Fixing flats on the road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I need to add a higher rated fuse to the outlet in the glove box for a compressor to work? preparing for a long trip and I would like to add a small compressor for emergencies.

Thanks for posting this video. I've been carrying a kit for awhile but was dreading having to use it since the directions were vague. This video splains it all! Thanks again.
JimO
She can fix tires on chops that have been shot, but can't oil a fukkin door hinge? Or do ya think she's a fan of late night Vincent Price flicks? :rolleyes:

Aw, where the hell am I gonna find latex gloves out in the middle of nowhere??!?!?!??!
I carry a sticky string kit and the guts of a tiny Walmart compressor, but fortunately have never had to use it except at home, and that twice.
Hey, don't forget the camera & tripod so you can post it on Youtube!

Do I need to add a higher rated fuse to the outlet in the glove box for a compressor to work? preparing for a long trip and I would like to add a small compressor for emergencies.
If the compressor blows that fuse a bigger fuse is not a good idea, as the wiring is probably not up to higher current loads. Install another socket with good wire and bigger fuse, or hard-wire the compressor to the battery, using its own fuse.

If the compressor blows that fuse a bigger fuse is not a good idea, as the wiring is probably not up to higher current loads. Install another socket with good wire and bigger fuse, or hard-wire the compressor to the battery, using its own fuse.

+1 - for a couple of reasons.

The wiring gauge may be too small to support the current draw of the pump.

That circuit is fed by the same high current contacts in the ignition switch that have been known to fail.

Do you really want to have to have the ignition turned on to run the pump?

Instead, buy and install a battery tender cable directly from the battery terminals.

They come with the required fused socket and (probably) a 3 amp fuse installed.

But they are made from large enough gauge wire that you can put whatever you need in it for the pump (if 3a is too small).

In addition to the pump, you'll find that you can use it for a battery tender (well, duh) or powering various electrical farkles.

I have a battery tender plug attached already. I guess the small compressors won't have the same plug so I might as well install a new power outlet while I'm at it.

Thanks again!

I have a battery tender plug attached already. I guess the small compressors won't have the same plug so I might as well install a new power outlet while I'm at it.Thanks again!

Actually, most of them do have that kind of plug. It's called an SAE plug.

And for those that don't you can always get an adapter.

After unfortunatley having a few flats myself, I have concluded that a string plug with rubber cement is the best way to get home, I have tried a expensive mushroom plug kit that kept losing air or popping out all together (even after wasting many plugs experimenting on a dead tire) I currently have a string plug in a honda with virtually new Avons on it, and I have put about 2k more miles on them since the repair with no problems ( as an experiment ) As far as the video is concerned... I found it funny the kid put the correct tool down several times ( the sidecutters ) and always picked them back up to continue extracting the screw, I have found that side cutters are a great tool for extracting screws out of just about anything :) , however is would have been smarter to let the air out of the tire to allow more glue to penetrate the tires wound.

Has anyone tried a spark plug air hose on a fjr to fill a tire?

" . . . Everyone should know how to do it on the side of the road.....and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty . . ."

Kinda surprised Tyler and/or Barb haven't jumped onto this thread, after that comment. . . :p

" . . . I found it funny the kid put the correct tool down several times ( the sidecutters ) and always picked them back up to continue extracting the screw, I have found that side cutters are a great tool for extracting screws out of just about anything :) . . ."

I was sorta thinkin' Phillips screwdriver, myself.

From your linked post:

That's odd....usually avons avoid nails and what-not on the road. My avons never picked anything up. Then again, you are in the UK. Not sure what that says bout the UK but, whatever.............
". . . possibly our screws are sharper than yours?

Otherwise, it's that you've got more sense than to ride over one of your own ..."
I was just wondering, when you take out an English screw, do you turn it to the left, or the right? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
...I was just wondering, when you take out an English screw, do you turn it to the left, or the right? :lol:
Let's put it this way. Here in the UK, we've been screwing for many, many years before you in the US, so this is something you continued from our experience.

The fact that you drive on the other side of the road is simply an aberration, your wide open spaces meant you didn't need a "rule of the road", hence the old lawless west.

Instant colonial history, by mcatrophy. You're welcome.

I have a battery tender plug attached already. I guess the small compressors won't have the same plug so I might as well install a new power outlet while I'm at it.Thanks again!

Actually, most of them do have that kind of plug. It's called an SAE plug.

And for those that don't you can always get an adapter.
Alternatively, you can go to Radioshack and get a 10 amp fused 12VDC plug and tie it directly into the battery posts. it even comes with a little rubber cover :)

As for plugging tires, I have used the "gummy worms" on my bike once and my car twice; I didnt use the vulcanizing compound and the gummy worms worked great.

Has anyone tried a spark plug air hose on a fjr to fill a tire?
That's a dirt bike & Jeep item. It'd take too long to get to the plugs on the FJR and is far easier to just have a simple little compressor aboard. Threads about such things usually degrade into the NEPRT by getting into the potential effects of fuel vapor from the engine in your tires.