First solo ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
Finally, I’ve run out of excuses as to why I don’t ride by myself. Commuting, of course, doesn’t count. Today, I took a turn through the twisties, riding 120 miles round trip for a burger and coffee. With a bike like the FJR, it just begs to be ridden rather than sit in the garage. Today, I took up the bike's offer of a fun way to spend a Monday morning.

Since I got back into riding, about four years ago, I’ve only ever ridden in the wake of my husband, mentor, riding partner and best friend. He’s a skilled, experienced rider and has an in-built sense of direction. Who better to follow? Now and again, I’ve hinted about trying a spell in the lead, but it wasn’t to be.

Today, while he was at work, I got suited up in the new leathers, put in the new ear plugs, and switched on the new XM radio.

The freeway part was easy – just like going to work but south instead of north, and no obligatory off ramp. I hate that part about riding to work – having to take the off ramp when I want to keep riding!

Now onto the infamous Ortega Highway. I chose a road that I know pretty well, since the potential for getting lost was high. My resolution was to stay pretty close to the speed limits (more or less). I’d never live down getting a ticket today and also there were some sprinkles of rain peppering the ground.

The road begins with a long, boring, residential stretch at a long, boring 40mph but that’s a favorite place for the black and whites to score unsuspecting riders. As soon as the gentle curves began, the two cars in front of me caught up with a gravel truck. With a straightaway coming up, I could take all three but it would have to be a very aggressive maneuver to get around before the next turn. I decided against it. Time and place, and all that. Today was all about gentle, smooth, skill building.

The slow truck turned off, thankfully, leaving just the three of us but Mr. Black car was out to see the sights at his own pace. I was very well behaved, and stayed behind, keeping a safe distance and carefully watching my line through the curves. Our pace was such that even on the downhill parts, I tapped my brake perhaps once.

On the tighter turns I experimented with sliding off the seat a little. I don’t know whether the result was mental, physical or both. The turn got a whole lot easier. I was cruising through at around 10-15mph over the advisory speed and catching the cars, despite the generous gap I’d left on the straighter parts of the road. This was fun. Instead of getting annoyed with Mr. Black car’s pace, I took the opportunity to concentrate on my form without worrying about speed.

At the bottom of the hill, I took a break and wrapped my chilled hands around a cup of coffee before turning around and doing it all over again, in the other direction.

This time, I had the road to myself. I tried more moving around on the seat and liked the results. Lest you think I’m close to dragging a knee, no way. The movement was very slight – I’m a rookie at this remember. It might well have been that the movement allowed me to relax instead of tense up, and counter steer effortlessly. Previously, I’d been nervous about consciously counter steering. Maybe the butt shifting distracted me a little but whatever, it worked and my lines were smoother.

Most of all, I left the Ortega with a feeling of control, rather than the white knuckle experiences on my cruiser. This time, I knew that I was going to make each turn, well within my own lane, with ease. AND, what corrections to make if I made the mistake of taking my eyes off the line for a moment. I rode at a speed that I could control, and bring the bike upright to brake if needed. Who knows what is around that next turn?

I feel as though I took a big step forwards today. Motorcycling is about continuous learning and today, I started the next chapter of the book.

Very Cool! I was taking it easy down Mount Howell Road on Sunday and I rode "the pace" behind a BMW R1150R that I caught up to. I didn't want to push the guy so I just hung back on the straights and caught him on the turns.

Sometimes I feel like I'm making the person feel worse than if I just hung back, but if we have to share the road I get my fun too!

I enjoy reading about people discovering riding, or new aspects of it. I'm happy for you!

I really shouldn't read post like that.....Its depressing when I look out my window and see that it is still snowing.

Nice ride; nice report. I was with you all the time. It's the first time I've ridden in CA. Wasn't that great here in IN today. Yep, I took my '06 Silverado for todays 'ride'. Thx for the report, SP.

Dave in IN :)

Nice write up! I felt like I was right behind you on my bike. I don't have a bike right now, I sold my last one and I'm waiting on the 06 next month. Thanks for taking me on your ride with you, it sounded and felt nice and relaxing.

I do probably 90% of my riding alone. My pace, my rules, my ride. Well, not completely alone. and no, I'm not gonna start up with the "I ride with Jesus" stuff...
Jesus.jpg
:D

Nope, I talk to the bike.

I've always enjoyed the comparison some make of motorcyclists to cowboys, rugged individualists and all that happy crap, so I've always thought of my bikes as my horsies. Now hold on a minute. Think about it. Day of a ride, make sure he wakes up nicely, you saddle 'im up, check his vitals, feed and water, and head on out. During the day, his needs are just as vital as are yours-deny him and you go nowhere. Come the evening, he gets settled into his own spot, comfortable, fed and watered (well, polished, more by some than others, but hey..) and left with a appreciative pat on the headstock,

a thanks for another special day together. Hmmmmm.... :unsure:

Anyway, you get the idea. I've always held that when out with my pal, I'm never alone-we see the sunsets and sunrises, the gawdalmighty speed runs, the horrors of Chi-town rush hours, the rain, snow, beauty and ugliness of days on the road together, like the pals we are. Sooooo, I've never been alone, just with someone who doesn't say a lot, but when he does, I tell him to STFU and I roll the throttle and we be gone little doggie...... :D

Nice story there Metal Bird, enjoy those rides with your best pal there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you get that photo? This is the first picture I've seen of Christ the King where nobody was standing in front of Him with their arms outstreched like the statue.

OK, I just to have to chime in here. Please take no offense to this...just trying to look out for you. Seriously.

I'm a bit concerned for you. First time out alone? First time practicing leaning? First time not white knuckling? Uhh..shouldn't these skills already be fine tuned, or at least just tuned before hopping on something as big and powerful as an FJR? Or maybe I'm completely out of line?

I'm not trying to cause a stir..just genuinely concerned that you may be on the wrong motorcycle or need more training to be proficient. However, I am sure that if I was still practicing how to ride that I would be on a much smaller bike.

How long have you been riding? Or should I say how many miles have you racked up thus far?

Go ahead and bash guys and gals. I'll take the heat to save a riders arse any day.

OK, I just to have to chime in here. Please take no offense to this...just trying to look out for you. Seriously.
I'm a bit concerned for you. First time out alone? First time practicing leaning? First time not white knuckling? Uhh..shouldn't these skills already be fine tuned, or at least just tuned before hopping on something as big and powerful as an FJR? Or maybe I'm completely out of line?

I'm not trying to cause a stir..just genuinely concerned that you may be on the wrong motorcycle or need more training to be proficient. However, I am sure that if I was still practicing how to ride that I would be on a much smaller bike.

How long have you been riding? Or should I say how many miles have you racked up thus far?

Go ahead and bash guys and gals. I'll take the heat to save a riders arse any day.
Thanks for your concern, which I took in the spirit intended.

I learned to ride as a child then came back to riding about 4yrs ago, on a cruiser. I did about 25K miles on a couple of cruisers then got the FJR a few months ago. I have about 7K miles on it.

With the exception of commuting, all my riding is done following my husband's lead. That has worked for both of us until now. He likes to be protective, and take care of me when we ride together. As my skills improve, I want to stretch my comfort zone but within safe limits.

The leaning I described is the transition from cruiser to FJR, and the reason I got a sportier bike. Leaning the cruiser was scary because things scraped and the bike didn't seem to like the twisties very much. (Probably more due to the rider than the bike). The FJR is much easier to ride BUT I have a healthy respect for the beast.

I trust that I have enough experience to treat the FJR with the respect it deserves, as I build my skills. While it is an extremely powerful bike, it can be ridden gently as road conditions dictate.

Silver P ;congratulations for getting back into biking and a very good report for your solo ride. Takes some self courage to ride on your own. and it is fun riding with a partner and fun having a mentor to help you with developing your skills.

You got the perfect bike for needs all you need is seat time.

Jusst remember what grasshopper would say when you get on that bike and go for a ride by yourself. does not the water begin a new journey when it goes under the bridge? And you need to be come one with the bike and you will ride like the wind in no time.... ... :clap:

Way to go! Welcome to the 21st century! Now ease your hubby into it by taking the lead and making him follow. Take turns.

Silver Penguin,

That was a lovely write up. It's nice to read that someone stays within their limits rather than all the bragadoccio that fills the cyber moto world.

Shifting around on the seat and hanging off to varying degrees I find makes the FJR riding experience all the more rewarding. I wasn't used to it after my old and much lighter beemer which only took the flicker of a thought to make it go round the bend. I too have learned that canting my body forward, applying pressure to the inside peg and hanging off slightly makes the Feejer carve a beautiful arc in total control.

Riding at THE PACE is, at the end of the day, a much more satisfying experience than constantly being on guard for obstacles, cops, deer, tractors, sand, salt and decreasing radius bends while blasting from one straight to hard braking at the next corner. And you get to your destination at roughly the same time too!

Keep up the safe riding, stay within your limits, and especially enjoy the freedom of your own company :angel: