First Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Yesterday was my first real ride on my newly aquired 04 ABS. I can honestly say, I will never get rid of this bike. It really is everytying that the forum and reviews say it is!

We have great roads around Louisville, KY. I took some back roads that have great banked turns followed by long open stretches, lots of twisties, and changing elevation. The bike does not feel as heavy as it is. It was surprisingly agile, even compared to the honda 919 I used to ride. I felt more secure entering turns and it held lines well as I accellerated out of the apex of each turn.

Comfort great too. The honda 919 was not faired, so the wind blast was a bitch... The Vstar was more comfortable, but slow as balls. Riding position is so much better than a cruiser. FJR has just enough lean to use your legs keep your back slightly arched instead of sitting straight up with all the weight on your tailbone.

I really have to watch my speed on this bike. I was going 25-30 over sometimes and didn't even realize it. One time I saw my speed, slowed down, and around the corner is an LEO with his radar out. Phew... I smiled and knodded as I rode.

All and all, my only complaint.... Not enough time to ride!!!! I'm going back out today with new Pilot Powers. I wanted the Roads, but they didn't have them in stock and I couldn't wait another day for shipping, I want the bike now!!!!!

If anyone is ever in the Louisville area let me know, I know a lot of great low traffic roads with mucho twisties and nice scenery!

(I know none of this is new info, but I am just so thrilled I had to tell someone who would understand!!! :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was my first real ride on my newly aquired 04 ABS. I can honestly say, I will never get rid of this bike. It really is everytying that the forum and reviews say it is!
We have great roads around Louisville, KY. I took some back roads that have great banked turns followed by long open stretches, lots of twisties, and changing elevation. The bike does not feel as heavy as it is. It was surprisingly agile, even compared to the honda 919 I used to ride. I felt more secure entering turns and it held lines well as I accellerated out of the apex of each turn.

Comfort great too. The honda 919 was not faired, so the wind blast was a bitch... The Vstar was more comfortable, but slow as balls. Riding position is so much better than a cruiser. FJR has just enough lean to use your legs keep your back slightly arched instead of sitting straight up with all the weight on your tailbone.

I really have to watch my speed on this bike. I was going 25-30 over sometimes and didn't even realize it. One time I saw my speed, slowed down, and around the corner is an LEO with his radar out. Phew... I smiled and knodded as I rode.

All and all, my only complaint.... Not enough time to ride!!!! I'm going back out today with new Pilot Powers. I wanted the Roads, but they didn't have them in stock and I couldn't wait another day for shipping, I want the bike now!!!!!

If anyone is ever in the Louisville area let me know, I know a lot of great low traffic roads with mucho twisties and nice scenery!

(I know none of this is new info, but I am just so thrilled I had to tell someone who would understand!!! :) )
I'm really envious of you! I have to wait until May to take delivery of my FJR. And now, winter is coming on! I'll be a basket case by spring. :dribble:

I agree. When I started riding, I could go for 7 or 8 hours at a time. Since then, through all the bikes I've owned, I havent found that passion again--- until now. I spent 6 hours last Saturday in the saddle. I could have gone further but my wife had commitments back home. It sure feels good to want to be out on the thing.

I love Louisville-- and if I ever get down, (by bike, of course) I'd love to ride.

Well there's a few of us floating around here in KY land. Come spring we should setup a ride and get some of us out there together.

Good fun.

Just be respectful of that throttle. She has a lot to offer. :)

Ditto on this machine as a keeper. I've owned mine four seasons and had it stolen during season #3. It was totalled (cosmetically) so I bought it back from the insurance company and had it restored. I did so because this is the bike for me, now. I have others, but this is the MAIN RIDE. I wondered, after the insurance company totalled it, what I would replace it with. I thought...another FJR!; so it may as well be this one, despite the lost value due to a salvage title. I plan to keep it indefinitely, so that title issue mattered almost not at all. It is great in the mountain twisties out here in the Northern Rockies. I ride with friends on Bandits, R-1s, CBRXXs, FZ1s and while these bikes should smoke the FJR, these riders (far less experienced) can't do it to me on the FJR - and that's with my pillion along. I routinely do 300-400-mile days, and have done 540 in an all-day, heavy crosswind in New Mexico. The bike will quite easily accomodate two of us for 6-7 days of travel. Then we stop and do laundry and go some more. Yeah, its a commuter, a sportbike, a tourer... all around the best machine I've ever owned. And tons of fun. It is proving bullet-proof too and very low maintenance, getting 42-48 mpg. How can you beat that? And I paid $9,000 cash when it was six months old and had 1,300 miles! Incidentally, my first Yamaha since 1982, all Honda in between. Yep, a keeper indeed.

Big Sky

Welcome ! You'll find the bike gets even better the longer you ride it. I corner way better now than when I got it (because I came from a cruiser maybe ??).

I got my first ticket within an hour of picking up the bike. It was a town speed trap, LEO got me for 35 in a 25. Remember to be aware of your surroundings because the FJR will do whatever you ask of it speed wise.

Seating position is much more comfortable for me than the Royal Star cruiser, my only whine was the seat (since fixed), but that's pretty normal from what I understand.

Yesterday was my first real ride on my newly aquired 04 ABS...I know none of this is new info, but I am just so thrilled I had to tell someone who would understand!!! :) )
Keith: Re: your '04A...that was the year/model bike that my riding buddy Steve pulled up to my front door six months ago and said, "Hey, Lee! I had my BMW LT in the shop today, and in the showroom they had this used 2004 Yamaha FJR1300, so I traded my LT for it, straight across." (This type of behavior is typical of Steve.) He let me ride the FJR up and down the street. Like you, Keith, it was love at first ride. Fast forward 4 months and I'm riding my very own ('06) FJR. Thrilling is sometimes both contagious and understandable. :) Enjoy!

Well done Keith. My bike is a 2001 which I am happy with, but I did ride the 2006 recently which I would buy just for the brakes. Someone described them as being like the "Hand of God" when the big fella wants you to stop.