FJR Camping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skimmed through the above responses and I didn't see anyone mention this. A simple and secure way to tie things down on the back seat is to tie a strap to the cross bar underthe seats and bring a loop up between the rider and pillion seats. You may want to use a piece of heavy fabric to protect the seat from the strap rubbing on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on a trip to the coast and have done a dry run with the following set up. Medium dry bag which fits two person Eureka tent, large self inflateable matress, and large Columbia sleeping bag. This I strap long ways (does not extend beyond side hard bags) with straps used to secure bikes to bike racks. These are cross secured to the passenger handles and pulled taut. I have plenty of room in the remaining storage for whatever (you know whiskey, beer cooler etc.)

Well .. we have two discussions here.

1. What to pack?

This depends on how you want to camp. Stop-sleep-pack-ride? Then bring less stuff, no cooking gear, etc. Stop-eat-hang out-sleep-eat-hang out-ride? Then you'll cooking junk, a chair unless you are OK with picnic tables (if there is one) etc. BTW MRE' (military rations) are good for "quick camping", with built-in heaters, last forever, nicely packages, etc. Besides, it's fun to see what's in them!

2. Where to pack it?

From my sportbike days I learned where to pack the weight. Being a heavy bike, the FJR isn't as sensitive to this, but the same principle applies: Keep the weight centralized. Best place is back seat. Worst is the topcase. WHat I've done is looped a couple RokStraps to the frame under the seat and behind the seat and pack the heavy stuff (tent, pad, food, etc) into a duffel which I then strap to the back seat. Clothes riding gear in the sidecases. Tank bag for personal stuff I bring into restaurants with me or need access to on the road (money phone granola bars water camera gloves etc). Topcase I avoid - the weight behind the rear axle takes weight off the front tire. If I need it, I'll only put light bulky stuff in there.

In addition to what's been said ALREADY:

Be sure you have a Camelback--or Camelback clone. I got mine at Costco for about $20. Get a couple tubes of "Camelback elixir," too. They're tablets about the size of Alka Seltzer that you drop into the bag and make it pretty much like Gatorade, tasty and extra electrolytes. (By the way, put lots of ice in the bag at any McD's or similar joint soda machine.)

If you find you took too much, every town has UPS or other little mailbox places that will ship whatever you don't want, or souvenirs you pick up along the way. Remember cotton is the worst insulation for clothing, including jeans, and very bulky to pack. I use a sleeping bag liner (mine's from REI) that gives you at least 10 degrees more warmth if needed, and very compact. Easily washable too. Those dried meals in a bag (also found at REI) are easy, light to pack, surprisingly tasty, and require no pot. Dump hot water into the bag to cook! The only pot I carry is just a small one for water for these meals and coffee.

If you don't have one, get an LED headlamp like the Petzl--amazingly handy and batteries last a long time. Be prepared for heat (cooling vest) cold (extra layers and a helmet liner or balaclava) and rain (rain suit or liner, bootcovers are nice). A pair of surgical gloves under your riding gloves can save some misery. Beg a pair at a sandwich shop if you need to. A tank bag is great to hold maps and carry inside restaurants with your valuables. Ummm, spare bulbs, fuses, this could go on and on, couldn't it? Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes:

DSC_2111.jpg

1 bag has clothing, 1 has camping supplies, tent and bag on the seat in weather proof bags. Backbox is for things you need on a regular bassis like camera, snacks, sunscreen. I've since added a Bagster for even more packing space. Not that I really need to carry any more.

I tour one up with no top box. I use a medium sized duffle bag to contain everything that won't fit into the side bags and/or tank bag. I don't put anything in the duffle that I'll need until it's time to set up camp. Here's why: I take off the passenger seat, turn the duffle upside down and run the straps under the bottom side of it. I snap my seat back on and it's secured by the straps. I then put the tent (and even bagged lawn chairs) on the luggage rack and use straps to secure them to the rack and the duffle. If I'm worried about rain, I'll line the duffle with a trash bag. A cheap and effective solution.

Go visit your local REI - as someone suggested earlier. The camping and specifically the backpacking section has about everything

one can imagine in compact, lightweight and tuff as nails gear. Go with the REI branded stuff if you can, it's as good or better than

the overpriced Mt Hardware, Northface, etc 'logo' wanna-be-stuff, and it's cheaper. If you don't have a local store, they have a good

website too.

Big-D,

I am as minimalist as they come, but the FJR can hold more than enough. One thing I could not do without is the SW-Motech luggage rack. The stock one is useless and an aftermarket rack will give you something solid to secure your ties to in the rear. Oh, and it looks good, too.

I got in the habit of sending unused items back home on my first few lengthy trips, and that helped refine my packing list to what it is now. I travel light for a variety of reason, but mainly I saw it as a challenge to not be encumbered by stuff I do not need.

Here is a pic of my usual configuration:

100_5482.jpg

Blue waterproof bag on seat: Tent (Taj 3), footprint, sleeping bag. NOTE: I used a bungie net to secure the bag and it was much better than the traditional straps. Hooked two on the rack, and two under the front hooks of the pannier. Worked great.

Left pannier: Clothes, liners, flip flops, toiletries, book.

Right pannier: Thermarest pad, bike cover, stove, pan, foldable bowls, plates, cups, small LED lantern, air compressor, large knife, microfiber towels.

Tank bag: Radar Detector, MP3 player, clear helmet faceshield, recharge cords, camera, Leatherman Wave, Petzl Zipka (best all around light made!).

Under the seats: Large tool set, first aid kit.

Still room in the bags for a few food items, although I usually hit the store before hitting the campsite for the night.

Not telling you what to pack...just wanted to illustrate much the FJR can carry with only 1 small additional bag. No, the bags were not bulging...they closed easily with room to spare. I camped primitive for 6 weeks with this setup. I am looking at a smaller tent and more packable sleeping bag...and I should be able to use just the panniers. Have fun on your trip!

Regards,

Davy

I am planning a trip into Colorado soon that will take about 10 days. I am going to attempt to camp, but this will be my first camping trip on my FJR and wanted to ask how much crap some of you more experienced camping types have managed to stow-away on you Yamaha. And dare I ask what your favorite method of securing your gear might be? I am asking this because I want to avoid taking more stuff than I will realistically need.
Funny you should ask. I took a very similar trip last year to Colorado. I bought a new tent and a cot (too old to sleep on the ground, didn't want to carry an air bed...), packed all the following in a Helen Two-Wheels large bag that fit on the back seat (crosswise):

Tent, two man, side entrance (to replace an old 'front' entrance;

Go-Kot (www.campingcot.com);

Sleeping bag;

Mattress pad (the cot lets cold air circulate under neath, I didn't want to be cold!)

Bag liner (necessary in Colorado for high country camping even in July or August);

Pillow;

Clothes, cold and hot weather riding gear in top box and panniers.

I camped in great comfort with the Go-Kot/mattress pad combo and enjoyed sitting around a campfire at 9,000 ft at night, spring fed stream gurgling near by (and keeping my cold drinks cold.)

I am planning a trip into Colorado soon that will take about 10 days. I am going to attempt to camp, but this will be my first camping trip on my FJR and wanted to ask how much crap some of you more experienced camping types have managed to stow-away on you Yamaha. And dare I ask what your favorite method of securing your gear might be? I am asking this because I want to avoid taking more stuff than I will realistically need.
Funny you should ask. I took a very similar trip last year to Colorado. I bought a new tent and a cot (too old to sleep on the ground, didn't want to carry an air bed...), packed all the following in a Helen Two-Wheels large bag that fit on the back seat (crosswise):

Tent, two man, side entrance (to replace an old 'front' entrance;

Go-Kot (www.campingcot.com);

Sleeping bag;

Mattress pad (the cot lets cold air circulate under neath, I didn't want to be cold!)

Bag liner (necessary in Colorado for high country camping even in July or August);

Pillow;

Clothes, cold and hot weather riding gear in top box and panniers.

I camped in great comfort with the Go-Kot/mattress pad combo and enjoyed sitting around a campfire at 9,000 ft at night, spring fed stream gurgling near by (and keeping my cold drinks cold.)
That Go-Kot is pretty cool. I will need to look into that if I start camping on the bike more.

Any advice, comments or otherwise suggestions would be appreciated.

I have camped a lot via two wheels, but that was when I rode a Gold Wing and was able to carry way more stuff than I ever needed.

Not sure just where I should post this, but since it pertains how much can be carried on an FJR, this looks as good as any.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little late responding but not on site that frequently.

I have camped with my bikes for many years and have pretty well ironed out what I need, which is often more than I need, but like to include come comfort and convenience items.

Use Coleman gel cans for stove to heat water in camping cup, cup coil for motel, etc.

All my camping gear goes in vinyl satchel and lock to bike with cable on buddy seat. Cover with ground cover and bungee. If I need more space for purchases not fit in topcase, can put under cover. 34 liter topcase only half full in case need more space.

Tank bag for GPS, water bottle, snacks, glove covers, tire gauge, snacks, etc.

Zip-off nylon pants plus one pair lightweight denims, Columbia nylon shorts. nylon camping shirts, nylon and poly undershorts, rain jacket in case of downpour(WalMart)

Waterprooof SISI boots, Aerostich overpants and an assortment of synthetic cycle socks with sock liners. Most stuff is poly, nylon for easy wash and dry. Small hair dryer if stuff doesn't dry from wash or downpour.

Keep list on computer so can adjust for each trip. Current list is for very long trip. Only way to make sure I don't miss a necessity.

[email protected]