FJR Comparisons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddydukes

Reaction score
There's certainly no shortage of riding comparisons between the FJR and the ST...of which the ST often comes out on the losing end...not only by folks here but in many motorcycling mags. But I haven't seen one comparing the FJR and the new Concours.

Is there one? Has anyone here ridden, owned, borrowed a Connie to see how it stands up to the FJR? My impression is the Connie is heavier and doesn't appear to have the cornering ability of the FJR. Interested to hear what others who have experience with the two think.

Keith

The June issue of Sport Rider has a comparo with the Feejer, an ugly Beemer and the fat Concours 14.

Interesting comments about the cornering - you would get lots of arguments from the C14 owners out there.

There have been quite a few comparos - the C14 lost a lot of them for various reasons - one of them complained that C14s brakes were TOO good (go figure).

However of late there have been a couple that put the C14 slightly ahead of the FJR.

The basics are;

C14 is faster in the high end, but slower off the line unless you remove the 'secondary flies'.

C14 brakes are 'better'. I gather that means 'twitchier' by some standards.

C14 has a number of technological advantages - it is a Canbus machine, has that stupid fob, is quipped with factory tire pressre monitoring and so on.

C14 bags are apparently marginally larger, but are placed way too high - the mirrors give you a great view of the bags - then again my mirrors give me a great view of my elbows.

C14 base warranty is 3 years. FJR is 1. Both are extensible.

C14 is somewhat heavier, but it carries the weight a bit lower than FJR - range is impacted as the FJR can go farther on a tank of gas.

C14 runs on premium grade fuel - FJR takes regular.

C14 is slightly smoother. It also has an overdrive 6th gear.

Essentially the bikes are close enough that you just buy the one you like and ride with your buddies, who buy the ones that THEY like.

Oh and the C14 has that really ugly exhaust can..

Last edited by a moderator:
The C14 also requires a lot more maintanence. The cost of downtime and keeping one up, is a deciding factor for some folks.

I have spent plently of time on both and my FJR is a better all around bike.

You missed a big difference. Honda and Yamaha fit and finish are just in a total different league than the C14. The C14 has all the right sales features, but all of the unpainted dark gray plastic and gaps are where they cut costs. I was at a dealer in PHX about 2 months ago and once the sales guy knew I had a FJR and wasn't buying anything, he pointed out a C14 that the owner had taken a bath on, because the guy didn't up-front understand this and it kept bugging him so much.

I read one of the articles from BramFrank's post above. It was a 5 bike comparison and it looked like they really did have to look hard to find good things to say about the Connie. A great engine just isn't enough. THe bike finished next to last in the comparison. And, of course, the FJR was #1.

I have lusted for this bike for so long, I can't wait to put on in the stable.

Keith

I would have set up a test ride on the Concours 14 if it hadn't been for the fact that the damned thing sits so high. I'm not really either short or tall (pretty much just an average Joe), and I was on my tip-toes when I sat on the Concours. Hated it right off the bat.

Daddy, have you tried searching for the information that you seek? I remember seeing several comparisons... FJR to Concours & not only the beaten to death FJR/ST comparo.

I strongly suggest trying a search.

Oh, I see that Mike already helped you.

Motorcycle Consumer News has a comparo but used the 08 Kawi against the 07 Yammie and Honda. Yamaha won. for me the Kawi engine was tempting but the power was not there in the mid range where most of us ride. Kawasaki's power is on the top where it is less frequently used outside of the track. Besides the positive feedback on the Yamaha, it's looks won me over vs. the ugly looks, huge pipe, and uneven hard bags size of the coni. Give that bike a year or two and it will be a better contender. I hear they are sitting on the showroom floor collecting dust. Go to any Kawaski dealer and follow the foot prints to the Yamaha dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that Kawi hasn't addressed the heat issues on the C-14. Another plus for the GenII FJR.

SR-71

Don't know if anyone saw Cycle World, got my issue today. They named the Concours as the top Sport Tourer. That surprised me, especially with some of the other things I've read here and other locations. This is the first time I've seen the Kawi beat the FJR in anything.

IN an old issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, it finished 3rd in a review from last year.

Keith

Don't know if anyone saw Cycle World, got my issue today. They named the Concours as the top Sport Tourer. That surprised me, especially with some of the other things I've read here and other locations. This is the first time I've seen the Kawi beat the FJR in anything.
IN an old issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, it finished 3rd in a review from last year.

Keith
I have ridden them both. Believe me when I saw The new connie 14 is not the sport tourer of the year. Is is damn hot, Ergos leave alot to be dseired adn the bike is just plain old fat. plus limited fuel miles because of the tank size. The connie 14 leaves alot to be desired. I rode the wheels off a connie 1000, Great bike, But when the built the connie 14 they should have kept some of the finer points from its older sister.

Keith

Car, Truck & Bike mags only consider "New or Updated" for those "______ of The Year" which is one big reason they are worthless. They are only the best of the new, not necessarily the best.

Keith

Car, Truck & Bike mags only consider "New or Updated" for those "______ of The Year" which is one big reason they are worthless. They are only the best of the new, not necessarily the best.
And it not worth the emotional energy to get upset or worry about "why"? As I said, I vote with my wallet....evidently others do, too. :blink:

In the long run, any award given by any bike magazine will be measured by the test of time. Let's check back in 5 years! :dribble: Until then, everything anyone wants to say or write has been done....read the links I gave in the beginning!

NOW, lets go for a ride. Hmmmm, how about from Sacramento to Morro Bay for weekend with the NorCal/SoCal FJR owners!?? :yahoo:

THe C14 has some cool features such as KIPASS, tire pressure monitor, 6th gear. That's about it.

I checked out a C14 and it just felt too "plasticky". The fit and finish on the FJR is definitely way better.

I guess you really can't go wrong with either bike.

I have an FJR and never regretted my decision. I love this bike!

mike