Fjr...a Downgrade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, heck, anyone can get a Beemer. They are pretty much old school and available everywhere. I had to special order my FJR bike and wait 6 months for it. It's a very (sniff) exclusive club. :beee:

DeanW said:

Some Farkles (Russell seat) are, in fact, anti-bling.
Hey, hey, hey! That's not what my butt tells me. :bleh:

Status is a funny thing. For many of us it goes completely un-noticed. For some it's all about the status symbol, regardless of everything else. Like Dean said, either be that thing, or get on with being yourself.

Nothing personal, but I seldom give a damn about other's opinions. After all, I'm the one that has to live with my decisions.

:agent:

These threads always amuse me (although, at my age, lot's of things amuse me that probably shouldn't).

I'm on my second BMW K1200LTC. Have thousands of miles on every other tourer (GL1800, Ultra, Venture). Wouldn't trade my beemer for any of 'em. For long distance touring, that is. Consider it the (current) best long distance luxury tourer (for me).

Intended to trade my Hayabusa in on a new K1200S. Rode it. Couldn't wait to get off. Not the bike's performance, it's ergos just didn't fit me. Tried the new RT. Loved the ergos. Hated (always have) the engine, even at the increased HP. Drove to my Honda dealer. Tried the ST1300. Drove to my Yamaha dealer, and traded the Busa for the FJR, which I consider the (current) best available sports tourer (for me). More miles in 8 weeks than on the Busa in 4 years.

Wanted a power cruiser. Bought the Triumph Rocket. Consider it the best power cruiser (currently) available. Puts my eyeballs back in my head every time I ride it. Superb and surprising handing in the twisties. Rides like a sportbike in cruiser clothing. Love it.

Saw the Rune. Thought it was the most beautiful bike I had ever seen; plus Honda quality, reliability, and dealer network. Think it's ugly? Don't care. It's in my garage, not yours. Feel like a superhero every time I ride it. People who don't know anything about bikes or care speed up on the freeway to give me a 'thumbs up'. Don't care about that either. It's how it makes ME feel, not someone else.

Wanted a V-Twin. With power and reliability. Bought a VTX 1800 Retro, put on a power commander, V&H pipes, hypercharger, lots of farkels, and ended up with what Milwaukee should be building but doesn't, at half the price.

Had two HDs. Chrome don't get ya' home. 1988 Softail custom, bored & stroked. Didn't ride it, gave it to my brother-in-law for Christmas. One less bike in the garage to pay insurance for that I didn't ride.

Still have a trick 1999 Dyna-Glide Convertible. Good for posing and HD get-togethers. If I wasn't looking at taking a bath on it, I'd sell it. I don't want to ride bar-2-bar on Sundays. I ride as much as I can, taking 2, 3, and 10-30 day tours. Once I woke up to the myth, I bought higher performance, quality, reliability, and comfort at a lower price. YMMV. Doesn't mean I'm dissing HD. Just feel other options are superior. HD is what it is.

Bottom line?

1) IMHO - ride what you like. If someone else doesn't appreciate or respect your ride - F-'em. It's your ride, not theirs. I'm 'over' HD's. You're not? Good for you. Just don't comparison shop (MHO).

2) IMHO - Dissing other brands is a refuge for those not content and confident in what they ride. Who gives a crap whether (e.g.) some other brand has frame cracks? Does that make your rear drive problem less significant? Love what YOU ride, or dump it. I love seeing the folks who claim not to care about brands, but then buy a HD look-alike and spend the first 4-5 hours working on it to strip every company sticker off their bike so the brand is nowhere to be found, so people who know nothing about motorcycles will think it's out of Wisconsin (BTW - there's more American labor in my VTX then in a new HD). You'll know me when you see me on my VTX or Rune. I'm the one wearing the black jacket with a red 'Honda' on the back. Lookk for the yellow leather Triumph jacket when I'm on the Rocket. You get the idea. HD'ers won't wave back? F-'em. I wave at everything on two wheels.

3) IMHO - If you don't smile waking up in the morning and just thinking about riding the bike you own - you either (1) own the wrong bike (and I don't care what brand it is or how expensive it was- I personally have no use for Ducatis, but appreciate there are those who think they are the best bike going - I have no explanation for Moto Guzzi owners.... ;-)......); and/or (2) you shouldn't be riding motorcycles.

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Sure is hard to discuss a thread like this without touching

on the status thing. It's easy to see that for a lot of riders

"you are what you ride".

The only thing that bothers me about that is that my

beloved FJR is getting a little "long in the tooth".

(This model is getting kinda old)

However, I still don't see any bikes better than

the FJR for what this bike does so well. Even the

much lauded new BMW K bike did not feel like

it is up to the same level as the FJR and it

costs about 50 percent more.

Oh well, I'll just keep on looking! ................ :erm: