Firstgear 90 Watt Heated Jacket Liner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
So I wonder what 'generation' this liner is?

<clicky>

I doubt it's the new gen4 liner as they retail out at $235..

Maybe a gen3 that's retaining for $200?

Anyone have experience with either of these units?

Gen4 worth the extra moola or not really?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Gen 4 from Warm and Safe, who I believe is the manuf. for Firstgear but could be the other way around. Not absolutely sure. But after about a year of dealing with the defective wireless controller with "warm and safe" the system works great now. at 30 degrees I am still warm but getting close to the threshold. Heated gloves are excellent. I could not ride to work almost year round without this setup. My opinion.

look at the warm and safe website and there is a discount that can be had when you register as a member of a forum or club I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
DC,

I have the Warm N Safe 90 watt jacket and gloves which I won't leave home without. Work great and when I had a minor issue with a wire in one of the gloves irritating my finger, Mike at Warm N Safe exchanged it right away and followed up later to assure I was happy. Top notch product and customer service!

DC,

I have the Warm N Safe 90 watt jacket and gloves which I won't leave home without. Work great and when I had a minor issue with a wire in one of the gloves irritating my finger, Mike at Warm N Safe exchanged it right away and followed up later to assure I was happy. Top notch product and customer service!
Great to hear. Mike said no real heating difference between gen3 and gen4 but the gen4 has reflective stripes should you wear the liner at night without jacket.

I just bought at Warm & Safe yesterday. The owner is a great guy and we chatted a while on the phone. First, the WnS Gen 4 liner has a list price of $235. IF you register an account on the site and put in your affiliation with ADV forums, the price becomes $187 for the Gen4 liner. Great way to go.

The FirstGear liner being sold at FirstGear cycle store and the Motorcycle Superstore has a windproof, water resistant shell and stretch panels like the WnS Generation 4, BUT the wires are still relatively large and very noticeable. The WnS Generation 4 uses a different carbon fiber heating system with no noticeable wires and faster heat. Also, the controllers sold directly by WnS are not the Chinese knockoffs being sold by FirstGear but are a far superior unit, and you have the option of using a wireless remote controller.

Mine should be delivered later today or tomorrow and I'll do a review. I tried on the FirstGear and Gerbings this week. I have to say don't do business with Gerbing. They have fully outsourced all their stuff to China and the controllers are inferior. Also, much of their design is a ripoff of WnS but poorly implemented due to the Chinese outsourcing. FirstGear and Powerlet are a step up but are still being manufactured in China. Dave the owner of WnS was unable to procure a U.S. manufacturer, but outsources to Thailand and feels the product is better and less likely to be ripped off and copied.

Just wanted to add, Warm and Safe liners come in regular and tall sizes, and that really tore it for me. Tall sizes are 2-inches longer in the torso, and an inch more in the sleeves. That works well for me, since I have a relatively long torso and got short-changed on inseam length in the legs. There is no Tall option with the FirstGear stuff. I tried on Gerbings and couldn't tell the difference between the regular and tall, and holding the jackets back to back there was not length difference.

I just bought at Warm & Safe yesterday. The owner is a great guy and we chatted a while on the phone. First, the WnS Gen 4 liner has a list price of $235. IF you register an account on the site and put in your affiliation with ADV forums, the price becomes $187 for the Gen4 liner. Great way to go.

The FirstGear liner being sold at FirstGear cycle store and the Motorcycle Superstore has a windproof, water resistant shell and stretch panels like the WnS Generation 4, BUT the wires are still relatively large and very noticeable. The WnS Generation 4 uses a different carbon fiber heating system with no noticeable wires and faster heat. Also, the controllers sold directly by WnS are not the Chinese knockoffs being sold by FirstGear but are a far superior unit, and you have the option of using a wireless remote controller.

Mine should be delivered later today or tomorrow and I'll do a review. I tried on the FirstGear and Gerbings this week. I have to say don't do business with Gerbing. They have fully outsourced all their stuff to China and the controllers are inferior. Also, much of their design is a ripoff of WnS but poorly implemented due to the Chinese outsourcing. FirstGear and Powerlet are a step up but are still being manufactured in China. Dave the owner of WnS was unable to procure a U.S. manufacturer, but outsources to Thailand and feels the product is better and less likely to be ripped off and copied.
Uhoh :blink: I've been calling him Mike all morning!
Thanks for the update TomInCa - be sure to take on 0200 ride Saturday and let me if you need the heated pants too? :p

Mike is correct. My CRS is in full glory this morning.

Enjoy the gear. I don't think you can do any better. Mike is not a happy camper about G****g stealing his designs, and outsourcing the manufacturing. Hopefully that company gets what it deserves.