Fjr...a Downgrade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shep

Reaction score
I have been riding motorcycles nearly all my life. I have owned many Japanese bikes over the years. About 8 years ago I began riding Ducatis and BMWs...not because they were "better," but partly because they were different and appealed to me. Now that I have gone from a BMW GS to the FJR, you would not believe the number of people who have asked me if I "downgraded" to a Yamaha (and I have only had the bike for a week!) What constitutes a "downgrade?" What makes one bike superior/inferior to another? Are European bikes better/worse than Japanese bikes? And if so, says who? I just do not seem motorcycles in this light. Why would I want to limit myself to a particular brand? There are certain machines that I have always wanted to own, regardless of the brand. I rode a GS for years but would have no qualms about owning a V-Strom. I had a Monster, but a Suzuki SV is a wonderful counterpart. I prefer my father-in-law's Gold Wing to his BMW LT. And I must say, I love the FJR! The weather has not really cooperated with me during my first week of ownership; rain and 90 degree temps most days. I managed to get the first 600 miles in a couple days anyway. Downgrade? I don't think so!

Shep

What constitutes a "downgrade?" What makes one bike superior/inferior to another? Are European bikes better/worse than Japanese bikes?
They're simply refering to your cash output.

Euro bikes better? Hmmm. That's ok, I'm well on my way to having a Euro bike...

German brake lines and rotors

German sliders

Italian top case

French brake pads

British tyres

Pretty funny...........currently here in So Cal, you can walk into a beemer dealer, and buy off the showroom floor - and they'll even deal. I have a friend that called around today, hasn't been able to find a new FJR yet. My local dealer told me used FJR's are being sold for full retail, if they are low miles and pristine........Doesn't sound like a downgrade to me. Those that think so, just don't have clue! :D At least here among the eclectic brotherhood, we all appreciate one of the finer things in life! :clap:

You ask a valid question - what defines better? I happened to stop at the local BMW dealer a few days ago, just to kick tires on their new models. In looking at the R1200RT, there are some things to like. It comes pre-farkled with braided stainless brake lines and heated grips, and I thought the luggage and trunk latches were smoother and had a more refined feel than the FJR luggage. So the BMW is not exactly a POS or anything. But I rode the R1150RT before buying the FJR and came away totally uninspired, both by the motor and suspension. Can't imagine the new 1200 is THAT much different. And the price tag is stratospheric - you pay a LOT for the little "roundel" as they call the logo.

All in all, I can't say I'd make a different decision if I went to buy today. The FJR has a lot to like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a BMW rally with my brother a few weekends ago. My brother is a die hard BMW guy, and thats fine. After a nice BB-Q that a dealer cooked up , we were just sittin around talking. A guy was looking at my FJR... He asked who the owner was :beee: ...That would be me I said. He asked why I would buy this bike over a BMW....I said is was really a no brainer, twice the bike, for half the money. :eek: :eek: I am not sure if I will be traveling with my older brother anytime soon.. :clap: :clap:

Gee. Why is anybody surprised? All the Mill-walk-ee fans have been saying: "Why doncha get a REAL mo-cycle 'stead of that Jap-crap!"

At CFO, I happened to walk in to the Days Inn lobby just as a couple (non-riders) were checking in. There were 50+ FJR's there, and a quartet of HD's had arrived a few minutes earlier. Apparently the couple had inquired of the clerk as to what was happening. The clerk said "theres a bunch of people here in a crotch-rocket club, but there's a few Harley-Davidson people here too". Just shook my head.... :huh: For what it's worth, the CFO group was, I thought, extremely well behaved, polite, and happy to talk with passers by about the Feej, us, etc, as I did. The HD's practiced throttle engagement, parked as far from us as possible, and I observed they were the loudest drunks in the Motel bar that night. But at least they have that name recognition that just out-cools us. ;)

I have remarked before to the hd bunch at work that I wanted a motorcycle, not a way of life or a lifestyle.

As for the FJR being a downgrade

It cost less money

I'm good with that

Larry

It is funny that the people that I keep hearing this from are not who I might have expected. My BMW riding friends, for the most part, admire the bike. It has been my non-riding friends who think I have taken a step backward.

A giant leap UP, I would say! I've owned the "prestigious" Euro brands too, and some of them were great bikes, but some weren't...

:bigeyes: Even my mother, who knows nothing about motorcycles, can't remember that I own Yamaha and Suzuki brand motorcycles, and once asked me why I didn't buy a Hardley-Ableson :eek: I guess it's one of those "If you have to ask..." issues.

boardsNbikes

BMW? I ride twice the bike at nearly half the cost. Well, that's not really true in my book. I like 'em all. Wish I had one of every kind. But you can only ride one at a time. Well, I can only ride one at a time, anyway. I'm quite happy with my desision over the BMW. Still might own one someday, though.

I downgraded from a Harley. ..

My FJR is twice the bike for less than half the cost. And I do believe that. But I've farkled my FJR as much as I chromed my HD's. Go figger. Never satisfied, I guess. Performance and lean factor is no comparison, though. Quality every bit as good, if not much better.

But it's all good. All have pro's and con's. Just like the people you meet, and the people that ride.

People say the darndest things, though, don't they? Depending on my mood, I either shine them on, or give it to them straight. Mostly straight. Whether they like it or not.

EagleMike

Have him check with Wilson's in Fresno they have in the past had them sitting on the floor.

rogerfjrfaster :D