FJ09 trademark application filed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me what the big difference is between an FZ-1 and FZ-09? I've been thinking I may want an FZ-09, then I'm thinking, maybe just go with the FZ-1...what's the big diff?

, but I know how you guys love the shaft.
Might want to word that differently.
laugh.png

Can someone tell me what the big difference is between an FZ-1 and FZ-09? I've been thinking I may want an FZ-09, then I'm thinking, maybe just go with the FZ-1...what's the big diff?
About $3,000.

A LOT.

I don't have the time to go over all the differences right now but they ate two different beasts. Regardless of what I think, the best thing you can do is ride (demo) both and find out for yourself.

A LOT.

I don't have the time to go over all the differences right now but they ate two different beasts. Regardless of what I think, the best thing you can do is ride (demo) both and find out for yourself.
Okay, all I need to do is find that SC dealer to let me demo both bikes this summer. I'm sure that will happen. :)

I had a lot of "British" issues with my 2006 Sprint 1050.

Rotting rubber all over the bike in a year and a half.

Plastic gas tank bubbeling up under the paint.

No start when hot problem (turned out to be a bad clutch spring) replaced with a "sprag" clutch under warranty

loooong crank when cold.

Broken suspension bolt recall.

Ridiculously difficult to take the seat on/off

Quite a few other stuff but I don't remember at the moment

1050 motor was smooth as silk though....best thing about the bike.

In 2007, I went to the demo day at the local Triumph dealer. Rode the Tiger, Rocket III, S3, and the Sprint. Have to say, three of those bikes excited me, and one left me yawning and looking for a different bike. That boring bike was the Sprint.

The FZ09 is a few inches shorter and a few inches lower than the FZ1, though seat height and ground clearance are the same. It holds less gas, but gets better mileage. I suspect the rake is different, but can't find the specs to verify. Overall it feels and looks a lot smaller. I haven't ridden either, but I would expect the FZ09 to be more sporty.

Last edited by a moderator:
A LOT.

Lets let modern intarwebs technology do the work for us:

Yamaha's Comparison of FZ1 to FZ-09 models

A few of the differences:

4 cylinder vs 3 cylinder engine (no performance specs available)

FZ1 has larger front brake discs

FZ1 has 2mm larger diameter fork

FZ-09 has 0.3" more front fork travel

FZ1 has larger fuel capacity (4.8 vs 3.7)

FZ-09 gets better fuel mileage (44 vs 35 mpg)

FZ1 has slightly better theoretical range (168 miles vs 162.8)

FZ1 is bigger (47.4"H x 84.3"L vs. 44.7"H x 81.7"L)

The biggest ones:

FZ-09 is considerably lighter (414lbs vs 487 lbs curb weights)

FZ-09 costs $2800 less.

I guess if I was going to tour on one or the other, I would hook bags to an FZ-1 vs an FZ-09...but if I just want a mountain day rider (which I do), or a quick overnight trip rider, I would select the FZ-09...which it sounds like I will. The only thing that would hold me back from buying one, is if there are sniffs that they would develop an ST type model of the FZ-09 with a larger tank.

I overheard a sales rep at a dealer telling an interested party that he was riding the FZ09 in third at 130 kph (~ 80 mph) and you can pull a wheelie by cracking the throttle....... I immediately decided that particular bike was not for me. Put that mill in something longer and a bit heavier and we might have something............

I've ridden an FZ-09 and while it's definitely a fast and fun bike, it's no out of control fire breathing dragon. It might wheelie at 80 but you'd have to work at it a bit. It feels plenty stable and planted at any speed.

Just when I thought I was settled on the FZ-09,they go and announce this news.

I'm firmly back in the wait and see camp now.