First Time at the Drag Strip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to bet that you would get better 1/4 times without the Holeshots.
My goal is to eventually add aftermarket slip-ons to the Holeshot headers and get a custom PCIII fuel map tuned for my bike, so the Holeshot headers are on for good now (plus I already cut off the lower mounts for the stock headers to make room for the Holeshot headers; GENII FJRs are a bit different than GENI in that area under the bike and require some modification to fit the Holeshots). I hope my final configuration will give some mid-range improvements.

"It also lowers the expectations of spectators :) "

Makes 'em a sleeper! I had a sticker on the back of my WRX that said "You just got beat by a WAGON!"

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! 45 minutes away and I never even knew it was there. Guess I'll have to check out the next time they offer this, Just might give ya a run fer yer money junior.

Then again with me at 200 plus, I think ya might just have an advantage....

:jester:

Sounds like you had a great time on the strip. I have never been down the 1/4 mile track on a bike but I have done plenty of passes in a 4 wheeled vehicle. I don't know if I have big enough stones to do the bike thing. I never worried about my reaction time unless I was racing heads up with the guy in the other lane. I concentrated on my launch technique and my times got much better much quicker. I am sure you are aware the clock doesn't start until you start to move.

Maybe someday when I get around to buying full leathers I will take a few passes down the track.

James

That's you :clapping:

Sounds like you're running in the old "pure stock" class. They allowed removal of the air filter and hub caps. Saw (and drove) a lot of four door cars with "tena toppers" in those days.

Wish we could get the old strip reopened down here.

Damn! 45 minutes away and I never even knew it was there. Guess I'll have to check out the next time they offer this.
I think every Saturday and Sunday is a "test & tune" day. I believe it ran from noon till 4:00pm, but I would give 'em a call to get an accurate schedule.

Modified original post to include another video of me making a pass with my brother on his Kawasaki Ninja 250:

• 6'0"
  • 135lbs + gear
Seriously? Is that even possible? Or did you have something surgically removed to lighten up?
I just double-checked. As of right now, I'm 6'0" and 132.5lbs (and I just had a nice big steak dinner). I think my high metabolism is probably the best performance mod I have :)

So, just how does a pickle become useless? :unsure:

It appears you had great fun! I've 'staged' the 06 on some of my backroads and wrung it out, but no clocks for time to prove fact, just seat of the pants stuff.

I'm not to sure about the power shifting though.. Don't get me wrong, love to do it, but it will decrease tranny/shift fork life.

Then again, phuck it, enjoy the ride and have fun while you can! :rolleyes:

Great post and Thanks!

I hope someone with an AE does a post on this subject. Having owned both I don't think the AE can even come close to these times, sure would like to know.

Great times! I loved taking my street bike to the drag strip. I was running down the track and getting back in line over and over again. My buddy had to tell me to chill out a little in between a group of runs to make it easier on the bike. IMHO, work on your 60ft times. Reaction time is good if you're racing someone else, but the 60ft times can make or break a run. Try to get them under 1.6 seconds and you will see your 1/4 mile times drop like a rock.

The vid with your bro on the ninja 250 was too funny. What was his time? I thought he was crashed near the end of the vid because he took so long to get back in the frame. Very cool. I will have to see if there is any 250 riders who what to race for "pinks".

Damned not bad at all. I watch the show pass time and a guy did a run on a Zrex. You didn't quite beat him as he did an 11.3 but that is a LOT better than I thought these would do seeing how you had the bags on also!

The vid with your bro on the ninja 250 was too funny. What was his time? I thought he was crashed near the end of the vid because he took so long to get back in the frame. Very cool. I will have to see if there is any 250 riders who what to race for "pinks".
We all got a good laugh out of that video too. His best time was 16.365s @ 77.33mph. It'll be interesting to see how his times improve after he puts an exhaust system and a jet kit on the bike.

... that is a LOT better than I thought these would do seeing how you had the bags on also!
A google search finds a few claimed 1/4 mile times for the FJR such as 10.93s and 11.02s. I wonder how much of the difference between those times and mine can be attributed to the bags and how much is just rider skill.

A google search finds a few claimed 1/4 mile times for the FJR such as 10.93s and 11.02s. I wonder how much of the difference between those times and mine can be attributed to the bags and how much is just rider skill.
Nearly all magazine quoted 1/4 mile times are 'adjusted' for altitude and reaction times and shit. Basically, perfect theoretical conditions. Take them with a grain of salt.

My favourite 'race' story on the FJR is a buddy of mine with a SERIOUSLY breathed on HD. We turn left at a set of lights out on the hwy. Rode is wide open and not a car in site. He looks at me, grins and punches it. So he's got the jump on me, pffft.. Like I'm worried. He bangs a gear and then I see him look how far back I am.

Keep in mind, other than shifting into second and let the revs come up a bit, I haven't punched the FJR yet.

Okay, by this point he's got about 200 feet on me. I'm at about 6000 grand in 2nd.

Hit it! Front end power lifts...

I remember looking down at the speedometer as it swept past 240km/h and the road was starting to narrow in on itself pretty nicely. So I got on the brakes. We had to take an off ramp and it was approaching really fast. He was WAY WAY WAY! back behind me and still on it. I was going 20km/h (no typo, 20) and was about to go past the ramp when he finally caught up.

We stop at the next set of lights, and I didn't say a word.

He said "Shut the **** up!"

It also lowers the expectations of spectators :)
LMAO You've got a point there. I can just see the crowd now...'WTF is he doing....?" :)
That is pretty funny - hell, I'm inspired to go down the track with the trunk on too!! Although I know I've read somewhere not to exceed some ridiculously low speed with it on - like 80 mph or something. Oh, and 20 passes for $25 - what a bargain!! I race bracket nights for $15 and I'm lucky to get 6 or 7 passes in 5 hours!