FJR 1300 Headlight lamp Change out!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Well, decided to buy some PIAA lights for the FEEG, took me a couple weeks to line up the stock lights

to throw just the right beam. I was frustrated with the poor lighting. I knew the FJR had very good stock

lights, but just could not get the newtome 08's, lined up. Well, after ordering the lights for SUV and for

FJR, I finally pulled up to the garage at night and started tweaking the lights, and EUREKA!!!!

The bulbs were phillips, I really don't know if they are stock, but in there when I got the bike.

But, lights were ordered, and I had to install just to say I can.

The left side was pretty easy, no moving of panels. Just feeling my way through and it went okay. No obstructions.

Thankfully, they have that little square 1/4 inch hole cut out in the housing you can see where to put the

spring pin back in place.

DSCN0209.jpg

Here are the PIAA's that I purchased off of Amazon.

DSCN0211.jpg

Another shot of the bulbs/color of shell.

The right side was a bit more eventful. Had to move the two panels,

a small white electrical junction and a relay switch had to be unhooked from the nose frame.

This done to remove the boot from the headlight backside.

Taped some things aside, as depicted in photos and then was able to remove and install bulbs.

What I speak of:

DSCN0217.jpg

Items that were obstructing the boot removal. Fingers pointing to them.

DSCN0218.jpg

Shot of the items needing to be taped aside..air temp sensor/cable to light adjuster/small junction box electrical.

Finger pointing to the relay switch that was tough to get the rubber boot back mounted on with the frame.

DSCN0205-1.jpg

Here is a shot of the Stock lights. Shots taken, inside garage with the door down and lights off. Daytime outside.

th_DSCN0213.jpg
th_DSCN0214.jpg

Here is a shot of the left side PIAA bulb installed.

DSCN0221.jpg

Here is a shot of the right side and left side installed, PIAA

DSCN0224.jpg

Here is a shot of the PIAA's on bright.

DSCN0206.jpg
DSCN0221.jpg

Side by side shot....I hope this works.

And, since the bulbs I replaced were phillips (made in germany) I just put them in the PIAA case as spares for now.
th_DSCN0220.jpg

And this is a step back shot of the PIAA's on bright.

DSCN0226.jpg

Well, there and it's done. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Much difference- negligible I suppose...but I think so.

*Note, bike never moved in garage during the swap, so the pattern is what it is and can be measured by the garage door panels.

*The PIAA's have a whiter light and they spread out the beams better.

Thanks, and hopes this helps fellow riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not familiar with the PIAA bulbs, but I liked my OSRAM Nightbreakers when I had them in there. Although, now that I switched to McCulloch HID low beams - there isn't even a contest. HID hands down.

+1 for the PIAAs. I've been using them since last fall since part of my commute is after the sun sets. Much brighter than the OEM units.