FJR 1300 Comparison To Sports Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old saying is: There are two types of riders, those that ride purely to ride and those that ride to tour. If you go out for nothing more than to rip that bike through the corners and get a kick in the pants from the adrenalin rush of power wheelies out of a left hander and then at the end of the day you couldn't recall a single landmark, then you ride to ride. For these guys only a sport bike will do and when you ride like that you will appreciate the ergos of the bike because anything less is a compromise of speed and handling for comfort.

If you ride for any other reason I'd call you a touring rider. Touring riders may blast a canyon once in a while but they also enjoy a certain level of comfort, like to carry things with them once in a while, and usually remember where they've been. Some touring riders also like to be seen on what they think are "Cool bikes", these guys are usually on cruisers but not always. I call them posers but that may be too harsh because I don't mean it in a derogatory way.

We all like "Cool bikes" but for some that's the only reason to ride, Those guys are true posers. I've been riding for 35 years and I can't find a single reason besides the "Cool" factor to ride a cruiser... These guys still fit into the touring category but are not what I would call true touring riders. You've all seen them, 35 bikes going down the road on a Sunday afternoon in formation about 10 miles an hour under the speed limit with a line of minivans and motorhomes behind them because they're holding up traffic... Hey, I say more power to them if that's what they like. I have no problem with "riding to look cool."

It all comes down to what floats your boat, I don't think we should disrespect others for their choices and I think its ok to have your own style and want to show it.

But comparing a sport bike to an FJR is like comparing a track prepped Porsche to a station wagon, OK maybe a fast cool station wagon like a Dodge magnum. But they are just not the same and you ride them for different purposes.

Did I ramble too much?

Hi. Haven't posted in a while but thought I'd throw in here. I currently have an 07 CBR600. I can honestly say this is a temporary ownership. Been on it for 4000 miles now of mostly commuting. It is very tolerable for about the first 40 miles. I've had a few days to go out and play with it but here in Illinois it is hard to find a smooth enough and/or clean enough road to bother carving what corners you can find. There's so much humanity around me anymore that having all that thrust is rather pointless. Also, I did two grueling 300+ days on the bike a couple months back and while my back was fine, my knees, leg muscles, and nether regions were agonizing. Have to do it with a backpack too. I missed my Nighthawk for this ride. Had a corbin on it and had no problems going through 3 tanks a day on it (bout 550 miles). I still want the Feej, badly. Some day. Until then I'll rework the 600 seat over the winter. Exercise will assist greatly in the painful knee and glute areas, that much I know from expeience, but to have a road bike that fills all the voids some day will be a treat.

Stick with the FJR

For me, at 6'8" 265 pounds... my FJR is "flickable" I have no trouble slinging it through the curves. A 600cc sport bike feels sluggish at launch with my weight pressing it into the pavement, and really doesn't pull as hard as the FJR until you get the 600's revs higher than the redline on the FJR. I'm sure that a liter bike would knock my socks off, and probably get me killed :dribble: My FJR is the all around best motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden.

This thread is a stellar example of why a guy needs more than one bike. If you bought a sport bike to commute, dude, you bought the wrong bike (and you probably don't get it)

That's ok, it took me years to really understand the real purpose for a sportbike. Start doing track days and many of us soon decide to never ride one on the street again - they are just that good at their intended design! (and frankly not so good at most other types of riding)

I personally think a sportbike is a bad idea for an only bike but irreplaceable for weekend blasts in the twisties or on a track. My FJR is an absolute pig compared to my 1098.

i don't know if i would consider the fjr a ferrari of motorcycles. i was thinking more of a porsche 928 or a bmw m5? i mean, very, very fast, holds its own in the corners, nice and comfy, but when push comes to shove, is a little heavy to compete with the dedicated sportbikes/sports cars.

howzat?

dean

cincinnati

So, would one choose a crotch rocket for even more performance? Is the difference that large?
Thanks!

Yes. For all it's performance fun, the FJR is still a large heavy "touring" bike. It is simply power to weight ratios and mass here.

"crotch rockets" are lighter, and thus potentialy faster. Less mass means faster thru the turns...(yes these are general statements)

If a Harley is an old pick up truck , and a FJR is a Ferrarri, then a liter class pure sport bike is a formula one car...

Faster is faster, your taste for speed seems to be satisfied with the FJR, but take a ride on a R1 or something and the diffrence will be quickly appearent.

KM

i don't know if i would consider the fjr a ferrari of motorcycles. i was thinking more of a porsche 928 or a bmw m5? i mean, very, very fast, holds its own in the corners, nice and comfy, but when push comes to shove, is a little heavy to compete with the dedicated sportbikes/sports cars.
howzat?

dean

cincinnati

So, would one choose a crotch rocket for even more performance? Is the difference that large?
Thanks!

If a Harley is an old pick up truck , and a FJR is a Ferrarri, then a liter class pure sport bike is a formula one car...

KM

Sure, if you want to get picky about it. I was just making a point and did say "If"..

Can't really think of the FJR as a Ferrarri myself to be honest here, not because it is not fast or has beautiful lines, but because it is not available in RED.

KM

Knifemaker wrote:

Can't really think of the FJR as a Ferrarri myself to be honest here, not because it is not fast or has beautiful lines,

but because it is not available in RED. :rofl: :rofl: :specool: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :yahoo:

But..., it does have (w/AE) 'paddle shift' -- like a Ferrari....! :)

Yeah, but so does my Miata...and LOOK! it is the same color:

2649555860086768460S500x500Q85.jpg

My last bike was a '04 Vmax. Switching to the FJR was like moving up to a Caddy for the smoothness of the ride and extra room. I do miss the "kick in the pants" acceleration That trys to suck you back off the bike and has a habit of raising the front tire very easy. But as I told my Wife it was a good trade, We gained ALOT of comfort. I''m 52 and going to take an early retirement. The wife and I are planning some long trips next summer, and this is the machine to do it on.

+1 to the FJR will not keep up with liter bikes in serious twisties.

But my little FZ6 does ok, and I am not bent over like I am screwing a turtle. Don't get me wrong the FJR is great for smooth power and corners well for it's size but for fun day rides and taking corners at double plus 5-10 the 6 fits the bill.

Where I used to do all of my riding on the FJR, since I picked up the 6 the FJR is for long distance only.

I previously owned an R1 for 7 years. Loved it, but sadly I simply can't be trusted with that much horsepower in my right hand. Eventually I decided I was getting too old to be a criminal and got tired of constantly checking the mirrors to see if I was being chased by the cops. :huh: The FJR is an excellent bike...for what it is. I definately prefer a sportbike for a daily driver. I've owned alot of them and not all are as uncomfortable as they look. In fact, I'd like my FJR waaaaaayyy better if the pegs were farther back and the bars were lower. I suppose it's a personal fit thing, but it really bugs me that I can go more miles in comfort on my sportbikes than I can on my FJR...that's just wrong. But I'm simply MUCH more comfortable in a sportbike riding position. I'm 45 if that matters.

But when it's time to haul the wife and/or alot of "stuff" on a motorcycle, the FJR can hardly be beat. If I was flying solo full-time, I'm sure I'd pick something else. But for carrying a passenger and alot of stuff, and having a good time in the twisties while doing it, the FJR is an excellent tool for the job. A good rider on an FJR will dust a mediocre rider on a full-blown sportbike. But given equal rider skills, the FJR will lose everytime...by alot. Apples and oranges my friend.

I have an 06 AE that I ride for LDRs and rallies, it is magnificent for those rides. I also have an 05 YZF R1 that I ride only on a track. The R1 is not a bike to be ridden on the public roads at its max or medium performance potential, IMHO. Both of these rides are really not comparable. I am fortunate to have both of them for my riding addiction.

I think that if your going to be making quick 50 - 100 mile jumps for commuting and blowing off steam then a 1000cc crotch rocket is the tool of choice.

The shear acceleration power is unbelievable and very addicting.

If your looking at making 4000 mile, week long cross country trips then the FJR completely rocks compared to the crotch rocket. I've had a Suzuki GSXR 1000

and I replaced it with an 08 FJR and have never regretted it. The FJR has plenty of useable power and I can comfortably ride 500 - 800 miles a day with no aches.

Here are some pics of both:

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

I had put about 150,000 miles on a couple of R1's before getting my FJR and I was not as comfortable on the FJR as I am on the R1. I end up with my back bothering me more on the FJR due to the straighter upright position. But, I certainly don't mind the extra wind protection of the FJR when it gets cold out.

On a related topic, before getting the FJR I rode a buddies CBR1100XX and thought it was way to big to be much of a sportbike. Then a couple months later I rode the FJR from MN to MT and immediately jumped on the CBR so he could try out the FJR. On that ride the CBR felt like a real sportbike in comparison.

I had put about 150,000 miles on a couple of R1's before getting my FJR and I was not as comfortable on the FJR as I am on the R1. I end up with my back bothering me more on the FJR due to the straighter upright position. But, I certainly don't mind the extra wind protection of the FJR when it gets cold out.

Thanks Grady. That's what I meant to say. :)

Butt-burn is a much bigger issue for me on the FJR than on any of my sportbikes as well...for the same reason Grady mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason to love your bike. I find the bag liners really useful. I take them in the store (great at Aldis since you have to buy bags) and shop 'till they're full. Then I know they'll fit, I save the landfill from more garbage, use less gas and have an excuse to go for a ride. Short of buying softner salt, I'll take the bike. Going green and didn't even know it. Tell all the tree huggers, it's the bikers that are saving the world. :rolleyes:

I really like your idea of using the bag liners. I'm gonna try to do all my incidental and produce shopping using my bag liners in the coming week.

My car is in the shop this week for repair of minor bumper damage. As a result, I've been tooling around on the FJR for all my incidental and work related trips. I've noticed over the week that I've organized the placement of all my riding gear to be more handy to put on before getting on the bike. So now, the departure process is only about 2 minutes more than simply getting into the car.

That's not much to give up to get 40 mpg versus 18 mpg. Plus, with our great fall weather, riding the bike around the 'hood has been a real joy!

A good rider on an FJR will dust a mediocre rider on a full-blown sportbike. But given equal rider skills, the FJR will lose everytime...by alot. Apples and oranges my friend.
Not full blown but a friend of mine on a SV1000 is amazed every time that I can walk off and leave him in the twisties on my FJR. He's been on the SV for about 3-4yrs and I've only had the FJR about 4 months but I came from owning sport bikes previously.

He says it messes with his head that a straight up rider with side bags, back rest and tail bag pulls out of sight from him. :clapping: :yahoo:

On the other hand a different very skilled friend on his CBR600 I can't even come close to in the twisties while on the FJR. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been an absolutely great thread! I really appreciate all the replies. I now can see the difference between the two bikes - different classes all together. I am very pleased with my FJR but the lure of the sport bike is beginning to call. ;)

Don't tell my wife!

Mike