FJR and ZX14 Side By Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Methinks you're not the one "getting it" FJRZon.

Your IMHO didn't come until after you trashed the FJR,AND insulted the riders of FJRs.

I think the ZX14 is a Busa wannabe, with yesteryear Testarosa styling.It is also very uncomfortable for anything other than a triple digit trip to the mall,or Starbucks,for a little ego boost.It is pretty much a typical "small penis" bike.

IMHO,it is a great bike though! :D

And the cams that Kawasaki has never seemed to be able to fix through the Concours, ZX11 and ZZR1200's. If you don't put any miles on, I suppose it doesn't matter.
I thought the de-plating of the cam lobes was just a Connie thing. I had assumed it was that Kaw didn't want to bother with fixing an old design that barely sold well enough to avoid being cancelled (and then only because the tooling had been paid for decades ago).

BTW: Mike, You really are mad, eh? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: Mike, You really are mad, eh? :p
I just figured I'd celebrate my birthday week by being "cranky" :argue: and, okay, a little :angrysmiley: . I do read the posts in the "Sportbike" section. When the discussion is under that heading I figure..."free rein, baby". But he continually expounds on the greatness he feels for his ZX-14 on the "FJR FORUM", go figure. That bike's ergos are not a good fit for all people, based on other articles I've read (MCN, and the more popular motorcycle magazines). It WILL work as a sport-tourer and be a very sporty ride, albeit not comfortable for one of my size, age and physical condition. I just don't think the two bikes should be compared head-to-head as if they were created or designed for the same purpose. :rolleyes:

Your IMHO didn't come until after you trashed the FJR,AND insulted the riders of FJRs.

I think the ZX14 is a Busa wannabe, with yesteryear Testarosa styling.It is also very uncomfortable for anything other than a triple digit trip to the mall,or Starbucks,for a little ego boost.It is pretty much a typical "small penis" bike.

IMHO,it is a great bike though! :D

I think you guys ALL need to "chill".

FJRZON has owned a FJR and has ridden on many FJR rides. He has ridden his FJR out to the ST.net meet in WV and to the WV Ramble in WV this past summer. You may or may not recall, he was looking for a way to "lower" his handlebars in some earlier threads.

He has found an ST bike that he likes that is different than an FJR. I hope some of you can handle that...geez :p

He entered into the discussion where the two bikes were compared and gave his opinion. Can you handle that? FJRZON is no troll...he's one of us, or can you guys not handle some guy liking the ZX?

Geez, some of you guys need to check your manhood...yous guys seem to be a little too "thensitive"

FJR is the one and only bike for me - but I like riding with most STN'ers.

Oh Yeah, and...

Happy Birthday there Mikey...

No need to "chill" here.I'm just givin the dude a taste of his own medicine.I don't really believe any of that crap I said,just tyring to make a point.At least I didn't go find a ZX-14 site to post it on.That would be bad form!

Apples and oranges.

Happy Birthday MadMike!!!

Hambone: You are truly the one that feels “inadequate”. Quickly, I never said anything that was to be taken as derogatory about the FJR or its riders. It was simply an observation of how the FJR felt to me. I really liked the FJR and its factory amenities but it just wasn’t a formed-fit motorcycle for me. Simple as that. You are reading into things way too deep and taking them the wrong way. There are obviously pluses and minus with both bikes. Cheers dude!

I got your back, Mikey!
ScooterG: Ya, I bet you are covering MM’s back real good. Enjoy the ride you two. :wubsmiley: LOL.

I think you guys ALL need to "chill".
FJRZON has owned a FJR and has ridden on many FJR rides. He has ridden his FJR out to the ST.net meet in WV and to the WV Ramble in WV this past summer. You may or may not recall, he was looking for a way to "lower" his handlebars in some earlier threads.

He has found an ST bike that he likes that is different than an FJR. I hope some of you can handle that...geez :p

He entered into the discussion where the two bikes were compared and gave his opinion. Can you handle that? FJRZON is no troll...he's one of us, or can you guys not handle some guy liking the ZX?

Geez, some of you guys need to check your manhood...yous guys seem to be a little too "thensitive"

FJR is the one and only bike for me - but I like riding with most STN'ers.
Wheaton: Amen Brother! :clapping: Thanks for the kind words. You and I both know I have much respect for the FJR. Some here just can’t seem to think outside the box or want to. Sometimes forums can just simply be very ambiguous by not seeing the true human emotion.

To the others so intrigued by the ZX-14: Again, you are obviously infatuated with the ZX-14 or you wouldn’t keep tuning in! AND...if you don’t like the ZX-14 then why the F are you reading about it! Again…turn the F’ng channel! Cheers! :drinks:

I love the ergos and in no way would want to go back to that sit-up-and-beg-position of the FJR with its limited ground clearance. Personally, I feel that position is best suited for dirt/adventure & cruisers. But you are right…if you have short arms and are out of shape…then the 14 may not be for you *at least out-of-the-box*. Otherwise, it simply will do all the things the FJR does but with better handling, power and better suited SPORT-touring ergos.
Well,you really hurt my feelings when you said this.(before IMHO)I might have even shed a tear or two.Maybe I am "truly inadequate",but you didn't have to call me fat!

I'm really glad you like your bike.Just because we don't all agree with you doesn't mean we're not able to "think outside of the box".It means we like ours also.

Sometimes forums can just simply be very ambiguous by not seeing the true human emotion.
Huh,what emotion?Who's reading things "way too deeply"?

AND...if you don’t like the ZX-14 then why the F are you reading about it! Again…turn the F’ng channel!
Now you're tellin' me what threads to read??? :assassin:

Thank you for the original post and comparison. I had been considering the 14 myself, but after riding one I'm happy to stay with my FJR.

Hambone, stop instigating. You haven't earned that kind of respect here yet. For someone with a thin skin you sure don't mind swinging for the fences.

-BD

I love the ergos and in no way would want to go back to that sit-up-and-beg-position of the FJR with its limited ground clearance. <snip> if you have short arms and are out of shape…then the 14 may not be for you
How's that not being a d*ck?

On a 500 mile ride you'd be begging to swap for something like the FJR or ST1300 . . or even a Gold Wing.

I walked by the 14 on the showroom. Looks like a rocket-sled for sure . . but a mighty uncomfortable one at that. I would think most FJR owners are looking for something completely different. I might consider the 14 as a second bike . . but then that would open up a host of other choices more suited to a "second bike" for an owner with an FJR in the garage--like the R1, or a GSX.

The most "aggressive" thing I considered that was a serious alternative was the VFR 800 or the Triumph Sprint ST . . but mostly only for their looks and handling. The shaft drive, ergos, wind protection, and bags is more ideally suited for me than the average lay-on-it crotch rocket.

How's that not being a d*ck?
Sic 'em Brundog!!!!

Also,please let me know when I have enough "respect" to challenge someone's,"my bike is better than your bike" post.

Thanks Grievous,I agree 100%.He took a shot at FJR and riders,and we took a shot back.No big deal.

Thank you for the original post and comparison. I had been considering the 14 myself, but after riding one I'm happy to stay with my FJR.
I looked really hard at the 14 but the ergos seemed to be off for me. I like the out of the box FJR bags/shaft drive etc but I must admit that I miss the lower center of gravity/lean with the crotch rocket. I don't miss the numb hands after riding 60-100 miles...too much power to control when you can only feel your forearms :angry:

enjoy the 14 and the afterburner kickin in!

I love my wing, I love my FJR, and I still want a 14..... and a few others. I ride with Harlys on the weekends and kill the canyons above my house after work.

I love ALL bikes........... Well, most anyway, except Harlys. But I want one of those too

I love my wing, I love my FJR, and I still want a 14..... and a few others. I ride with Harlys on the weekends and kill the canyons above my house after work.
I love ALL bikes........... Well, most anyway, except Harlys. But I want one of those too

Damn son, 4 ex-wives! And you can still afford to ride? You must be doing something right...except for getting married.

Damn son, 4 ex-wives! And you can still afford to ride? You must be doing something right...except for getting married.
Nothing exceeds like excess. Variety is the spice of life, and stuff like that. Many think I am daring, the truth is my current 5th wife is the daring one doncha think :yahoo:

I want a bigger garage too

Oops. Never mind... (How do I delete a post anyway?????)

Oops. Never mind... (How do I delete a post anyway?????)
Sure go ahead and change your post now that I am responding to your question "boys, is this what you want". To which I say nope. Still think the FJR has a far superior level of styling and has plenty enough power for these old bones.

Time will tell, however. I haven't seen it in person, but one thing is for sure, that shit on the sidebags has got to go. I think that goes under the heading of over styled. I think someone should have told the designer, "son, son, it's time to put the pencil down. Enough is enough all ready."