FJ09 trademark application filed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Nice find. It's an awesome engine. Would be great in a lightweight sport- tourer!
Would you please get right on this, Scooty?

I'm patiently waiting .....
rolleyes.gif

My guess? A lightweight sport-tourer light on the amenities, and high on the value.

I wouldn't expect to see most of the bling like on the FJR, but rather back to basics performance and value.

On the other hand, the entire "article" is so void of particulars as to be useless.

Want a Sport Tourer? Buy an FJR.

Want something in between? Buy a Tenere.

Seriously, what would a lightweight, 3 cylinder, under equipped sport tourer provide? We already have the FZ1. Throw a couple of saddle bags and a small windshield on it....

Jeebus,,, can't wait for Spring

BMW tried that with the ST800. It was a great bike to run around on for a couple days, but it failed pretty miserably and was replaced with some other version of the bike in an 800 parallel.

How's the Ninja 1000 selling? Just by the write-ups I've seen, it is bad ass. 1000cc, hard bags, electric windshield and I think available ABS. I haven't seen one yet.

Now, there's an FZ1, FZ8, FZ6, and FZ09. Holy Hell!

Now, there's an FZ1, FZ8, FZ6, and FZ09. Holy Hell!
Mama is moving things around. The FZ8 is dropped from the 2014 model lineup it seems, and the FZ6 has been replaced by the weird FZ6R.

Actually, we have a thread going on in the Two Wheeled Texans forum of folks clamoring for a light weight sport tourer. Seems folks want their cake and be able to eat it too. Looking for a sub 500 pound touring bike.

I say meh. As an owner of 600cc sport bikes for years I've come to like that added power when I twist the grips. Miss Piggy is big boned but she handles herself well and goes pretty fast when she needs to.

Of course, with the success of Honda's VFR over the years, I can see that Yamaha could use this new engine to produce a real VFR killer for sure. Whatever happens, its sure going to be interesting and I look forward to riding one when the demo truck comes to town!

An FJ-09 would be very interesting to me. 3 cylinder engines have better primary balance and are intrinsically smoother than any inline 4. An engine tuned for higher rpm (to make up for less torque) it would of course have a 6 speed gear box.

Assuming it would be sub 500 lbs would mean a lot in the sport side of the ST equation. For those people that think FJRs are sporty, by losing 150 lbs of bike weight (equivalent to dropping a passenger off) you would be in heaven. I would expect a mid-sized ST bike like this to appeal to people who seldom ride 2-up or hyper long distances, and who prefer the curvier roads over the interstates. Like I said... this would be interesting to me.
wink.png

The one thing that would be a deal breaker for a lot of FJR owners is, it would most likely be chain drive. Wouldn't bother me all that much, but I know how you guys love the shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is a market for a mid-size sport touring bike. There are a lot of people who are small enough that they don't need a full sized FJR and have trouble handling the weight. It would also make a nice commuter bike with luggage to carry whatever is needed and weather protection to keep the suit clean and dry. I would expect the side cases to be exactly the same ones we get on the FJR.

What should it have? It's gotta have a bigger tank, at least 5.5 gallons, 6+ would be better. Cruise control? Heated grips? ABS? Linked brakes? Fully adjustable suspension? ES? Fancy multi screen dash? 1/2 or full fairing? Adjustable (motorized?) screen? Shaft drive?

Current FZ 09 is 220+lbs and $7,900 less than an FJR so Yamaha has a lot to work with as far as cost vs. features vs. weight.

How's the Ninja 1000 selling? Just by the write-ups I've seen, it is bad ass. 1000cc, hard bags, electric windshield and I think available ABS. I haven't seen one yet.
I saw that Ninja 1000 at the recent bike show here, and it is both perty and bad-ass..... they've fixed it up for 2014 to have better low end driveability. A bit too sporty perhaps for long distance, but very nice........ the only thing I wasn't all drooling over was the shape of the panniers at the rear. A bit funky, but hey, still cool.

What should it have? It's gotta have a bigger tank, at least 5.5 gallons, 6+ would be better. Cruise control? Heated grips? ABS? Linked brakes? Fully adjustable suspension? ES? Fancy multi screen dash? 1/2 or full fairing? Adjustable (motorized?) screen? Shaft drive?
Current FZ 09 is 220+lbs and $7,900 less than an FJR so Yamaha has a lot to work with as far as cost vs. features vs. weight.
I'd look for a fairing and fixed windscreen along with the FJR style bags and a bigger fuel tank. None of the other stuff. The few things I mentioned will bring the price up too much already.

On the other hand, the entire "article" is so void of particulars as to be useless.
Want a Sport Tourer? Buy an FJR.

Want something in between? Buy a Tenere.

Seriously, what would a lightweight, 3 cylinder, under equipped sport tourer provide? We already have the FZ1. Throw a couple of saddle bags and a small windshield on it....

Jeebus,,, can't wait for Spring
I'm so glad I don't consider my 08 "under equipped" because it doesn't have electronic suspension, cruise control, or traction control. I would certainly be interested in a "under equipped" light sport tourer based on the FZ 09 triple at a reasonable price point. I suspect others would be too.