 so i went with a 55 shot and even though my a/f was very rich I melted piston rings in 2 cylinders, oooops,

heres a bad copy of a dyno runm the bike still had a bad tune, it is much better now, and this is with a 30 hp jet

good luck with your quest it sounds like you are taking your time doing it right, it sure is an addicting rush

img0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, let me get this straight. I'm haulin' @ss on a quick launch with this system. I've got throttle on and am making sure the front end stays down and I don't drift into the other guy's lane. And I'm supposed to press another button somewhere at the same time?

How hard would it be to produce a 'metered' NOS system. One that adds a little at a lower RPM and ramps up the amount up to WOT following some experimentally-derived curve? All one would do is "arm" or "disarm" the system and the rest would be controlled automatically.

IIRC there was a "Venom" version of the Dodge Viper that ran a "full time" NOS system that functioned similarly.

I can see it now, with a cover and a big red missile arming button.."In Case of 'Busa..."

A bit back I posted that I was adding NOS to the '05 and promised ongoing reports on how it is progressing.
For those who are not familiar with nitrous or "NOS" and predicted dire consequences:

Law enforcement or our armed forces did not respond to the threat-at least not yet.

The use of nitrous did not make my hair fall out, pistons burn, engine detonate, etc., although I know you are right, it is only a matter of time.

I did see Elvis.

For those who are in the know: I began by using the smallest jet (+20 hp) and will work my way up, checking the plugs as I go, although a number of tuners are sure I can go 40 hp w/out needing to make any changes. It performed flawlessly, the same type of acceleration I experienced with "wet" nos. Because you should hit the button with the throttle wide open, I fudged a bit to ensure I was able to gauge the nos induced acceleration as opposed to normal acceleration. I held the throttle pegged at 6500 rpms, held it there (in 3rd and 4th) and hit the button. Acceleration was linear, smooth and similar to what you might feel if you kept rolling open the throttle. Guess what it feels like when you do both!

Next, I'll go to the 30 hp jet, then the 40. I haven't been able to connect with my buddy with the dyno yet, but will eventually. However, the seat of the pants dyno tells me the '05 likes the NOS and may develop a more powerful thirst than I will be able to financially slake, unless I purchase a large tank myself!

I posted some of these before-note that the intake tubes (in airbox) create a space (behind them in the airbox) that the nitrous can get behind-so you can see the gasket I made to keep the majority of nitrous in the front of the airbox. The lines from the bottles meet in a "T" under the seat that attaches to the solenoid. Then, a line from the outlet (solenoid) to a smaller "t" (the bottle lines are large braided lines, the lines from the solenoid are much smaller plastic lines). Two lines splits off from the smaller T - one going into the right side of the air box, one to the left side (opposite each other). Both are mounted high in the airbox to ensure the NOS hits the air temp sensor. I also have them positioned so they fire the NOS between the filter and intake tubes. I definitely lose some effectiveness by leaving the filter in and may remove it completely in future (Do a filter mod so the snorkle opening is filtered either on the inside or outside). I did not use the horn button per instructions, but wired it to a "kill" button that I attached to the horn/windshield/signal unit. The bolt on the unit did not provide a good ground so I ran a ground to the frame. I also wired in a lighted activation (rocker type) activation switch that I placed next to the Hazard switch.

Do not try this at home and operate the system only on a closed course with a professional driver!!!!

https://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/K...nt=SANY0115.jpg

https://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/K...nt=IMGP0291.jpg

https://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/K...nt=SANY0157.jpg

https://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/K...nt=IMGP0288.jpg

https://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/K...nt=SANY0116.jpg

https://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/K...nt=SANY0122.jpg

So, let me get this straight. I'm haulin' @ss on a quick launch with this system. I've got throttle on and am making sure the front end stays down and I don't drift into the other guy's lane. And I'm supposed to press another button somewhere at the same time?

How hard would it be to produce a 'metered' NOS system. One that adds a little at a lower RPM and ramps up the amount up to WOT following some experimentally-derived curve? All one would do is "arm" or "disarm" the system and the rest would be controlled automatically.

IIRC there was a "Venom" version of the Dodge Viper that ran a "full time" NOS system that functioned similarly.

I can see it now, with a cover and a big red missile arming button.."In Case of 'Busa..."

its really not bad, i have mine set up on a switch . so with the hidden switch in one position the horn functions normally, in the other postiion the horn activates the nitrous. Its really much easier to controll then you would think. Once you get over the inital wtf is going to happen fear it is just addictingly fun.

This thread reminds me of a bike I saw at Destination Daytona.

It's a Boss Hoss.

With NOS.

Dunno if you'll be able to make out the sticker by the passenger footpeg or not, but it says "732 hp."

732HP.jpg

I've never ridden a Boss Hoss. Not sure I'd want to. But I have to wonder what happens to the bike when you twist the right thingee with a longitudinally mounted V8.

On my little 1100cc BMW boxer the whole bike could be felt being twisted by the counter rotational force from the mass of the crankshaft whenever you revved the engine. This must be the same x10...

I did see Elvis.

Are you on glue? :blink: :) Keep us informed.